Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not scared.  Miami is just slightly less dumpster fire than the Jets.  Now if he ended up on NE I would be worried.

This is where I am.

He is definitely better than what they have now, but adding him just means we beat them 35-10 instead of 35-0.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Looks like its the Dolphins trying to move Tua.

I mean really??  Why would anyone give up more than a conditional 7th for Tua? The kids done, put a fork in him…, 

Great, deplete Miami's draft pick stock for a QB that will be suspended and possibly may never play in the league again depending on how his legal woes shake out. Also, this would be great press (not really) for a team already circling the toilet bowl. Distractions anyone? 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m all for innocent until proven guilty… but in 2021, after the MeToo movement and several very high profile celebrity incident, how can any organization put a positive spin on someone with this many allegations?

This would be like doing business with Harvey Weinstein around the time the allegations first came out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Miami is willing to give up high draft choices and a guaranteed $35 million dollars next year to a guy that will likely not see the field until his legal issues are over. And if he's found guilty will likely have to serve a long suspension once the legal issues are over.

This is how bad teams stay bad. NFL can't see Gruden's career and over things he said in the past (that he was ignorant and wrong to say) and let Watson continue like nothing happened. 

• Agree 1

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

Miami is willing to give up high draft choices and a guaranteed $35 million dollars next year to a guy that will likely not see the field until his legal issues are over. And if he's found guilty will likely have to serve a long suspension once the legal issues are over.

This is how bad teams stay bad. NFL can't see Gruden's career and over things he said in the past (that he was ignorant and wrong to say) and let Watson continue like nothing happened. 

They can't suspend him now. Not until something materially changes in his legal case. They should have suspended him before the season. League have messed up.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Is this “could” like there has been buzz from both sides to the reporter?

or “could” like “nothing is technically impossible”?

That's basically my question.  McCain says that:

Even though the NFL trading deadline isn’t until Nov. 2, a deal could go down this week, according to people familiar with the negotiations.

If the Texans and Dolphins are unable to consummate the trade this week, they want to get it done by the league’s deadline.

On the other hand, earlier and even in this report, supposedly Caserio hasn't budged in what he wants for the trade:

General manager Nick Caserio has been asking for three first-round draft choices and two second-round picks.

but then:

Teams have objected to that demand, given that his unresolved legal issues (22 civil lawsuits, 10 criminal complaints, and a vague FBI investigation) make his unavailability uncertain for 2021 and beyond.

So what's changed?  All that has been simmering quietly in the face of Watson sitting on the bench and no news on the legal front.  But I think it's a pretty safe bet that if Watson is traded and is lined up to start for a new team, that lawyer for the 22 women is going to do his best to create a huge stir about the pending allegations and try to get the NFL to act (put Watson on the Commissioner's Exempt List pending resolution)

I mean, on the one hand, it *is* the Dolphins. 

On the other hand, what team would trade away a 3 year fortune in draft picks without a resolution to the legal matters or some kind of contingency assuring them of protection should the legal matters go badly and result in a suspension by the NFL?   

Just now, GunnerBill said:

So now what does the league do? They have mishandled this terribly and it is about to look really bad for them.

It’s an unprecedented situation. My guess is that the league steps in and kills the trade, at least until Watson’s fate is determined. But wouldn’t the teams involved check with the league first, before they make a deal?