Privacy for Josh Allen and Bills' players

Inigo Montoya

I've seen two interviews now where Josh has stated that the thing he laments the most is the loss of his privacy when he goes out around town.  I know we are a celebrity driven culture, and compounding the issue for Josh is that he seems so down to earth that I think people feel comfortable just walking up to him to say hello and asking for a picture.

It would be nice if we as a fan base could make and effort to give Josh and other Bills players some space and privacy if you do happen to see some of them out in town eating dinner or shopping or at a movie.  I think in the Kelly era, Bills players were able to move around and do things and still have their privacy and that is something that they always appreciated and cited as one of the reasons playing in Buffalo was so enjoyable for them.  It would be nice if we could get back to that place again.

If you do see someone like Josh or Knox or Diggs out, try to give them some space.  Let's try to repay their dedication to our city with some personal space.  When you talk to other Bills fans bring this up and maybe we can make a small difference for the guys who play hard for us every week.  This board reaches all across Bill's Mafia, maybe we can start something here that will contribute to our players enjoying their time in Buffalo more and give them another reason to want to stay here.

• Like (+1) 36
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Ehh, I'm not one for approaching celebs in public or bothering them in their day, but they work a job that pays well because of how high profile it is.

If having to deal with fans (who worship you, btw) when out in public is the worst part of making $258M before you are 30, then I dont feel so bad for them.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just use your brain.

If they're eating ......stay away.

If they're walking around Delaware Park then use your judgment.

If they're at the Sabres game - almost always they are open to talking to people during intermission.....for those of you on the 200 level you've seen this all the time.  

Don't be annoying.  And read the room.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Captain_Quint said:

I agree with Dawk above. The higher price tag they make now puts them into more of a celebrity status, IMO, and invites more exposure. 

"Yeah, I get paid millions of dollars for playing a game, but every time I try to leave the house people want to approach me and tell me they love me and how awesome I am. It gets rough."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

To me its a time and place type thing. I met Jim Kelly at a bar once on St Pattys in 2010 because he was being social and ok with people coming up. If I was at a bar and brewery and Allen was mingling a bit I wouldn't feel bad coming up to him. But if he is doing groceries or at a restaurant I am leaving him be and hope others would, same really for any player. I use to work at a bank and frequently met/worked with some of the Sabres, Thomas Vanek especially. 90% of my conversations were what I would have with any of the customers, with the rare occasion if he had a great game or they just clinched the playoffs to bring up that.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Yeah, I get paid millions of dollars for playing a game, but every time I try to leave the house people want to approach me and tell me they love me and how awesome I am. It gets rough."

You know the point I'm trying to make here.  Give them their space.  It's the decent thing to do.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

To me its a time and place type thing. I met Jim Kelly at a bar once on St Pattys in 2010 because he was being social and ok with people coming up. If I was at a bar and brewery and Allen was mingling a bit I wouldn't feel bad coming up to him. But if he is doing groceries or at a restaurant I am leaving him be and hope others would, same really for any player. I use to work at a bank and frequently met/worked with some of the Sabres, Thomas Vanek especially. 90% of my conversations were what I would have with any of the customers, with the rare occasion if he had a great game or they just clinched the playoffs to bring up that.

Seated at a table - absolutely leaving them alone.

But in other situations, you can play it cool, and still have a great interaction without bugging a player. When I saw Ted Washington grocery shopping at BJs and we passed in the aisle I just gave him a "Big Ted, you the man" and a thumbs up and he smiled and was cool about it, but I ended it there. Saw Ronald Darby his rookie year at the mall and gave him a "Hey 2-8, have a great season" in passing, with no further expectation, and he turned around to approach me and chat. When I ran into Karlos Williams at Gabe's Gate and just gave him a quick nod and thumbs up, again he approached me, but that is because my wing order had just arrived and that fatty was trying to get my wings!

Point is, acknowledging a player is usually fine as long as you arent expecting any big interaction or autograph. Give em a nod, a thumbs up, a "Go Bills!" and keep it moving.

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You know the point I'm trying to make here.  Give them their space.  It's the decent thing to do.

There are so many different levels of this though. Makes for an interesting conversation.

But at the end of the day, even if it was "really bad", I'd have a tough time feeling sorry for them given the money they are making and how quickly that spotlight burns out anyways.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Seated at a table - absolutely leaving them alone.

But in other situations, you can play it cool, and still have a great interaction without bugging a player. When I saw Ted Washington grocery shopping at BJs and we passed in the aisle I just gave him a "Big Ted, you the man" and a thumbs up and he smiled and was cool about it, but I ended it there. Saw Ronald Darby his rookie year at the mall and gave him a "Hey 2-8, have a great season" in passing, with no further expectation, and he turned around to approach me and chat. When I ran into Karlos Williams at Gabe's Gate and just gave him a quick nod and thumbs up, again he approached me, but that is because my wing order had just arrived and that fatty was trying to get my wings!

Point is, acknowledging a player is usually fine as long as you arent expecting any big interaction or autograph. Give em a nod, a thumbs up, a "Go Bills!" and keep it moving.

Yea like passing in grocery store like that is cool. Stopping them for picture or autograph is overboard

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’ve never been a worshipper of others. Imagine never being able to just sit down and have a meal without a stream of “ Fans” coming up and bugging you. 
   I feel for Josh and all who gain fame but don’t want it. 

I get what your saying, but he didn't "gain fame and not want it."  You don't enter the NFL and not want fame.  If he didn't want the fame, he can give back 2/3rd of his pay because that's all coming from fame.  Also, I heard the interview that the OP mentioned, and Josh is not hating the fame, he was more saying it took some time to get  used to because he's a reserved guy.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.