Bills TE Dawson Knox out a few weeks following surgery on broken hand

muppy

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hockey players don't need to catch passes from Josh Allen.

For the first couple weeks he is back I wouldn’t be surprised if they used him as more of a blocker (and a decoy given what he’s put on film so far) to give the hand more time before the Allen bullets fly into it again. But they should be able to test in practice. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

For the first couple weeks he is back I wouldn’t be surprised if they used him as more of a blocker (and a decoy given what he’s put on film so far) to give the hand more time before the Allen bullets fly into it again. But they should be able to test in practice. 

I feel about that like I feel about the team putting Milano out there when he couldn't lift his arm to tackle last season.  If the guy can't do the whole job, rehab him until he can.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel about that like I feel about the team putting Milano out there when he couldn't lift his arm to tackle last season.  If the guy can't do the whole job, rehab him until he can.

Agreed. I'd have IR'd him for at least the minimum 3 weeks. Then either promote Warring and have a proper look or, alternatively, if they want a blocker Virgil Green is still out there unsigned and has been one of the better blocking tight ends in football in recent years. He is 33 and coming off an injury last season but if he still wants to play they could do worse than bring him in for a short term measure as a vet presence and blocker. 

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. I'd have IR'd him for at least the minimum 3 weeks. Then either promote Warring and have a proper look or, alternatively, if they want a blocker Virgil Green is still out there unsigned and has been one of the better blocking tight ends in football in recent years. He is 33 and coming off an injury last season but if he still wants to play they could do worse than bring him in for a short term measure as a vet presence and blocker. 

IR is not minimum 3 weeks.  It's 3 games.  So if we IR Knox now, he's out for 4 weeks.

Unless there's someone we want to trade for or sign off the street, we apparently don't need to make a decision about IR'ing Knox until the Sat. before the MIA game.  So it only makes sense to wait almost 2 weeks and have a look at how his hand is progressing.  If it wasn't a complete break but only a partial fracture and it's been pinned, it's not impossible he might be able to just miss the MIA game and come back the next week.  (be MIA the MIA game?)

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can't imagine blocking is somehow easier on his hand than catching a pass. I mean I know Josh throws the ball hard and we make jokes about it but come on.

24 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I can't imagine blocking is somehow easier on his hand than catching a pass. I mean I know Josh throws the ball hard and we make jokes about it but come on.

The only thing about blocking, is that like Incognito who played with his hands practically taped into clubs they can put a brace on his hand/arm and tape the hell out of it and protect the hand for blocking.  Whereas I'm not sure how you can brace a broken hand for catching a pass without interfering with pass-catching ability

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The only thing about blocking, is that like Incognito who played with his hands practically taped into clubs they can put a brace on his hand/arm and tape the hell out of it and protect the hand for blocking.  Whereas I'm not sure how you can brace a broken hand for catching a pass without interfering with pass-catching ability

Right but if they did that he wouldn't be much of a decoy in the passing game.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:27 PM, The Jokeman said:

If he is out for a few weeks IR him and add a vet to replace him ASAP. Maybe sign Richard Rodgers off the Eagles PS now to get him acclimated to the playbook and ready to play against Miami.

I'd rather they move Quentin Morris off the practice Squad and let him play a few weeks. He's intrigued me since we signed him. I believe I read he is a former basketball player. All those guys seem to workout at TE 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

is he really flicking someone off???!!  

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes and hopefully it was vrabel 

Not to be a party pooper, but I think he’s playfully flipping off Josh. Josh had tried to wave that play off, knowing that Knox’s hand was hurt. Knox insisted that they stick with it any way. Given that fact and the fact that he’s facing Josh while flipping the bird, I conclude that #17 is the most likely target.

Edited by Logic

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Not to be a party pooper, but I think he’s playfully flipping off Josh. Josh had tried to wave that play off, knowing that Knox’s hand was hurt. Knox insisted that they stick with it any way. Given that fact and the fact that he’s facing Josh while flipping the bird, I conclude that #17 is the most likely target.

I agree, I was just being bitter 

• Haha (+1) 1

Why not ship a 6th for Engram?

Worst case Ontario, Knox’s injury affects him ROS & then we have an athletic TE to roll out. 

But let’s say Knox returns and is fine. Would the ability to go 2-TE with both being viable receiving threats be that awful?

I like Sweeney & Gilliam, don’t get me wrong. But not against some more depth. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'd rather they move Quentin Morris off the practice Squad and let him play a few weeks. He's intrigued me since we signed him. I believe I read he is a former basketball player. All those guys seem to workout at TE 

He's a former WR as recall and rather short for a TE at 6'2". 

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Why not ship a 6th for Engram?

Worst case Ontario, Knox’s injury affects him ROS & then we have an athletic TE to roll out. 

But let’s say Knox returns and is fine. Would the ability to go 2-TE with both being viable receiving threats be that awful?

I like Sweeney & Gilliam, don’t get me wrong. But not against some more depth. 

Making a roster spot for him if/when Knox healthy could prove to be an issue. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He's a former WR as recall and rather short for a TE at 6'2". 

Making a roster spot for him if/when Knox healthy could prove to be an issue. 

He is over 250 pounds so yes he is a bit of a tweener.

He can be called up from the PS for 2 weeks.  That could be enough to get Knox back after the bye.  Warring could get a one week call up

if necessary.  I don't think another TE from outside will be coming if Knox's recovery is looking good before the Miami game.

I have no idea how good Warring is, but if they bring him up just for a couple of games and he shows real promise, the Bills will have to decide whether to put him back on the PS and risk someone else signing him away; or the Bills could keep Warring on the active roster and cut/PS/IR/trade someone else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.