Bills TE Dawson Knox out a few weeks following surgery on broken hand

muppy

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

OK so the news in that piece is that there were two broken bones, one of which didn't show up on the xray and was found during the surgery.  I think that would have to be a hairline fracture, as those can be missed until about 2-3 weeks when they start to calcify.

Other than that it's Garafolo's speculation, saying "3 weeks" but also "the timeline is fluid" which is just another way of saying "he plans to hit the earlier side of the 3-4 week estimate"

On 10/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hockey players don't need to catch passes from Josh Allen.

No just vulcanized rubber, pucks.  I accidently did one time, left a bruise on my hand for 2 weeks.  It came off the boards and I reacted palm out... not one of my better reactions... not saying Allen's passes aren't hard... but try getting hit with a hockey puck sometime and then keep playing.

As others have mentioned, would be nice to get a TE like Engram in here, but I think the target should be Hayden Hurst. ATL just invested a ton of capital in Kyle Pitts, and he is already looking the part. I think we all remember Hayden Hurst from when he blew past the defense a couple years ago to win the BAL game. 

Engram needs to go to TE Academy, Hurst does not. Both would likely be later round compensation... I just don't have a lot of faith in our TE options after Knox. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

As others have mentioned, would be nice to get a TE like Engram in here, but I think the target should be Hayden Hurst. ATL just invested a ton of capital in Kyle Pitts, and he is already looking the part. I think we all remember Hayden Hurst from when he blew past the defense a couple years ago to win the BAL game. 

Engram needs to go to TE Academy, Hurst does not. Both would likely be later round compensation... I just don't have a lot of faith in our TE options after Knox. 

We look to really have something in 11 personnel, and regardless of how good Knox is.. it wouldn't hurt to invest in a strong TE2.  We could even roll out double TE sets to help the red zone run game with the threat of both guys being weapons in the pass game.  

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

longer article from Dr Kyle Trimble (aka "Banged Up Bills") on Knox hand injury.

Includes hand anatomy and a sketch of the surgery likely performed

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/10/25/22739805/examining-dawson-knoxs-right-hand-fracture

Banged Up Bills is a good Twitter follow...he's solid when it comes to injuries and he foregoes all the hyperbole. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Wouldn’t mind Hurst but you are giving him too much credit on that TD. Poyer completely blew the coverage.

Maybe so, but there aren't many TE's in the NFL that can take a pass 61 yards to the house and not get caught. Sure, Hyde was closing in on him, but he still got over 60 yards out of the play. I don't see any TE on the Bills roster outside of Knox that is a threat to take a pass and get 40 YAC. 

On 10/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, Utah John said:

I have no idea how good Warring is, but if they bring him up just for a couple of games and he shows real promise, the Bills will have to decide whether to put him back on the PS and risk someone else signing him away; or the Bills could keep Warring on the active roster and cut/PS/IR/trade someone else.

Warring sucks.  He was somewhat a joke in Houston, they used to call him "water polo boy".  He is somewhat another potential "Bills project", he was "extremely raw" as a football player, looked more like an athletic model than football player.

Put it this way, he was so bad the Texans cut him.

53 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Warring sucks.  He was somewhat a joke in Houston, they used to call him "water polo boy".  He is somewhat another potential "Bills project", he was "extremely raw" as a football player, looked more like an athletic model than football player.

Put it this way, he was so bad the Texans cut him.

I mean, to be fair, I'm not sure who the Texans cut trade or keep is a good barometer for football quality these last few years. 

Fundamentally, Kahale Warring is the equivalent of an International Pathways Program player from America: great size, elite athleticism, but very little football experience and a long history of injuries.  One season in HS; Started 5 games in college;

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kahale-warring/32005741-5275-2700-ebaf-ccabda046f86

Kahale Kuio Kalani Michael Wodehouse Warring was a latecomer to football, starring instead in just about every other sport possible (water polo, basketball, cross county, swimming, soccer and tennis) during his time at Sonora High School in California. His one season on the gridiron gained enough interest from SDSU that he was given a shot as a walk-on. Warring redshirted the 2015 season while bulking up, and then played in four games as a reserve (2-17-8.5, two touchdowns) the following year before a broken foot cut the year short. Coaches gave him a scholarship before the 2017 season, and he ended up starting 3 of 13 games played (18-248-13.8, three TD). Warring only started twice in 12 games played in 2018 but was still named honorable mention All-Mountain West because he led the Aztecs with 31 receptions (which went for 372 yards, 12.0 average, and three scores). He did not play in the team's bowl game due to a hamstring injury suffered in the regular-season finale.

Interestingly, the normally pretty astute NFL.com and Lance Zierlein rated him "will be a starter within 2 seasons"  while rating Dawson Knox "good backup who could become a starter". 

I guess they got that mixed.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It blows my mind what they can do with robotic instruments and surgeries now, and how small the incision areas are now for access since they have cameras etc. These kind of midseason surgeries on complex parts of the anatomy like joints, hands, fingers etc would be completely unheard of 15 years ago, or would have required major incisions and a lot more recovery time.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s just a flesh wound!!!    :)

Not but a scratch…,

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.