Emanuel Sanders - is What Was Lost Worth the Gain ?

T master

Just wondering yawls thoughts on Emanuel Sanders do you think it was a good move or a bad one ?

To start with last year we had one of the most potent offenses in the league and all of the WR's from last season had a huge impact on that being so Diggs, Davis, Bease, were all a part of making that production happen 2 of them had their best seasons in their NFL career . Enter Emanuel Sanders .

Now don't get me wrong i love Sanders attitude his veteran leadership especially for any rookies or 2 yr players but now you add the fact that because of Sanders being here it seems that Bease & Davis both have had less playing time then you add the fact that Knox production is up this year and add Kumero into the mix it's almost to much of a good thing .

You take away Sanders Bease is still doing what he did last season for the most part every time he hits the field & i think he could have easily scored the amount of TD's to this point that Sanders has so there is no loss there then too Davis could be on the field more plus the fact it has taken a bit of time for Josh to build chemistry with Sanders which he had with Davis all ready .

Too with out Sanders off the roster Kumero would get more playing time and Diggs production has been taken a back seat since his arrival so i just wonder if his presence is really worth what they have gotten for him ?  

Also if you throw in that last week 2 TD's were called back specifically because of him holding on those plays that game would have been a W instead of a L which is on him . Is all that worth the move bringing him in ?

I think the Bills offense would have been just as good if not better this year with out his acquisition because the chemistry with the players that were already here would have had more on field time to develop even further and he wouldn't be missed at all especially given Knox's production along with Sweeney, Kumero, & Mckenzie don't forget him  .

But that's just me so what do you all think ? Can you have too many good players at 1 position and if he was gone where else might the roster had benefitted by him not being here ?

Like i said i really love his team attitude and all that that brings but i don't think what was lost is worth the gain !

• Vomit 10
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 27
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 11

This move was made more for the postseason, imo.  

Sanders has been really good, and gives us a reliable weapon opposite Diggs.  Someone Josh can target 10-12 times in a game and torch an opposing defense with if they shade all their coverage towards Diggs. 

If Davis is truly legit, he'll be legit next year when he, perhaps, gets a bigger role. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This offense is fine and Sanders will likely be an even bigger factor in the playoffs than he is now.

The biggest mistake this team made was bringing back guys like Feliciano, Darrell Williams, Butler and Addison when most armchair right felt they should have been released/not resigned and money spent elsewhere. And so far the armchair GM's are right as none of these guys are doing much except contributing to the 2 losses we've had so far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, Warcodered said:

So what are we debating the current offense with Sanders(one of the best in the league) against some hypothetical better offense without him?

I mean really?

It's because Diggs isn't putting up ridiculous numbers like last year so some fans need to nitpick.

But most fans should have realized that would be the case, just like the Bills offense as a whole is/was unlikely to match or exceed last year's franchise setting records.

Either way this offense is fine for the most part especially since they are running ball more effectively, big issue is fixing the red zone scoring which I believe there is still time to remedy.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The biggest mistake this team made was bringing back guys like Feliciano, Darrell Williams, Butler and Addison when most armchair right felt they should have been released/not resigned and money spent elsewhere. And so far the armchair GM's are right as none of these guys are doing much except contributing to the 2 losses we've had so far.

And replaced them with who exactly? I understand that those players are maybe not performing to expectations or not playing as well as other players but why would you intentionally create holes in your roster without a viable strategy to plug that hole? If you go into the draft with obvious holes in your roster that messes with the draft strategy and you end up reaching for players because of need instead of taking BPA (see: Ford, Cody & Jones, Zay)

Also it would have been a stretch to say that Daryl Williams wasn't worth re-signing. It was a major concern in the offseason that we'd lose him to FA and he played very well on his 1 year deal last year, the hope was that we WOULD find a way to keep him.

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, T master said:

Just wondering yawls thoughts on Emanuel Sanders do you think it was a good move or a bad one ?

To start with last year we had one of the most potent offenses in the league and all of the WR's from last season had a huge impact on that being so Diggs, Davis, Bease, were all a part of making that production happen 2 of them had their best seasons in their NFL career . Enter Emanuel Sanders .

The Bills are currently averaging 3 ppg more than last year's average.  I think that makes them more potent this year.

• Like (+1) 3

The Bills offense is better this year.  The passing game improved a little beyond what was already deadly, and the running game has improved from C minus to C.  Sanders has a lot to do with the overall improvement.  (So has Knox of course.)  And, he's an experienced leader where I don't think Smoke was the same.

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, uninja said:

And replaced them with who exactly? I understand that those players are maybe not performing to expectations or not playing as well as other players but why would you intentionally create holes in your roster without a viable strategy to plug that hole? If you go into the draft with obvious holes in your roster that messes with the draft strategy and you end up reaching for players because of need instead of taking BPA (see: Ford, Cody & Jones, Zay)

Also it would have been a stretch to say that Daryl Williams wasn't worth re-signing. It was a major concern in the offseason that we'd lose him to FA and he played very well on his 1 year deal last year, the hope was that we WOULD find a way to keep him.

My concern with Darrell Williams is exactly what happened in Carolina, after he had an all pro season there at RT he was hurt and also eventually moved to guard where he struggled.  No he has not been the worst player on this oline but his resigning was essentially a one year deal anyway and he's probably gone next year.

As for Feliciano, he was not good last year and even worse this year. I know fans gravitate to his social media tough guy persona but the play on the field has simply not translated.

As for Addison/Butler, they have a combined 1 sack and while Addison has certainly looked better with less snaps in rotation, Butler has been inactive most weeks.

I guess the overall point is that none of these players were/are essential to this teams success and we could have brought in other outside FA's at a reasonable price or pooled the money on an one impact FA that would presumably be making better contributions at these positions or elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

My concern with Darrell Williams is exactly what happened in Carolina, after he had an all pro season there at RT he was hurt and also eventually moved to guard where he struggled.  No he has not been the worst player on this oline but his resigning was essentially a one year deal anyway and he's probably gone next year.

As for Feliciano, he was not good last year and even worse this year. I know fans gravitate to his social media tough guy persona but the play on the field has simply not translated.

As for Addison/Butler, they have a combined 1 sack and while Addison has certainly looked better with less snaps in rotation, Butler has been inactive most weeks.

I guess the overall point is that none of these players were/are essential to this teams success and we could have brought in other outside FA's at a reasonable price or pooled the money on an one impact FA that would presumably be making better contributions at these positions or elsewhere.

Your comments here are pretty accurate but not relevant to the signing of Sanders.  I think the O line will be next year's Beane project.  He has built a strong and deep roster across the board, so he doesn't need to play whackamole to fill egregious gaps.  Instead he sees where we need to improve the most and addresses the need in a logical and cost-effective way.  I too am disappointed in Feliciano's play this year.  He lost a lot of weight in the offseason which seems like a stupid thing to do, since he's no longer able to bulldoze DTs.