If you're in Buffalo this Saturday, see my band!

Draconator

Just now, LeviF said:

Requesting "Dead Man's Party" and "Read My Mind"

TIA

We have been rehearsing Dead Mans Party. It's a distinct possibility for this Saturday. It's just a really hard song. One of our band motto's is "F**k Danny Elfman". 

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

We have been rehearsing Dead Mans Party. It's a distinct possibility for this Saturday. It's just a really hard song. One of our band motto's is "F**k Danny Elfman". 

Eh. I'm not gonna blame a guy for pursuing other passions, if that's what that's about.

12 minutes ago, Muppy said:

bass players are my Jam and have been for years. Do you know of the bassist named Freebo?

mad respect for your profession. Have a blast!

#GibsonRipper

I wasn't familiar with Freebo, but after a quick search, was very impressed that he's one of those studio musicians that everyone works with, because he's that good! Also touring with Bonnie Raitt is a great thing as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I wasn't familiar with Freebo, but after a quick search, was very impressed that he's one of those studio musicians that everyone works with, because he's that good! Also touring with Bonnie Raitt is a great thing as well. 

my son plays a vintage black ripper (same guitar as Gene Simmons of Kiss) He owned a blonde one previous it was destroyed in hurricane sandy but son played it at Coachella. It was a blonde ripper that Nirvanas bass player played back in the day also.

5 minutes ago, Muppy said:

my son plays a vintage black ripper (same guitar as Gene Simmons of Kiss) He owned a blonde one previous it was destroyed in hurricane sandy but son played it at Coachella. It was a blonde ripper that Nirvanas bass player played back in the day also.

Very, very cool! Sad to hear that the blonde ripper was destroyed in the hurricane.

I'd like to start collecting basses. The only "vintage" bass I would buy would be a 1963 Fender Jazz in Lake Placid Blue. Otherwise, I would go with more exotic basses like a Gus Bass, carbon fibre construction. 

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Very, very cool! Sad to hear that the blonde ripper was destroyed in the hurricane.

I'd like to start collecting basses. The only "vintage" bass I would buy would be a 1963 Fender Jazz in Lake Placid Blue. Otherwise, I would go with more exotic basses like a Gus Bass, carbon fibre construction. 

I bring my son to play at a local blues jam on occasion.  There is a bassist who is usually there.  He's got a 1971 Fender Jazz that he bought new in 1971 and has had ever since.  It's more of a blonde/natural finish, but I love the 50 years of natural wear and it sounds delightful.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I bring my son to play at a local blues jam on occasion.  There is a bassist who is usually there.  He's got a 1971 Fender Jazz that he bought new in 1971 and has had ever since.  It's more of a blonde/natural finish, but I love the 50 years of natural wear and it sounds delightful.

I have Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass, where he showcases the 350 basses in his collection. His favorite basses are the ones who have the finish worn down on the body, and the frets slightly worn, because those types of basses have been used in bars and other gigs, and each one of those basses has a story unique to that instrument. 

I only have 2 basses, and my 5 string has a very special story to it. It was originally owned by a good friend of mine. Knew Steve for about 17 years before he passed away of a heart attack at 50. Steve's sister gave all of his basses to the top local bassist in Buffalo, Jim Wynne who was best friends with Steve. Jim is also my bass instructor. So one day Jim asked me if I ever considered playing a 5 string. I said I would definitely consider it, and in next weeks lesson Jim had Steve's 5 string all ready for me to take home. Jim has Steve's Rickenbacker 4001, but to this day Jim's Rickenbacker and my 5 string are still considered to be "Steve's bass". 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

Saw Oingo Boingo a couple of years ago.  They were ok without Danny.  

57 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Saw Oingo Boingo a couple of years ago.  They were ok without Danny.  

My ex and daughter bought tickets to see Oingo Boingo former members Halloween Night in San Diego. Show sold out. Then it was announced that Danny will be joining the band for that show. 

13 minutes ago, Draconator said:

My ex and daughter bought tickets to see Oingo Boingo former members Halloween Night in San Diego. Show sold out. Then it was announced that Danny will be joining the band for that show. 

This was a Halloween show a couple of years ago at a small club here in South Orange County.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.