Mike Bossy has lung cancer: Update: He has passed away

Draconator

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-islanders-mike-bossy-diagnosed-with-cancer/c-327009296

Mike Bossy has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is stepping away from his role as a hockey analyst with TVA Sports.

The 64-year-old Hockey Hall of Famer announced his illness Tuesday in an open letter in French on TVA Sports' website.

"For more than six years, through TVA Sports, you have allowed me to enter your living rooms," Bossy wrote. "I've had the privilege of telling you about the game as I understand it, and as I know it. … I wanted to share my experiences with you and you have always been attentive to my words. Thank you.

"Today it is with sadness that I must retire from your screens for a mandatory break. A necessary break during which I will have to receive treatment for lung cancer.

More in the article

Edited by Draconator

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Guy Lafleur used to smoke on bench.  Mario Lemoix smoked too.  How can professional athlete smoke and retain elite lung capacity?  Man what a different era

I think it's society in general not just athletes. You look at all those old movies or tv shows like I love Lucy and everyone was smoking. As it became obvious that smoking was no good people started to become more health conscious. Nowadays you can't smoke in bars, restaurants, buildings, and other public places. You also see less people smoking in today's world. Like you said a different era.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Guy Lafleur used to smoke on bench.  Mario Lemoix smoked too.  How can professional athlete smoke and retain elite lung capacity?  Man what a different era

Alex Mogilny used to smoke...didn't slow him down much on the ice, did it?

In the very early '90s, I was in a bar with some buddies, downtown, immediately following a Sabres vs. Flames game at the old Aud.  

At least half the Flames team was at and around the bar.

I always remember being amazed that little Theo Fleury (who could fly) and Mike Vernon (excellent goalie) were smoking at the bar!  I was like "I can't believe that!"

My buddies and I got the autograph of tough guy Craig Berube on a cocktail napkin.  He was a super nice guy.

My one buddy approached another though guy Paul Kruse (who had gotten in a fight that night) and said "Hey man, great fight!"  

He was immediately friendly to us, talkative, and I think he was pleasantly surprised that someone knew who he was.

Good times! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

In the very early '90s, I was in a bar with some buddies, downtown, immediately following a Sabres vs. Flames game at the old Aud.  

I always remember being amazed that little Theo Fleury (who could fly) and Mike Vernon (excellent goalie) were smoking at the bar!  I was like "I can't believe that!"

My buddies and I got the autograph of tough guy Craig Berube on a cocktail napkin.  He was a super nice guy.

My one buddy approached another though guy Paul Kruse (who had gotten in a fight that night) and said "Hey man, great fight!"  

He was immediately friendly to us, talkative, and I think he was pleasantly surprised that someone knew who he was.

Good times! 

One time at the old American Sports Bar and Grill on Transit Road, Petr Svoboda came in, and sat down at the bar right next to me and a friend of mine. We didn't ask for any photos or autographs. Just talked to him and his buddy like regular guys. He ended up buying all of us as many wings as we wanted to eat and a few pitchers of beer. He was just so happy to be out of Montreal and in Buffalo where he could go out and be himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

As an Isles fan he is my favorite Islander player. Have his jersey with his autograph on it. One of the all-time greatest goal scorers in NHL history. Wishing #22 a full recovery. 

I am sorry to hear this news.

Mike Bossy is, without a doubt, one of the top 3 or 4 all time best "finishers."

Talk about a sniper who had a 6th sense for putting the puck in the net.

He was a freak of goal scoring! 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Good times! 

On a completely different note I always thought the Atlanta Flames was a pretty effed up name.  Kind of like calling a team the LA Riots.  

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

On a completely different note I always thought the Atlanta Flames was a pretty effed up name.  Kind of like calling a team the LA Riots.  

They were the Calgary Flames at that point in time (in my story) but they obviously came from Atlanta and yes, that is kind of a weird nickname.   The NHL loves to stick hockey teams in towns where they have no business being.  We have a whole bunch of them in the league now.  I'm so glad that franchise got the hell out of Atlanta.

The irony is that they actually got a second crack at it, too!   

23 hours ago, Draconator said:

One time at the old American Sports Bar and Grill on Transit Road, Petr Svoboda came in, and sat down at the bar right next to me and a friend of mine. We didn't ask for any photos or autographs. Just talked to him and his buddy like regular guys. He ended up buying all of us as many wings as we wanted to eat and a few pitchers of beer. He was just so happy to be out of Montreal and in Buffalo where he could go out and be himself. 

Interesting story!  I wonder if he moved back to Czech Republic or if he still resides in N. America.  Probably went back home.  

On another occasion around the same time as my Flames story, we were out at Colter Bay on corner of Delaware and Allen.  Probably a Saturday night.  

My buddies and I were just standing around drinking beer kind of near the back side of the bar, away from the front door.

Out of nowhere, Sabres player Bob Sweeney pops into the bar, walking quickly and purposefully, alone.  He went straight through the bar, toward the back, through the door that led to the kitchen, and into the kitchen.  He did it like he knew the layout of the bar well and had done this 100 times!  

Maybe 30 seconds later he emerged from the kitchen, and just as quickly, left the bar out the front door.  Never stopped or talked to a  soul out in the bar area.  

We were all laughing, all of us being hockey players, college kids, and big Sabres fans, and immediately recognizing Sweeney.  The joke among ourselves was that his drug dealer worked in the kitchen there and Bob needed to make an emergency purchase.

I have NO idea if that is actually what happened, but it's pretty much the only thing that makes sense.

PS:  If anyone else has other random Sabre/hockey player spotting stories, I'd love to hear them! I have more...I'm happy to share more if there is interest.

I was in undergrad from 1989-1993 in Buffalo and that is the era when my buddies and I were interacting with Sabres regularly in bars around Buffalo.  It's such a small town! 

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

PS:  If anyone else has other random Sabre/hockey player spotting stories, I'd love to hear them! I have more...I'm happy to share more if there is interest.

I was in undergrad from 1989-1993 in Buffalo and that is the era when my buddies and I were interacting with Sabres regularly in bars around Buffalo.  It's such a small town! 

During the summer of 1996, I actually worked for the Sabres as a temp. I must have made an impression as I was selected to be one of the move captains from the Aud to the Arena, and my job was to categorize each Sabres game in history via video tape. I can't tell you how many times I watched the French Connection on tape at 2 am in the Aud. 

As for player stories, I have a ton. The thing that stands out head and shoulders above the rest is Pat LaFontaine, and his love of practical jokes! 

This actually happened. Matthew Barnaby brought a 18 year old girl home. Jason Dawe lived across the street from Barnaby. Barnaby called up Dawe, and they "had a night" with this girl. Of course they bragged about it the next day in the locker room. Somewhere lost in translation someone said this girl was 17. That got Pat's light bulbs burning bright. He called the NY State Police and made a donation to a charity of their choice. In return, they sent a police car with officers to Barnaby's and Dawe's house, and fake arrested them for sex with a minor. Mug shots, fingerprints, everything. Barnaby and Dawe were sweating bullets as they were trying to keep this from Muckler. Finally they went into Mucklers office. Muckler, in on the joke, was told, and he immediately threw his phone against the wall so hard, it put a hole in the wall. Barnaby and Dawe were apologizing left and right to Muckler. Muckler then said "I don't care what you did with some girl. You two idiots couldn't tell Pat was behind this?" To which LaFontaine poked his head around the corner and simply said, "gotcha". 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, Draconator said:

During the summer of 1996, I actually worked for the Sabres as a temp. I must have made an impression as I was selected to be one of the move captains from the Aud to the Arena, and my job was to categorize each Sabres game in history via video tape. I can't tell you how many times I watched the French Connection on tape at 2 am in the Aud. 

As for player stories, I have a ton. The thing that stands out head and shoulders above the rest is Pat LaFontaine, and his love of practical jokes! 

This actually happened. Matthew Barnaby brought a 18 year old girl home. Jason Dawe lived across the street from Barnaby. Barnaby called up Dawe, and they "had a night" with this girl. Of course they bragged about it the next day in the locker room. Somewhere lost in translation someone said this girl was 17. That got Pat's light bulbs burning bright. He called the NY State Police and made a donation to a charity of their choice. In return, they sent a police car with officers to Barnaby's and Dawe's house, and fake arrested them for sex with a minor. Mug shots, fingerprints, everything. Barnaby and Dawe were sweating bullets as they were trying to keep this from Muckler. Finally they went into Mucklers office. Muckler, in on the joke, was told, and he immediately threw his phone against the wall so hard, it put a hole in the wall. Barnaby and Dawe were apologizing left and right to Muckler. Muckler then said "I don't care what you did with some girl. You two idiots couldn't tell Pat was behind this?" To which LaFontaine poked his head around the corner and simply said, "gotcha". 

Holy *****.  This is awesome!  Keep the stories coming! 

And I'd actually enjoy hearing more about your video project.

The funny thing is I have a good friend who, for about 10 years, lived off N. French Rd. in E. Amherst in a nice neighborhood and across the street and down 2 or 3 houses lived...Jason Dawe!  While still playing for the Sabres! 

I'm guessing the Night of the 18 Year Old occurred at a different location and different point in time when Dawe did not live on that street, seeing as Barnaby never lived down the street.  

I'm pretty sure Dawe was married and maybe even had a baby by the time he lived across the street from my buddy.

Ironically, who did live like 5 houses down the street from my buddy?  Dan Kelly, brother of then QB of the Bills Jim Kelly.

Buffalo is such a small place.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Holy *****.  This is awesome!  Keep the stories coming! 

And I'd actually enjoy hearing more about your video project.

The funny thing is I have a good friend who, for about 10 years, lived off N. French Rd. in E. Amherst in a nice neighborhood and across the street and down 2 or 3 houses lived...Jason Dawe!  While still playing for the Sabres! 

I'm guessing the Night of the 18 Year Old occurred at a different location and different point in time when Dawe did not live on that street, seeing as Barnaby never lived down the street.  

I'm pretty sure Dawe was married and maybe even had a baby by the time he lived across the street from my buddy.

Ironically, who did live like 5 houses down the street from my buddy?  Dan Kelly, brother of then QB of the Bills Jim Kelly.

Buffalo is such a small place.

Another great story involving Pat. The Public Relations Liaison, Dee (forgot her last name), was going over some public appearances with Pat, but she was all in a rush and panic as she didn't want to be late for her to make her first house payment, in person, at the bank. Of course Pat picked up on this. Called a friend of his who owned a construction company, and had every window and door boarded up with plywood in less than an hour. Pat then had fake eviction notices printed, and taped them to Dee's front door. So by the time Dee came home, she sees her house boarded up with eviction notices. Her very first reaction was to call Pat and tell him how much of a f**ing ####### he is. 

Edited by Draconator

On 10/21/2021 at 6:45 AM, Pete said:

My father smoked non-filter Camel cigs... Could beat anyone holding their breath swimming...

...He had a operation years ago.  Gall bladder out.   In hospital,  they gave him the "lung capacity" test where you hold up the balls.  He held them there so long the doctor looked on the side table and said: "Give me one of those Camel's!!!"

Honestly... Can you even bring cigarettes into a hospital now, let alone smoke then there! 😆🤣😂 

Anyway... You hear the potheads making same argument now.  Watch lung cancer soar in coming years.

My father died nor of lung cancer but circulatory issues.   Terrible pain at the end... But he was 84...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 5 months later...

Its being reported on Isles sites that his condition took a turn for the worse. They have stopped treatments and he will spend his last days at home with his family. A legend and one best pure goal scorers to ever play the game. Cancer sucks but its also a reminder not to smoke. Bossy was a heavy smoker. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.