Emanuel Sanders - is What Was Lost Worth the Gain ?

T master

Here are the receiver numbers through 6 games and extrapolated out to 16 or 17 games:

Player                     Thru 6                 Yds/Game          16 games     17 games 

Diggs                     463                        77.2             1,235           1,312

Sanders                  413                       68.8             1,101            1,170

Beasley                  303                       50.5               808             859

Knox                      286                        47.7               763               810

This would be the greatest season ever by a Bills WR group and a big reason for it is Sanders. To say he's a problem with that kind of production is pretty crazy. 

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, T master said:

Just wondering yawls thoughts on Emanuel Sanders do you think it was a good move or a bad one ?

To start with last year we had one of the most potent offenses in the league and all of the WR's from last season had a huge impact on that being so Diggs, Davis, Bease, were all a part of making that production happen 2 of them had their best seasons in their NFL career . Enter Emanuel Sanders .

Now don't get me wrong i love Sanders attitude his veteran leadership especially for any rookies or 2 yr players but now you add the fact that because of Sanders being here it seems that Bease & Davis both have had less playing time then you add the fact that Knox production is up this year and add Kumero into the mix it's almost to much of a good thing .

You take away Sanders Bease is still doing what he did last season for the most part every time he hits the field & i think he could have easily scored the amount of TD's to this point that Sanders has so there is no loss there then too Davis could be on the field more plus the fact it has taken a bit of time for Josh to build chemistry with Sanders which he had with Davis all ready .

Too with out Sanders off the roster Kumero would get more playing time and Diggs production has been taken a back seat since his arrival so i just wonder if his presence is really worth what they have gotten for him ?  

Also if you throw in that last week 2 TD's were called back specifically because of him holding on those plays that game would have been a W instead of a L which is on him . Is all that worth the move bringing him in ?

I think the Bills offense would have been just as good if not better this year with out his acquisition because the chemistry with the players that were already here would have had more on field time to develop even further and he wouldn't be missed at all especially given Knox's production along with Sweeney, Kumero, & Mckenzie don't forget him  .

But that's just me so what do you all think ? Can you have too many good players at 1 position and if he was gone where else might the roster had benefitted by him not being here ?

Like i said i really love his team attitude and all that that brings but i don't think what was lost is worth the gain !

You’ve got Beasley on your fantasy team don’t you? Is this sour grapes hating on Sanders? Gotta be right? 

Sanders's addition is bad for Davis... but not for the Bills. Diggs is strangely less open while having a guy that should draw some double teams. More Beasley please also as well. Weird that lately Josh has still put HUGE numbers but with less passes. I mean, many great long plays, which is fine, but less plays by the offense overall. Anyhow, the Bills O is a nightmare for any D coordinators.

Is John Brown what was lost?  Hey, I loved smoke, but it was his time.  He was not on any NFL roster until last week when he was added to Denver's practice squad.  That lack of interest is no accident.  So really, the production loss in 2021 was nill.  The great memories of Smoke in 2020 and 2019 are still valid memories.  They were fun.  They made me smile, especially the dance.   As fans, we get to keep them.   The Bills, as a franchise with a vested interest in sustainable success, just aren't obligated to keep paying for those feel good memories in 2021..  Salary cap realities...

What was gained was a reliable #2 who is a great addition to the team in many ways, tangible and otherwise.  Think of him as a WR version of Frank Gore, except that he can still perform at a very high level.  I think that if you revisit this thought in December, January or even February you will find in an unnecessary exercise.  Beane doing Beane things is to this team's benefit.

• Like (+1) 1

Sanders not only has been productive on the field but he is also the only player on the team with a Super Bowl ring and a ton of playoff experience (I believe he has played in 3 Super Bowls) only Hyde matches him in terms of career playoff games. That off the field mentality has helped the team massively. I loved John Brown in 2019 but he showed his injury form in 2020 and had a high cap hit. Sanders is more reliable and brings off field factors that are positive. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was not a fan of the move. I was wrong. Sanders still has it 

I feel the same way.  I thought that Sanders was, at 34, past his prime and that the fact that he was on his 5th team in about 3 years was indicative that he wasn't a valuable asset.  I also said on this board that I hoped to be proven wrong, and I have been.  Sanders has been great.  I can only conclude that Beane, as a competent NFL GM, knows more than I, as a fan, know.

And yes, I am a big Davis fan and would like to see him get more targets, but he's made some big catches nonetheless and his time will come.  The team is also making a greater commitment to the run, which is necessary and important, but also results in fewer targets for a guy like Davis.

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Does the OP have eyeballs? 

Yes, eyeballs on him. This feels like a cry for attention. 

Three pages in and not another post from the OP addressing or defending the topic. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2