Mike Bossy has lung cancer: Update: He has passed away

Draconator

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Its being reported on Isles sites that his condition took a turn for the worse. They have stopped treatments and he will spend his last days at home with his family. A legend and one best pure goal scorers to ever play the game. Cancer sucks but its also a reminder not to smoke. Bossy was a heavy smoker. 

Sad to hear this - he clearly was an all-time great player.

• Like (+1) 1

Fingers crossed for Bossy, or anyone with the Big C.

As a kid in the '70s, I waited many times to see the Sabres get off busses and after practice.   I was always shocked to see professional athletes, especially my "heroes," smoking like chimneys.   The French Connection, in particular.    It was a French Canadian thing, as all the Montreal guys did the same.     

On 10/21/2021 at 7:45 AM, Pete said:

Guy Lafleur used to smoke on bench.  Mario Lemoix smoked too.  How can professional athlete smoke and retain elite lung capacity?  Man what a different era

Alex Mogilny smoked--I saw him do it many times in bars around Buffalo.

I also watched Theo Flery (another speedster) smoke in a bar after a Flames/Sabres game one night at a bar near the Aud.

Obviously, you can smoke and still have elite speed.  It's just a question of "mindset" that would prevent someone from doing it.

Rob Ray over the years has told some great stories about Sasha (Alex Mogilny) telling Rob "you have to smoke to open your lungs" and he would do it before the game...

He also once told Rob he had a cold/flu type bug and his method for defeating it was to drink vodka and sit in a sauna for a while---to "open the lungs" and what not.  

LOL

On 10/21/2021 at 7:42 AM, Greg S said:

As an Isles fan he is my favorite Islander player. Have his jersey with his autograph on it. One of the all-time greatest goal scorers in NHL history. Wishing #22 a full recovery. 

He's one of my favorites of all time.  For me, he is the #1 perfect epitome of the "finisher" that we wish everyone could be.  A freak who had a natural knack for finding a way to get the puck in the net.

Hockey IQ off the charts, immense natural skill, would be totally dominant in any era, especially now, when no one would likely lay a hand on him.  The game is so much less physical now.

He'd get right in close to the net and snipe away.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Draconator changed the title to Mike Bossy has lung cancer: Update: He has passed away

Can you imagine averaging 57 goals a year, for all 10 years of your NHL career?

Can you imagine if the Sabres sign a kid this spring who is about to do that?!

He was the best finisher of all time for my money!

RIP

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.