Privacy for Josh Allen and Bills' players

Inigo Montoya

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Can see it now. Josh and his gal out to a nice dinner aat one of the finer Buffalo restaurants. Josh drops down on one knee and goes into his coat pocket and Ol' @BTB pushes between em hands her his cell and says "Congrats guys, hey could you snap a quick photo of Josh and I?"

I'd just yell "VICTORY FORMATION!"

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You know the point I'm trying to make here.  Give them their space.  It's the decent thing to do.

depends on the situation.  Harass them when they are grocery shopping, no.  But if you see them in public and say, "go Bills," or "hey, great game," that's totally fair and really, they prob appreciate that.  If your in line next to them somewhere, having a conversation about a game or asking for an autograph/picture also does not seem out of line.  Like most other things, it's context dependent.  I live in Pittsburgh, and Poz's brother lived in the house next to mine.  Poz lived there in the offseason and visited him during the buy week.  I didn't harass him ever, but I'd say go Bills or something.  He seemed to appreciate it, he was also perplexed upon meeting a Bills fan in Pittsburgh.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

depends on the situation.  Harass them when they are grocery shopping, no.  But if you see them in public and say, "go Bills," or "hey, great game," that's totally fair and really, they prob appreciate that.  If your in line next to them somewhere, having a conversation about a game or asking for an autograph/picture also does not seem out of line.  Like most other things, it's context dependent.  I live in Pittsburgh, and Poz's brother lived in the house next to mine.  Poz lived there in the offseason and visited him during the buy week.  I didn't harass him ever, but I'd say go Bills or something.  He seemed to appreciate it, he was also perplexed upon meeting a Bills fan in Pittsburgh.  

To be fair Poz seemed like a guy that would get perplexed by a vast many things. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I feel like they appreciate being treated like normal people. 

Good example: My cousin saw McKenzie out getting food and just gave him the nod instead of blowing up his spot, which he said it looked like McKenzie appreciated. 

Bad example: My ex was super loud saying hi and hugged Tyrod in line for sushi, and although he was as nice as you would expect Tyrod to be, he probably did not appreciate all the other customers there being alerted to his presence. 

• Like (+1) 6

Was standing at Wegmans staring at the prepared foods section and talking to myself about how much mashed potatoes I should buy.  Admittedly I was mumbling out loud and I'm sure the person standing next to me could hear me.  When I looked up and saw the person's face, it was Jack Eichel (pre disaster stage).  I didn't say anything to him but I thought it was pretty funny that Jack was probably like "is this dude really talking to himself about mashed potatoes"?  I leave these guys alone.  I'm an adult.  That sort of stuff should be for kids only.  A friendly "Go Bills" is fine or just a quick hello, but pictures, autographs, prolonged discussion on your opinion on the Bills, leave it be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I feel like they appreciate being treated like normal people. 

Good example: My cousin saw McKenzie out getting food and just gave him the nod instead of blowing up his spot, which he said it looked like McKenzie appreciated. 

Bad example: My ex was super loud saying hi and hugged Tyrod in line for sushi, and although he was as nice as you would expect Tyrod to be, he probably did not appreciate all the other customers there being alerted to his presence. 

^ this.  My friends and I used to see Kelly and his entourage (brother and others) occasionally at Rappls in OP back in the day.  Jeff Wright was there a few times also with Isiah Robertson if I remember correctly.  Just gave them the nod and went about our business, which they seemed to appreciate.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've seen two interviews now where Josh has stated that the thing he laments the most is the loss of his privacy when he goes out around town.  I know we are a celebrity driven culture, and compounding the issue for Josh is that he seems so down to earth that I think people feel comfortable just walking up to him to say hello and asking for a picture.

It would be nice if we as a fan base could make and effort to give Josh and other Bills players some space and privacy if you do happen to see some of them out in town eating dinner or shopping or at a movie.  I think in the Kelly era, Bills players were able to move around and do things and still have their privacy and that is something that they always appreciated and cited as one of the reasons playing in Buffalo was so enjoyable for them.  It would be nice if we could get back to that place again.

If you do see someone like Josh or Knox or Diggs out, try to give them some space.  Let's try to repay their dedication to our city with some personal space.  When you talk to other Bills fans bring this up and maybe we can make a small difference for the guys who play hard for us every week.  This board reaches all across Bill's Mafia, maybe we can start something here that will contribute to our players enjoying their time in Buffalo more and give them another reason to want to stay here.

I'm in total agreement with you but I don't think the people that post on this site are the ones that need to be reminded with your sage advise.  One of us doing such an annoying thing like that, however unintentional, would be inconceivable.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just wait, one day the shoe will be on the other foot. A former Bills player who happens to coach the Titans stopped me in the street this past weekend in Nashville and asked me if I knew who he was. I did and he lit up. However, I heard that he did the same to others around town who didn't know him. Awkward. Aside from loving the community, there's a reason why many former Bills still live in and around Buffalo. Part of it is ego and recognition. Many love it. Probably not to the degree that Josh gets it now, but you can't tell me that Kelly doesn't yearn for this type of attention that he's likely not get anywhere but Buffalo.   

54 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've seen two interviews now where Josh has stated that the thing he laments the most is the loss of his privacy when he goes out around town.  I know we are a celebrity driven culture, and compounding the issue for Josh is that he seems so down to earth that I think people feel comfortable just walking up to him to say hello and asking for a picture.

It would be nice if we as a fan base could make and effort to give Josh and other Bills players some space and privacy if you do happen to see some of them out in town eating dinner or shopping or at a movie.  I think in the Kelly era, Bills players were able to move around and do things and still have their privacy and that is something that they always appreciated and cited as one of the reasons playing in Buffalo was so enjoyable for them.  It would be nice if we could get back to that place again.

If you do see someone like Josh or Knox or Diggs out, try to give them some space.  Let's try to repay their dedication to our city with some personal space.  When you talk to other Bills fans bring this up and maybe we can make a small difference for the guys who play hard for us every week.  This board reaches all across Bill's Mafia, maybe we can start something here that will contribute to our players enjoying their time in Buffalo more and give them another reason to want to stay here.

People just need to be respectful - this goes for celebrities (football players) and just in general. If he is going his “job” i.e at an event or game in a football capacity he has made himself very approachable.  If he is acting in his private life - having dinner with someone then just leave him alone. He recently said in an interview that people all the time now offer to comp him (meals or whatever) and he declines. It’s cool of him to do things like this. As fans we should be cool with him and let him have some semblance of a private personal life.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I remember meeting Bruce Smith/Thurman Thomas/ Bennett and a few other Bills at Jim Kelly's place downtown.  Was at the bar right next to Bruce and hard not to talk to him.  Thomas was having some kind of private party upstairs and plenty of nice woman all over the place,  more woman than men lol!.  Ran into Bennett coming out of the washroom and he was the most talkative of the group.  One of the youngers players got drunk and he was being a good teammate and takin care of him. Kelly's bar now closed was a popular place to run into Bills in their Super bowl years. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Just wait, one day the shoe will be on the other foot. A former Bills player who happens to coach the Titans stopped me in the street this past weekend in Nashville and asked me if I knew who he was. I did and he lit up. However, I heard that he did the same to others around town who didn't know him. Awkward. Aside from loving the community, there's a reason why many former Bills still live in and around Buffalo. Part of it is ego and recognition. Many love it. Probably not to the degree that Josh gets it now, but you can't tell me that Kelly doesn't yearn for this type of attention that he's likely not get anywhere but Buffalo.   

Jim Haslett?!

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Yeah, I get paid millions of dollars for playing a game, but every time I try to leave the house people want to approach me and tell me they love me and how awesome I am. It gets rough."

I can appreciate what Josh is saying. Everyone is wired differently.  No matter how wealthy, how Royal,  they are still human and entitled to a degree of privacy and normalcy.

Nothing too scary has happened to an athlete to date, but there is a history. It can get out of control for some.   As stated above, just use your head and show a little respect.  That goes along way.  John Lennon’s future directs you to the headline below:

AF36C646-0AE0-4CCD-86DA-5EAEC2FB1DEA.webp

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Yeah, I get paid millions of dollars for playing a game, but every time I try to leave the house people want to approach me and tell me they love me and how awesome I am. It gets rough."

I mean this is pretty much true, but at the same time does kind of ignore some things. If these guys want to play at the highest level of this sport with the best players around them and against the best competition this is the only place they can do it. There isn't some alternative less high paid league with the best of the best they could play in to keep their privacy.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

I can appreciate what Josh is saying. Everyone is wired differently.  No matter how wealthy, how Royal,  they are still human and entitled to a degree of privacy and normalcy.

Nothing too scary has happened to an athlete to date, but there is a history. It can get out of control for some.   As stated above, just use your head and show a little respect.  That goes along way.  John Lennon’s future directs you to the headline below:

AF36C646-0AE0-4CCD-86DA-5EAEC2FB1DEA.webp

I trust that you are not comparing Bills(football) fans to the paparazzi.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I trust that you are not comparing Bills(football) fans to the paparazzi.

Definitely not.  But I am suggesting that compensation does not offset all other real life considerations to the public figure. 

Edited by cwater10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Was standing at Wegmans staring at the prepared foods section and talking to myself about how much mashed potatoes I should buy.  Admittedly I was mumbling out loud and I'm sure the person standing next to me could hear me.  When I looked up and saw the person's face, it was Jack Eichel (pre disaster stage).  I didn't say anything to him but I thought it was pretty funny that Jack was probably like "is this dude really talking to himself about mashed potatoes"?  I leave these guys alone.  I'm an adult.  That sort of stuff should be for kids only.  A friendly "Go Bills" is fine or just a quick hello, but pictures, autographs, prolonged discussion on your opinion on the Bills, leave it be.

Mumbling to yourself out loud in public about mashed potatoes... it's probably not only local celebrities that should be wary of crossing your path. If I happen to see someone yelling at the mac'n'cheese in the prepared foods section at Wegmans please forgive me when I run the other way. There was a loud ticking noise that made me think something was about to explode. :lol:

When Wil Wolford opened a business in Louisville, my friend Chuck took me along, he had coached Wil at St. X in high school. Thurman was there and as you would expect when the festivities were over we were talking football. Thurman went over to Chuck's wife who was quietly standing off to the side and struck up a conversation about their kids. I got the impression he was tired of talking football and enjoyed the conversation with someone who wasn't a rabid fan.

I am 99.9% sure I saw McDermott in the Wegmans by the stadium one evening. I was wearing my Zubaz mask (this was during the height of COVID when you had to wear masks in all stores).  I could tell he noticed it and might have smirked (not 100% sure due to masks) but I didn't want to bother him. Plus, if it wasn't him that would have been embarrassing. The guy had an intense vibe just shopping for a few groceries! LOL

You do see players there all the time due to it being right around the corner from the stadium. I can totally see how it would be obnoxious not to be able to run to the store without people bothering you, even though it does to some degree come with the job. There's a lot of guys who can more easily blend in, but imagine for a guy like Allen or one of the OL who is 6'7 300+ lbs it's a bit tougher. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But at the end of the day, even if it was "really bad", I'd have a tough time feeling sorry for them given the money they are making and how quickly that spotlight burns out anyways.

Never understood people acting like it's ok to harass someone because they make a lot of money. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.