Bills TE Dawson Knox out a few weeks following surgery on broken hand

muppy

On 10/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, YoloinOhio said:

So here's a photo.  I wouldn't call that a "band aid" but it is a relatively small surgical dressing

image.thumb.png.603b97420beeb9bc6a90376f5374c085.png

I think Banged Up can actually do a little bit better than that.

image.thumb.png.956c0df6d0214c4892bfba50adb46cb0.png

Judging by the position of the bandage, it seems most likely that the two bones broken were the 3rd and 4th metacarpal bones, not the 5th (pinkie) or 2nd (pointer). 

This may be a Good thing, because in addition to the plate that was probably put in (see Trimble's analysis with a nifty picture here if your tummy is up to it), the 3rd and 4th metacarpals will be self-splinted to some extent by the 2nd and 5th metacarpals that flank them, vs needing something to splint them.

My understanding (and this is NOT my lane, I just know a hand surgeon) is that the 5th metacarpal bone is a very common injury during an outstretched arm fall, and would need prolonged protection to prevent re-injury.  I believe the 2nd forms the critical "pocket" a properly caught pass thumps into.  So if he has to break his hand, these may be easier to heal/protect.  Which is not to say that they don't matter, and don't need to heal for a couple weeks. 

But it doesn't sound as though Knox be going on IR and he may only miss the MIA game and maybe 1 more.

( @Muppy "looks good in shorts" alert)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's a photo.  I wouldn't call that a "band aid" but it is a relatively small surgical dressing

image.thumb.png.603b97420beeb9bc6a90376f5374c085.png

I think Banged Up can actually do a little bit better than that.

image.thumb.png.956c0df6d0214c4892bfba50adb46cb0.png

Judging by the position of the bandage, it seems most likely that the two bones broken were the 3rd and 4th metacarpal bones, not the 5th (pinkie) or 2nd (pointer). 

This may be a Good thing, because in addition to the plate that was probably put in (see Trimble's analysis with a nifty picture here if your tummy is up to it), the 3rd and 4th metacarpals will be self-splinted to some extent by the 2nd and 5th metacarpals that flank them, vs needing something to splint them.

My understanding (and this is NOT my lane, I just know a hand surgeon) is that the 5th metacarpal bone is a very common injury during an outstretched arm fall, and would need prolonged protection to prevent re-injury.  I believe the 2nd forms the critical "pocket" a properly caught pass thumps into.  So if he has to break his hand, these may be easier to heal/protect.  Which is not to say that they don't matter, and don't need to heal for a couple weeks. 

But it doesn't sound as though Knox be going on IR and he may only miss the MIA game and maybe 1 more.

( @Muppy "looks good in shorts" alert)

BOOM what was that?  That's the sound of muppy fainting with joy from  hapless bill fan again Killing it with the epic post and  dawson pics ****swoooon*****

lol atta boy hap!!! :-)))))))

I just want he to recover fast and return as mad and strong and studly as always haha

GO BILLS!~!~!~!!!

Edited by Muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.