Bills TE Dawson Knox out a few weeks following surgery on broken hand

muppy

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m not concerned. The next somewhat competitive threat and I use loosely is the Colts and then Saints.  Knox will be fine and I hope McD does what he tends to do and better to keep him out one more week to make sure he is good down the stretch.

Enjoy the rest Knox.

He’s not easily replaced and they are thin at the position - they will need to adjust the offense but every team has injuries they need to overcome, coaches and depth players need to step up 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not easily replaced and they are thin at the position - they will need to adjust the offense but every team has injuries they need to overcome, coaches and depth players need to step up 

Yolo, I wouldn’t be surprised if they creatively use Gilliam as a RB, FB, or TE. He’s versatile and no opposing defense knows enough about him to predict how he will be used.

Knox is the #3 TE on nfl.com this week.

The breakout tight end of the year has arrived as the bronze medal winner! Knox has been excellent for Buffalo this season, leading all tight ends with five touchdown catches and currently ranking second in yards per reception (13.6). Knox's emergence hasn't come by coincidence, as coordinator Brian Daboll has been capitalizing on his versatility by aligning him in the slot. And Knox has produced, leading tight ends in yards per target (14.5) and yards per reception (20) from that spot. Those marks are the best for any tight end with a minimum of 10 slot targets in any season going back to 2018. Knox's athleticism was on full display on a touchdown run that ended up being wiped out by a holding call in Buffalo's loss to Tennessee on Monday Night Football, but it's clear the Bills haven't avoided utilizing him in a variety of scenarios to put points on the board. With only 27 targets, Knox is scoring nearly once every five receptions. That's some excellent efficiency from a guy most folks didn't know by name prior to 2021. He'll surely be missed for however long he's out with a broken hand.

nfl.com/top-10-tight-ends

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is where I wish we had Hollister over Gilliam.

why can't the Bills line up Tommy Doyle (or one of the other o linemen) at TE?  Using an extra linemen should help out in the run blocking you would think.  You can also line him up on the side of the line where the better pass rushers are coming from for extra help.  

Now is as good a time to have this happen as we could have planned for, here’s to a quick healing hand bone👍. Sweeney in theory will get more reps, he appears to have good hands and Josh didn’t have a problem throwing a TD pass to him last game, he’s a big boy and will fill in nicely, as they say, next man up,

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it makes a lot of sense since he knows the system, but at the same time what happens when Knox is back? Are we trading picks for a guy we'd cut when he comes back?

This.  If they thought Hollister was a better #2 TE than Sweeney they would have kept Hollister and cut or traded Sweeney.  It would be silly to make that decision in August and then spend a pick to get him back in Oct.

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Nope.  Dr. recommended leaving them in.  It's been 20 years now with no issues.  When I had the surgery I was playing a lot of guitar

back then (finger board hand) and he told me no "physical therapy" could be better than that.  He had me playing the next week.

Side note:  My company manufactured the screws and my best friend was the lead man for the area that made those particular screws!

I told him they better work after the surgery and they did.  LOL.

What did you break.  I broke my thumb base of it twenty years ago.  They stuck 2 K wires in it for four weeks.  Had them sticking out of my hand.  At end of 4 weeks they unscrewed them... weird feeling still remember.  Every once in a while when the weather changes I get and ache like now... but no strength lost.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it makes a lot of sense since he knows the system, but at the same time what happens when Knox is back? Are we trading picks for a guy we'd cut when he comes back?

Agreed. I think what they are going to do is use Gilliam when they need to as the second TE, but probably run a lot more 4 WR sets. I, for one, am Looking forward to seeing Gabe Davis get some more Snaps while Knox is out. 

• Like (+1) 1

The next opponent is Miami, a train wreck of a team but one that has two great CBs.  Using four WRs to be sure someone's open seems like a good approach.

I still think the best thing is to IR Knox.  The next three opponents are all lousy, and the Bills should not need him to win easily.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't take this as a problem as the thread had kind of drifted, but the info is already here:

Let the record show we had the gouge that Knox was in surgery and expected to be out 3-4 weeks while McDermott was giving his Tuesday interview, waiting for updates. 👍

It really depends on what was broken.  If it is the scaffoid in the wrist or the fifth metacarpal (boxers fracture) and it was pinned ( they put a screw in) he could return pretty fast depending on his pain threshold and if they determine they need him.  The screw will hold everything in place but any bang is going to hurt like hell.  My guess is he got stepped on in one of the earlier scrums and it could be any of the other metacarpals.  That being said it is all about pain threshold.  Make him a hockey player... stitch him back up and send him back on the ice... err green.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Exact thing happened to me some years back.  People always say "pins" but usually means screws.  I had 3 small screws implanted.

I never had screws actually. These were pin like, although maybe the wrong word. Once the bones had started to fuse back together they yanked the pins right out. Of course every injury is different. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

It really depends on what was broken.  If it is the scaffoid in the wrist or the fifth metacarpal (boxers fracture) and it was pinned ( they put a screw in) he could return pretty fast depending on his pain threshold and if they determine they need him.  The screw will hold everything in place but any bang is going to hurt like hell.  My guess is he got stepped on in one of the earlier scrums and it could be any of the other metacarpals.  That being said it is all about pain threshold.  Make him a hockey player... stitch him back up and send him back on the ice... err green.

Hockey players don't need to catch passes from Josh Allen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.