Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

As I've stated before, if the Dolphins do land Watson it's a move for next year (and presumably a new HC/GM) that will essentially be made by their ownership.

You would think so. But technically he could play right away unless the nfl does something. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Any of you degenerates pick him up in fantasy yet?

I drafted him in the late rounds of one of my drafts, I have since dropped him.

I don't believe the Texans will get anything for him at this point and will wait until his legal problems are over to trade him.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You would think so. But technically he could play right away unless the nfl does something. 

I think they would, I also think even if he plays this year it's just to build momentum for next year because between their current 1-5 record and how long it would take Watson to truly get up to speed and make a meaningful contribution the dolphins 2021 campaign is effectively over hence the move for next season thought on the matter.

We have all seen this movie before. 

1.  find a superstar. 
2.  hype superstar trade before deadline

3.  deadline comes people tune in 

4.  Nothing happens

5.  stories of how close they were but complicated trade and will keep talking in offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think they would, I also think even if he plays this year it's just to build momentum for next year because between their current 1-5 record and how long it would take Watson to truly get up to speed and make a meaningful contribution the dolphins 2021 campaign is effectively over hence the move for next season thought on the matter.

Brissett could learn this Dolphins Offense, but Watson would take a the rest of the season to figure out the playbook?

no...

On 10/20/2021 at 4:56 PM, Chicken Boo said:

Given time, I'd be more worried about Watson to Parker.  Really, Miami has the offensive tools at all skill positions for Deshaun to be successful.

This is what Miami is thinking. They know next year or so might be rough but after that they have thier QB for next 7-8 years if not more. Having Watson makes there job whole lot easier to field a competitive team year in and year out. With time everything will be forgotten. He will do some charity and winning cures all.

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Which, I speculate, is why there has been no trade to date. I think the NFL is waiting to pounce if the Texans move him. The only hope for the team that might receive him in a trade is, next year--hoping the legal issues and league penalties are behind him. Key word: "hoping."

10 hours ago, Irv said:

Watson will never see an NFL field again.  It's over Johnny.  

I think this is increasingly unlikely to be correct. I think there is a very good chance now that he gets on a field this season if traded. I see no legal basis in their own rules for the NFL to suddenly put him on the Commissioner's Exempt List once traded, with no material change in his legal situation, when they have failed to do so for the first 6 weeks of the season. I suppose the NFL could, behind closed doors, come to a gentleman's agreement with whoever is trading for him that he will continue to sit this season. Even then Watson could claim that is an unfair restriction of his labour and the Dolphins and the NFL would be hard pressed to argue that he is sitting for performance reasons if they give up a sizeable draft haul to get him. 

Don't like the way the NFL has handled this. He should have gone on the exempt list as soon as the regular season started IMO. By leaving it open and being content that he was never going to play in Houston because nobody wanted him to (including Watson himself) they have got themselves in a bit of a mess. Maybe they put him on the Commissioner's List post a trade and Watson and Dolphins decide because of the optics just to swallow that... but they wouldn't have to. I think they'd have a pretty sound basis to challenge the NFL on that.