Emanuel Sanders - is What Was Lost Worth the Gain ?

T master

I think Emmanuel Sanders has been excellent.  As the season wears on, Diggs, Beasley, Davis and Sanders will all get their catches.  Some defenses will present a mismatch that will be open all day long.  

The Bills passing offense is largely unstoppable from a strategy perspective.  It has at a minimum 5 good to great pass catchers against defenses that can't match that with 5 pass defenders of equal talent and skill.  As long as everyone is on the same page, the Bills should always be able to move the ball down the field.  

So far he has been our most consistent receiver this season. He is obviously an upgrade.

Him coming in has little to do with other players getting less or more playing time. The Bills want a more balanced approach running the ball and also utilizing TE's in the passing game. That means less instances of 4 WR sets, so guys like Davis aren't on the field as much. Beasley has always had great games and games where he is less utilized just based on the game plan and how things are going. This was the same last year.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, T master said:

Just wondering yawls thoughts on Emanuel Sanders do you think it was a good move or a bad one ?

To start with last year we had one of the most potent offenses in the league and all of the WR's from last season had a huge impact on that being so Diggs, Davis, Bease, were all a part of making that production happen 2 of them had their best seasons in their NFL career . Enter Emanuel Sanders .

Now don't get me wrong i love Sanders attitude his veteran leadership especially for any rookies or 2 yr players but now you add the fact that because of Sanders being here it seems that Bease & Davis both have had less playing time then you add the fact that Knox production is up this year and add Kumero into the mix it's almost to much of a good thing .

You take away Sanders Bease is still doing what he did last season for the most part every time he hits the field & i think he could have easily scored the amount of TD's to this point that Sanders has so there is no loss there then too Davis could be on the field more plus the fact it has taken a bit of time for Josh to build chemistry with Sanders which he had with Davis all ready .

Too with out Sanders off the roster Kumero would get more playing time and Diggs production has been taken a back seat since his arrival so i just wonder if his presence is really worth what they have gotten for him ?  

Also if you throw in that last week 2 TD's were called back specifically because of him holding on those plays that game would have been a W instead of a L which is on him . Is all that worth the move bringing him in ?

I think the Bills offense would have been just as good if not better this year with out his acquisition because the chemistry with the players that were already here would have had more on field time to develop even further and he wouldn't be missed at all especially given Knox's production along with Sweeney, Kumero, & Mckenzie don't forget him  .

But that's just me so what do you all think ? Can you have too many good players at 1 position and if he was gone where else might the roster had benefitted by him not being here ?

Like i said i really love his team attitude and all that that brings but i don't think what was lost is worth the gain !

He's only got 50 fewer receiving yards than Diggs for the season.

I'd say he's been a welcome addition to the team.

• Like (+1) 2

Davis played great last year, no question, but teams were mostly concerned about Diggs so Davis was open for those great sideline catches.  This year Sanders is the 1B to Diggs' 1A, and opposing teams are really stuck.  Neither of them will lead the league in catches, but with Beasley and Knox as well as Davis all in the mix, the Bills as a team could lead the league in passing offense.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

This move was made more for the postseason, imo.  

Sanders has been really good, and gives us a reliable weapon opposite Diggs.  Someone Josh can target 10-12 times in a game and torch an opposing defense with if they shade all their coverage towards Diggs. 

If Davis is truly legit, he'll be legit next year when he, perhaps, gets a bigger role. 

Well said. I love the Sanders move over Smoke. And I know Gabriel & Cole's touches are down but that's also due to the arrival of Knox.  Not everyone can get 10 targets. 

I looked into the numbers for fun to see what was happening looking into the top 4 Receivers from 2020 (Davis, Beasley, Diggs, and Brown) and compared them to this years group of (Davis, Beasley, Diggs, and Sanders) I left out the TE Knox because it has been pretty consistent especially since Knox has been healthy all year so far.  Below are the totals through week 6 in 2020 and 2021:

2020                              2021

Rec/Yards/Tgts               Rec/Yards/Tgts

Davis                    14/194/18                           6/104/10

Beasley                 28/358/37                         33/301/43

Diggs                    42/555/59                          37/463/58

Brown/Sanders     14/194/27                          24/413/39

I don't know who is complaining our receivers are getting about the same amount of balls thrown their way at this point last year.  I think Beasley had more yards because Brown missed one game and didn't have a catch in two more. Davis is not getting his because his numbers were probably inflated at this point because he played more in two games where Brown was MIA/hurt.  Diggs is where he should be (maybe a few more yards would be nice but he is getting his looks) and if Brown stayed healthy all last year he would probably be right where Sanders is this year.  

I like Sanders in this offense better only because he seems to be in the lineup every week (knock on wood). I would like to have seen Davis develop more but to me receivers normally take about 3 years to develop although there is some exceptions to that rule.  I think Davis isn't see as much playing time this year 1. Sanders is healthy and Brown was not 2. limit the chance of Davis getting hurt in case one of the other three goes down (they say he can play all three positions) and 3. Maybe he just isn't there yet. 

My bigger concern is we need to start developing some receivers through the draft and Davis is the only one that seems promising. We will lose Beasley and Sanders probably next year and I my eyes we haven't been able to draft and develop a receiver yet.  I.e. Robert Foster showed promise in his first year then nothing....

• Like (+1) 3

I think I can understand the point that the O seems less fun to watch this year, less gimmicks and less excitement to a certain point.  The fact they have gotten their ass kicked against 2decent teams doesn’t help the perception.  The biggest issue is right back to the same problems as last year.  The OL isn’t very good, the RBs aren’t very good, Allen still isn’t getting time in the pocket consistently and seems to have a little bit of happy feet because of it, oh and Daboll has seemed to come up short in all the big moments since the playoffs last year.   All that said, I think most of it is moot if the OL could find a way to block anyone decent.

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think I can understand the point that the O seems less fun to watch this year, less gimmicks and less excitement to a certain point.  The fact they have gotten their ass kicked against 2decent teams doesn’t help the perception.  The biggest issue is right back to the same problems as last year.  The OL isn’t very good, the RBs aren’t very good, Allen still isn’t getting time in the pocket consistently and seems to have a little bit of happy feet because of it, oh and Daboll has seemed to come up short in all the big moments since the playoffs last year.   All that said, I think most of it is moot if the OL could find a way to block anyone decent.

We "got our ass kicked" by those 2 teams by a total of 10 points. The definition doesn't equate to the actual outcome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

We "got our ass kicked" by those 2 teams by a total of 10 points. The definition doesn't equate to the actual outcome.

Well we all know the box score doesn’t tell the whole story.  Maybe I should have said, “were physically abused by” two decent teams?

Are you suggesting the Bills offense has taken a step back becauase they swapped John Brown for Sanders?  The Bills are 6 in yards per game and 2nd in points.  Last year they were 2 and 2. 

Btw:  If they kicked the FG went to OT and lost they would be first in points scored.....