Thursday nite football: Broncos at Browns

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The reality is you can put anyone behind that cleveland line and they are running for 100 yards. 

Like Denver all those years, or San Fran more recently. 

That offensive system, with the right coaching and linemen, produces on the ground with just about any league-worthy RBs. 

Granted that the Browns O line made it possible for their 3rd string RB Johnson to get started, but he had a lot to do with his own success as well.  Good sharp decisive cuts, finding gaps past the LOS, and really working for clutch 1st downs on their final drive.  And he had the play almost at the end where he broke free and instead of scoring he went down on his own, to let his team run out the clock.  

Maybe this game was it for him, the big chance to play on a national stage against a truly sucky opponent.  Whatever you want to say, he grabbed the opportunity.

FWIW, I don't think Moss or Motor would have had as good a game as Johnson, with the same O line, the same play calls, the same alignments, etc.  They just don't find the breaks in the D like Johnson did tonight.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Granted that the Browns O line made it possible for their 3rd string RB Johnson to get started, but he had a lot to do with his own success as well.  Good sharp decisive cuts, finding gaps past the LOS, and really working for clutch 1st downs on their final drive.  And he had the play almost at the end where he broke free and instead of scoring he went down on his own, to let his team run out the clock.  

Maybe this game was it for him, the big chance to play on a national stage against a truly sucky opponent.  Whatever you want to say, he grabbed the opportunity.

FWIW, I don't think Moss or Motor would have had as good a game as Johnson, with the same O line, the same play calls, the same alignments, etc.  They just don't find the breaks in the D like Johnson did tonight.

RBs are still proven to be a Dime a Dozen. This game showed it.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, TBBills said:

RBs are still proven to be a Dime a Dozen. This game showed it.

That was my thought too. The Browns can literally roll any street free agent out there and expect to gain 150 on the ground.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s an interior talent issue… their interior line is meh in run blocking… and a pretty weak group all around.

This. They are decent pass blockers, to be fair.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I'm just here to say that I like Teddy Bridgewater. Liked him a lot before his gruesome injury years ago and admired him for even attempting to come back which he has done. But as a qb he has nothing that is impressing me. Cant run (naturally) and his arm is weak. This version of Teddy sucks. Ce La Vie Teddy. the heart is still there but his body is shot for qb. 

He got a career extension as a starter because of that run as a starter on an elite-talent team in NO, but he is NOT a capable starting QB. He is now in Steve DeBerg territory—as Bill Walsh once said about the latter, he’s good enough to get you fired.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He got a career extension as a starter because of that run as a starter on an elite-talent team in NO, but he is NOT a capable starting QB. He is now in Steve DeBerg territory—as Bill Walsh once said about the latter, he’s good enough to get you fired.

Ouch.

Teddy: I'm not sure, but I think he may have just outplayed Case Keenum. Which means he's right there with Keenum: very good backup to have around, always will have a nice run that convinces some GM somewhere that he can be at least a bridge starter, that never works out.

Is Mitch Trubisky cut from the same cloth? If he gets a chance (I hope not) to start a few games this year on a good team, I'd expect a bunch of GMs to decide he should become their starter.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s still available I believe. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-forrest-lamp-works-out-injury-settlement/

Not to us, depending upon the terms of the injury settlement

Injury settlements can also give a team a chance at getting a player back during that same season. There is a rule in place that the team (agreeing to a settlement) can’t resign that player until a minimum of six weeks passes following the amount of weeks of the initial settlement. So for our MCL example, the team cannot resign that player for the first eleven weeks. For a player who did a three week/3 game settlement, his team can’t sign him back until after week nine. However, the player is free to sign with another team.

He just recently signed with the Saints PS so presumably his rehab is finished.  Rehab + 6 weeks.

36 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Ouch.

Teddy: I'm not sure, but I think he may have just outplayed Case Keenum. Which means he's right there with Keenum: very good backup to have around, always will have a nice run that convinces some GM somewhere that he can be at least a bridge starter, that never works out.

Is Mitch Trubisky cut from the same cloth? If he gets a chance (I hope not) to start a few games this year on a good team, I'd expect a bunch of GMs to decide he should become their starter.

Good question about Trubisky. I think he's a lot more talented physically than Keenum and Bridgewater, and he really wasn't that bad in Chicago (but he wasn't great). We'll see.  Guys like Bridgewater and Keenum are ideal backups in that they can get you to 2-2 over a 4-game stretch. But they shouldn't be starters even though over long careers there is a solid chance they'll have that one unicorn season (e.g.,Fitz in 2015; Keenum in 2017; Steve DeBerg in 1990 for the Chiefs). But if you're an evaluator, you gotta know that their manifest limitations mean that they're very unlikely to replicate it. DeBerg was genuinely good in 1990 and the Chiefs went 11-5 (they were good the next year too but not because of his peformance). But this is a guy overall who played from 1978-1998 and finished 53-86-1 as a starter. Fitz is basically the same player: 59-87-1 over 17 seasons so far. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Ouch.

I see Trubisky and Keenum as opposite types of players.  Trubisky has a lot of talent but his problems are above the neck.  Keenum knows what to do but he does not have the physical ability to do it all.  The deeper the pass, the worse he performed because he just doesn’t have a very strong arm. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Except for the Bills.  Which tells me it’s a scheme/blocking issue as much as anything.  

This triggered me to wonder if Allen is making our O-line look better in a way that the RB's can't.  Allen has elite escapeability and this hides the lines deficiencies.  Our RB's on the other hand are not elite and so no hole = no gain.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This triggered me to wonder if Allen is making our O-line look better in a way that the RB's can't.  Allen has elite escapeability and this hides the lines deficiencies.  Our RB's on the other hand are not elite and so no hole = no gain.

Bingo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.