All-22 Grades for Bills/Titans (The Athletic)

HappyDays

1. Josh Allen missed three TD opportunities on one FG drive

during the Bills’ second field goal drive to begin the game, quarterback Josh Allen missed three separate chances for a touchdown that could have changed the early complexion of the game. I want to stress that Allen was one of the top-performing Bills players against the Titans. He helped them to several points and situations that put them in a position to win. However, you can’t ignore some lack of execution, and that occurred three times in a nine-play span that cost the Bills a touchdown and a dominant start to the game.

It’s important to remember that Allen was not the reason the Bills lost the game. They needed much more from the defense. However, the Bills have been one of the worst red zone touchdown teams in the NFL over the last three weeks, making these missed opportunities worth investigating. At least on this drive, it came down to a lack of execution from avoiding penalties and either identifying the open man or making an accurate throw. The opportunities are there, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they clean things up in short order. The passing offense is too explosive to continue stalling in the red zone.

2. Two defensive strengths had their worst game this year

the most surprising development was that two of their best and steadiest defenders had their worst game since the AFC Championship Game.

Weakside linebacker Matt Milano had some good plays, but he was extremely eager to be the point man in stopping Derrick Henry.

Milano was was often caught way too close to the line of scrimmage on play-action passes. He also wasn’t as efficient as a blitzer as he’s been previously in his career. All in all, it was just a rough outing and dropped him from the top of the season-long grades.

Despite strong safety Jordan Poyer’s interception, he struggled as a run defender against the Titans — usually a strength in his game. The Bills positioned him near the line of scrimmage several times to give additional support against Henry, but he had a tough time getting off blocks. A blocking wide receiver took out Poyer on a few plays, including on the 76-yard touchdown run that helped wake up the Titans offense. That play wasn’t Poyer’s fault alone, but the receiver clearly won the rep and Poyer couldn’t even get an arm out to try and slow Henry in the running lane. I wouldn’t expect this trend to continue for either player. It was just a bad outing.

When Spencer Brown’s or Dion Dawkins’ game comes to mind, the immediate impulse is to bring up two game-defining plays. For Brown, it was the sack allowed that led to a first-half Allen interception, and for Dawkins, it’s missing his block on fourth-and-inches at the end of the game. Although both plays were bad reps, both Bills’ offensive tackles had impressive days against a pair of good edge rushers.

Dawkins stonewalled Harold Landry throughout the game. It was a tough assignment for Dawkins because of how well Landry had been playing, but Dawkins remained confident, moved well and rarely gave Landry the runway to get by and affect Allen. Landry’s big pass-rushing rep occurred on a stunt, where he powered through Mitch Morse for a pressure. On the right side, Brown played really well against Bud Dupree. He pancaked his assignment to the ground twice and looked in control most of the game. While, yes, Brown dropped his head and suffered a bad beat against Titans defensive lineman Denico Autry, Brown was a positive performer for a third straight week. Bad plays will happen for young players. It’s a part of life in the NFL. However, given that this was his toughest test yet and he played relatively well, the Bills should be feeling very good about their rookie right tackle through three starts.

4. Jerry Hughes was monstrous

He was quick off the snap and showed the same explosiveness that has made him a staple in the Bills’ starting lineup for nine years. He used that quickness to generate instant pressures on Tannehill and helped to force him into throwaways and inaccurate passes. Hughes also batted down a pass. Hughes remains without a full sack this season, but his pressures were there against the quick-throwing Tannehill.

According to TruMedia and Pro Football Focus, he led all Bills defensive ends with a 16.7 pressure percentage of his pass-rushing snaps.

5. Harrison Phillips did enough to warrant another opportunity

given the Titans’ run game, the Bills gave Phillips a chance, and he smashed his opportunity in limited snaps.

Phillips was getting penetration on run downs and even worked inside for a pressure on a pass-rushing down. Phillips has outperformed Vernon Butler this season in the same amount of game opportunities.

Top 5 grades:

1) Diggs (A-)

2) Allen (B+)

3) Hughes (B+)

4) Dawkins (B+)

5) Johnson (B+)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst):

1) Milano (C-)

2) Wallace (C)

3) Edmunds (C)

4) Singletary (C)

5) Poyer (C+)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

per Joe B  from The Athletic...I approve based on several years of film review...says Hughes had the best penetration at 16%

top 12

image.thumb.png.699263453855cd59a775dd7d7d519a47.png

bottom 12 - some money players who had their worst game of the season by far esp the LBs and DBs (other than Hyde)...haters game for Tremaine

16 Justin Zimmer DT B-            

17 Emmanuel Sanders WR B- 

18  Mitch Morse C        B-                     

19 Greg Rousseau DE   B-

20 Zack Moss  RB B- 

21 Star Lotulelei DT C+

22 Mario Addison DE  C+

23 Tre’Davious White CB C+

24 Jordan Poyer S   C+

25 Devin Singletary RB C

26 Tremaine Edmunds MLB C

27 Levi Wallace CB C

28 Matt Milano WLB C-

I think the trade that brought Jerry Hughes here is one of the best in Bills' history.  That said, if I never have to hear any version of the following "While he wasn't able to get to the QB, Jerry Hughes had plenty of pressures" again I'll die a happy man.     The guy has made 2.5 million dollars a sack the last 3 years.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I mean... when linebackers need to stack up 3 yards behind LOS... I just can't imagine a scenario where they could be given a good grade. There's no linebacker that's ever played the game that could start off in that position and then also drop into coverage successfully against an AJ brown reciever.

looks pretty damn good in these plays where he was part of the action. Shows the same aggression and burst we've seen in previous games this year. He truly is playing different this season than ever before, and he needed to be. Hopefully it continues! My review would have had Hughes, Tre Day, Edmunds and Phillips as the 4 best performing players on defense in this game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think the trade that brought Jerry Hughes here is one of the best in Bills' history.  That said, if I never have to hear any version of the following "While he wasn't able to get to the QB, Jerry Hughes had plenty of pressures" again I'll die a happy man.     The guy has made 2.5 million dollars a sack the last 3 years.  

Hughes is blatantly held on almost every pass play.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Edmunds is pretty sound following his gap assignments on those frontside and backside G pulls, or shedding and filling on stretch runs.

Almost a bit too aggressive and bites on the counters.

Tough assignment for Edmunds with Henry in the mix - have to respect how he can break one to the house with just a bit of daylight and a missed tackle. Needed more help covering passes in the middle of the field in the second half.

I think that TN was ripe for some robber concepts bringing an extra DB or safety to cover the middle that Edmunds was vacating...

There will be a lot for McD to take away from this game.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I believe Poyer conceded that it was his gap Henry burst through for the long TD. He wasn't just in run support that was a run blitz and his assignment was that gap. I know he was held but I didn't like the formation even before the snap. I actually thought "they might need to call timeout here" I could see exactly what was going to happen. We were going to end up with a DB 1 on 1 against Henry with nothing but green grass behind if he couldn't slow him down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe Poyer conceded that it was his gap Henry burst through for the long TD. He wasn't just in run support that was a run blitz and his assignment was that gap. I know he was held but I didn't like the formation even before the snap. I actually thought "they might need to call timeout here" I could see exactly what was going to happen. We were going to end up with a DB 1 on 1 against Henry with nothing but green grass behind if he couldn't slow him down.

I agree. The Titans shifted and changed their offensive formation like 3 or 4 times on that play, and you could almost see the Bills a little slow there in responding. 

1 hour ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Hughes is blatantly held on almost every pass play.

And that will continue till he retires. He's burned every official bridge in existence. Every OC in the league is aware of this and will instruct their tackles to hold him on every play. Please God let this be Jerry & Mario's last season. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree. The Titans shifted and changed their offensive formation like 3 or 4 times on that play, and you could almost see the Bills a little slow there in responding. 

There really wasn't anything wrong w the playcall. They bring Poyer down into the box on the TE a lot. There were a lot of things execution-wise that allowed that play to happen, but none of them are predictable. Like if Rousseau doesn't lose contain getting blocked by a TE the play goes for 1 yard. If Wallace is faster to recognize that his man is runblocking v Poyer and crashes down like he's supposed to instead of taking that last terrible step backward the play goes for 3 yards. If Milano doesn't slightly overrun his gap and is able to work back the play goes for 5 yards. If Poyer isn't held it goes for 7, if White isn't held it goes for 15, if Hyde takes a better angle it goes for 20.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.