All-22 Grades for Bills/Titans (The Athletic)

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

There really wasn't anything wrong w the playcall. They bring Poyer down into the box on the TE a lot. There were a lot of things execution-wise that allowed that play to happen, but none of them are predictable. Like if Rousseau doesn't lose contain getting blocked by a TE the play goes for 1 yard. If Wallace is faster to recognize that his man is runblocking v Poyer and crashes down like he's supposed to instead of taking that last terrible step backward the play goes for 3 yards. If Milano doesn't slightly overrun his gap and is able to work back the play goes for 5 yards. If Poyer isn't held it goes for 7, if White isn't held it goes for 15, if Hyde takes a better angle it goes for 20.

I don’t disagree with this. But I distinctly remember before this play, that the Titans seemed to be doing something tricky. They did several shifts and maybe changed the side of the play. Maybe that didn’t confuse the Bills— but it looked like it did in real time pre-snap. 

• Agree 1

Idk. Buscaglia just seems like he’s trying outsmart everyone and tell anyone who’s listening that he knows something that they don’t. Every week. Last season it was the their dissatisfaction with and demise of Mitch Morse… two years ago it was how much they loved Dugger and were going to get a “big nickel” to be a key cog in the defense.

I just take his takes with a few grains of salt.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And that will continue till he retires. He's burned every official bridge in existence. Every OC in the league is aware of this and will instruct their tackles to hold him on every play. Please God let this be Jerry & Mario's last season. 

The writings on the wall unless they come back on the cheap. 

Just an odd game looking further back on it, the Bills offense ended up in a shootout mainly because of a big play given up to Henry and some bad redzone inefficiency. The defense came out strong but faded fast. Just have to chalk it up to a tough road loss. Luckily they get a bye week after a physical game. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think the trade that brought Jerry Hughes here is one of the best in Bills' history.  That said, if I never have to hear any version of the following "While he wasn't able to get to the QB, Jerry Hughes had plenty of pressures" again I'll die a happy man.     The guy has made 2.5 million dollars a sack the last 3 years.  

I agree 100%. I like him as a player, but I am so sick of hearing how great a pass rusher he is when he never gets sacks. I get it. Pressures are important. But "great" pass rushers get pressures AND sacks. Doesn't matter if they are double teamed. Doesn't matter if they are held. They finish.

Hughes is a good complementary pass rusher, but he needs a dominant guy on the other side to take away the focus on him in order to play to his potential. That's why he did so well when Mario Williams was on the other side. Hopefully one of the new guys becomes that, but Hughes will probably be gone by the time that happens.

5 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Idk. Buscaglia just seems like he’s trying outsmart everyone and tell anyone who’s listening that he knows something that they don’t. Every week. Last season it was the their dissatisfaction with and demise of Mitch Morse… two years ago it was how much they loved Dugger and were going to get a “big nickel” to be a key cog in the defense.

Hole heartedly agree. I do not know if he is qualified to grade players watching the all-22. I put as much stock in his grades as my friend Joe Schmo sitting on the couch next to me. But kudos to him for doing it.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And that will continue till he retires. He's burned every official bridge in existence. Every OC in the league is aware of this and will instruct their tackles to hold him on every play. Please God let this be Jerry & Mario's last season. 

Would you elaborate on how he burned official bridges? I recall him reportedly alienating officials calling a Patriots game years ago, but was he somehow blacklisted afterwards? He does seem like he never draws holding penalties, but, if that is in fact the case, I never heard why. 

16 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think the trade that brought Jerry Hughes here is one of the best in Bills' history.  That said, if I never have to hear any version of the following "While he wasn't able to get to the QB, Jerry Hughes had plenty of pressures" again I'll die a happy man.     The guy has made 2.5 million dollars a sack the last 3 years.  

Agreed. To read that he had a good game is just crap. The Jets, THE JETS, sacked the crap out of Titans and we couldn't get one. Sometimes this is where looking at analytics is too much. The Bills failed to get to Tannehill and he was able to convert many big passes in the 2nd half especially because of this.

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Agreed. To read that he had a good game is just crap. The Jets, THE JETS, sacked the crap out of Titans and we couldn't get one. Sometimes this is where looking at analytics is too much. The Bills failed to get to Tannehill and he was able to convert many big passes in the 2nd half especially because of this.

He was able to convert so many big passes by freezing the Bills on play action. The Bills never got the point where they just said "forget the run play the pass all the way" on those because they were so terrified of Henry beating them. It was a combination of players and scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I expect the red zone offense to improve big time starting next week…. Can’t see them being bottom in the league in red zone all year.

Which was their strategy last year when they got destroyed…. So I’m not sure why they thought the same game plan would work…. 

Yea, even as a big Leslie Frazier is good truther I did not like the gameplan particularly on Monday, although I think we all accept when you have Henry back there, a guy who runs those middle of the field routes as well as anyone in the league in AJ Brown and Julio Jones as a pure outside guy you are a tough offense to stop, regardless. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was able to convert so many big passes by freezing the Bills on play action. The Bills never got the point where they just said "forget the run play the pass all the way" on those because they were so terrified of Henry beating them. It was a combination of players and scheme. 

Yea the biggest weakness this defense has is the PA. For some reason it’s the one area they freeze like deee in headlights at points.

15 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Take with half a salt-shaker more like.

Singletary in the bottom 5 is a head scratcher for me.

He finished with 5 carries for 27 yards and 5 catches (on 5 targets) for 16 yards. I distinctly remember him breaking a few tackles and creating more yards than what was blocked for him on some of those carries.  

I'm not saying he deserved an A+ or anything, but I thought he did fine with his limited touches. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Singletary in the bottom 5 is a head scratcher for me.

He finished with 5 carries for 27 yards and 5 catches (on 5 targets) for 16 yards. I distinctly remember him breaking a few tackles and creating more yards than what was blocked for him on some of those carries.  

I'm not saying he deserved an A+ or anything, but I thought he did fine with his limited touches. 

He was solid but he did seem to blow a couple protections.

Maybe that was what the guy was referring to?

20 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Top 5 grades:

1) Diggs (A-)

2) Allen (B+)

3) Hughes (B+)

4) Dawkins (B+)

5) Johnson (B+)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst):

1) Milano (C-)

2) Wallace (C)

3) Edmunds (C)

4) Singletary (C)

5) Poyer (C+)

I have never understood how Joe Buscaglia grades players and he is not, to my knowledge, transparent about it at all.

In weeks where Beasley saw 40-50% of the snaps and was targeted 2x, Buscaglia gave him a C or something, no explanation of why.   It seemed totally arbitrary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.