Is being the one seed THAT important?

Steptide

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

The last team playing 3 road games as a WC and winning the Super Bowl was the Giants with Manning. That usually doesn't happen. Getting the #1 seed would be huge for the Bills. I think it will come down to the Bills and Ravens as to who gets it.

If I’m not mistaken, the Bucs just did it last year.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

If I’m not mistaken, the Bucs just did it last year.

Did they? I actually forgot who won that division and did they play 3 road games. I remember GB and I think WAS on the road but I don't remember the other game.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes they did…. @Washington, @New orleans, @ GB….. I don’t think anyone’s saying the Bills can’t go to the SB unless they are the one seed…. But it absolutely makes a difference. 

I would hope the Bills could avoid KC on the road (don't want them to have to win twice there in one year) and Baltimore. Any other road game I think the Bills would have a very good shot. That said I want two playoff games in OP.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes they did…. @Washington, @New orleans, @ GB….. I don’t think anyone’s saying the Bills can’t go to the SB unless they are the one seed…. But it absolutely makes a difference. 

49 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

They have the GOAT which was obviously a big reason for that given his post season resume.

They were also only the 3rd WC team in NFL history to win 3 road playoff games to get to a SB.

Oh, I definitely think the #1 seed is important. I was just simply stating that the Bucs were the last team to win three road road playoff games and then win the Super Bowl.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:34 PM, Steptide said:

This seems to be one of the things I hear talked about the most on local radio and here between Bill's fans. Call me ignorant, but why is it so important? Even if we played the afc championship in buffalo last year, I don't think the outcome would've been any different. 

Don't get me wrong, if we were to get a 1st round bye and home field advantage in the playoffs, that's not a bad thing, but at the end of the day, the 2 best teams are gonna end up in the superbowl. I'm all for getting the 1 seed , but just don't understand why it's such a huge focus . Is there statistical proof that a 1 seed has a better chance to win the superbowl?

For me IF we had a dome yes. We don’t. So I would rather see the best possible conditions for our high powered offense in January 

With only 1 first round bye now, it's more important than it's ever been.

People can say they worry about the bye making you rusty or come out the gate a bit slow, but after a 17 game season, we have no idea what kind of shape our players will be in or who's recovering from injury. I think the players would take it 10/10 times if given the chance, and I trust this coaching staff will have them prepared without losing momentum.

12 hours ago, TBBills said:

Talking about playoffs totally different atmosphere.

Yup. 

No tomato cans in the playoffs. When the Jets, Jags and Texans play at home they're still likely to lose. 

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes. That. 

It makes a real, perceptible, very statistically significant difference.

Edited by Thurman#1

1990-91 Bills #1 seed = SB

1991-2 Bills #1 seed = SB

1992-3 Biils #4 seed = SB (Greatest comeback ever)

1993-4 Bills #1 seed = SB

A Bye and Homefield through out is absolutely huge. I'm still not a fan of the expanded playoffs overall. I like the old format of #1 and #2 getting a bye week. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.