Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Watson would be crazy not to hold out for a pay bump.  Miami's selling the farm to get him, and the owner's made this a pet project, so Watson's got all the leverage.

Free massages at the local Asian spa? 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is increasingly unlikely to be correct. I think there is a very good chance now that he gets on a field this season if traded. I see no legal basis in their own rules for the NFL to suddenly put him on the Commissioner's Exempt List once traded, with no material change in his legal situation, when they have failed to do so for the first 6 weeks of the season. I suppose the NFL could, behind closed doors, come to a gentleman's agreement with whoever is trading for him that he will continue to sit this season. Even then Watson could claim that is an unfair restriction of his labour and the Dolphins and the NFL would be hard pressed to argue that he is sitting for performance reasons if they give up a sizeable draft haul to get him. 

Don't like the way the NFL has handled this. He should have gone on the exempt list as soon as the regular season started IMO. By leaving it open and being content that he was never going to play in Houston because nobody wanted him to (including Watson himself) they have got themselves in a bit of a mess. Maybe they put him on the Commissioner's List post a trade and Watson and Dolphins decide because of the optics just to swallow that... but they wouldn't have to. I think they'd have a pretty sound basis to challenge the NFL on that. 

I think you are underestimating a few things:

A. The sheer number of accusations and criminal complaints that have already be made against Watson.

B. The nature of the sexual assault incidents 

C. The current climate and sensitivity  toward this issue/accusations - including multiple accusations against high profile/powerful celebrities.  

There is no way that the NFL allows Watson to step on the field as an active competitor this season.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Huh. Interesting. So what does that mean in practice?

Like I said…

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think you are underestimating a few things:

A. The sheer number of accusations and criminal complaints that have already be made against Watson.

B. The nature of the sexual assault incidents 

C. The current climate and sensitivity  toward this issue/accusations - including multiple accusations against high profile/powerful celebrities.  

There is no way that the NFL allows Watson to step on the field as an active competitor this season.

Like I said…

With respect, I am not misunderstanding any of those things. I think you are misunderstanding the way that the NFL rules apply and the extent to which the NFL has to act lawfully in administering discipline. I am talking purely about the law. That is what the deflategate case was all about. It stopped being about deflated footballs very early in the legal process. It was about whether the NFL was acting inside or outside its own vires and whether it had applied its own discipline policy in a proportionate and rational way.

That is entirety of my point here. The NFL did not place him on the Commissioners Exempt List when it should have done in August They would of been totally within their rights, pursuant to your points A & B to do that then. And IMO in they should have done. Having not done that if they were to do so now because he gets traded then unless there is a material change in circumstance with respect to his legal situation they would be at risk of Watson challenging them on the grounds of irrationality and therefore a breach of labour laws. As I acknowledged in my initial post there is a chance, pursuant to your point C that the NFL could do that and Watson would think "the optics of challenging the NFL on this is really bad, I'll just swallow it" but would the NFL take such an action in the first place when their legal advice would be "hmmm this is questionable as to whether it would stand up to challenge."

As for the post about the Personal Conduct Policy.... not sure what Anderson is on about. I have just read it. The only sanction under the PCP for keeping someone off the field is the Commissioner's Exempt List. I think whoever told him that is feeding him duff info. 

Edited by GunnerBill

There’s been enough smoke around Watson to Miami that I have to think there’s a fire.

Unlike some of you, I wouldn’t want Watson in Miami.

I also feel like if he is traded, he will play again. No team is trading for him if they think there’s a chance he won’t play again.

Whats even going on with his legal issues anyway? I feel like it’s been pretty quiet on that front for quite a while now.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

There’s been enough smoke around Watson to Miami that I have to think there’s a fire.

I think just about all of the smoke comes from Houston which means I don't trust it. There's no reason for Miami to want these rumors to keep popping up. The players, Tua in particular, can see it. The fans can see it which gets their hopes (or disgust levels) up. It puts too much pressure on the organization. So I don't really believe that anyone in Miami has validated whatever source is putting this out there. I'm guessing Houston or maybe Watson's agent is pushing hard to make a team desperate enough to trade for him before the deadline.

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think just about all of the smoke comes from Houston which means I don't trust it. There's no reason for Miami to want these rumors to keep popping up. The players, Tua in particular, can see it. The fans can see it which gets their hopes (or disgust levels) up. It puts too much pressure on the organization. So I don't really believe that anyone in Miami has validated whatever source is putting this out there. I'm guessing Houston or maybe Watson's agent is pushing hard to make a team desperate enough to trade for him before the deadline.

Yeah I believe the rumors (at least right now) are coming from houston too, but I believe there is likely some truth to them. Miami has been connected with Watson constantly since the offseason, by a bunch of different sources. Miami may not want the rumors out there but that doesn’t mean they’re not discussing a Watson trade with Houston.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I believe the rumors (at least right now) are coming from houston too, but I believe there is likely some truth to them. Miami has been connected with Watson constantly since the offseason, by a bunch of different sources. Miami may not want the rumors out there but that doesn’t mean they’re not discussing a Watson trade with Houston.

Ertz to Buffalo might have been the most reported story all offseason

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Athletic say that more talks have been had in the past week but nothing is imminent and the three team trade thing that was floated is nonsense. I take what they say to the bank. I guarantee they don't print that if the only sources telling them that are on the Houston side. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they would have to build major contingencies into the trade 

And that is the NFL's lever to be involved.   A straightforward trade they have no involvement. 

A trade with contingencies, league reviews and approves or rejects the contingencies.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Discussing trade is a long step from "could have deal done this week, or by trade deadline"

4 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Flores just said that Tua is their QB. If a trade was close, I think even Flores would have been a bit more nuanced. 

It could be… but saying “Tua is out QB” is quite a literal statement.  Other teams have used similar statements and still traded the QB (Goff, Rosen) etc. McDermott might have even said that Tyrod in 2018 before trading him as well.  

It doesn’t really mean anything.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It could be… but saying “Tua is out QB” is quite a literal statement.  Other teams have used similar statements and still traded the QB (Goff, Rosen) etc. McDermott might have even said that Tyrod in 2018 before trading him as well.  

It doesn’t really mean anything.  

Yep. The Cult of Tyrod were certain, absolutely swear on their lives certain, that meant he was the guy for the long term. 

Wouldn't it be an absolute PR nightmare to trade for a guy with all of these allegations out there?

How would the social conscious NFL feel about a team fielding a QB that has these allegations against him?

It makes no sense to me that a team will trade for him until, or if, his legal issues are settled.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1