Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I'm skeptical that Watson ever returns to his previous form, but Watson to Waddle is definitely something to be concerned about... 

Given time, I'd be more worried about Watson to Parker.  Really, Miami has the offensive tools at all skill positions for Deshaun to be successful.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Makes Miami much better in 2022 if it happens.

Watson may not even waive his no trade clause to go there. It's "believed" he would. If Watson were wise he would look at the offensive line in Miami and remember the hits he took in Houston and say "no thanks". 

Much better options for him as a player to be in a better situation next season in places like Pittsburgh, Denver, possibly Green Bay and a few other spots 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Again though, they need a basis, under their own rules or it could end up in court. The league can do whatever it wants as long as it is in accordance with its own rules. Once it takes steps outside of that it becomes vulnerable.

My understanding is that the league has standard trade language and a standard proviso that anything outside of that must receive league approval.  I recall that being a factor in several other recent trades where the trade was reported, there was a delay, and it was later reported that the NFL didn't approve the original contingency language and it had to be revised. 

Anything in the US can end up in court anyway.

As far as the NFL not taking action, worth reviewing Mike Florio's take (Florio is actually a US-trained lawyer, a former litigator I believe)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/11/nfl-isnt-taking-action-against-deshaun-watson-because-it-doesnt-have-to/

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Given time, I'd be more worried about Watson to Parker.  Really, Miami has the offensive tools at all skill positions for Deshaun to be successful.

Parker is talented but he never seems to be healthy...

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Watson may not even waive his no trade clause to go there. It's "believed" he would. If Watson were wise he would look at the offensive line in Miami and remember the hits he took in Houston and say "no thanks". 

Much better options for him as a player to be in a better situation next season in places like Pittsburgh, Denver, possibly Green Bay and a few other spots 

I think he'll greenlight a trade to the Dolphins.  As I recall, many of the massage therapists Watson utilized were flown in from Miami; this way, he saves money on incidental expenses...

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Yeah.  Miami is a dumpster fire and why Watson would agree to go there, especially if they're surrendering their 1st rounders, is anyone's guess.

But yawn.  Wake me when it actually happens.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Makes Miami much better in 2022 if it happens.

Absolutely, but how much better?.. I don’t know.  

They’ll be giving up their draft capital and taking on Watson’s contract.   That’s not a very talented team to begin with, and they won’t be able to do much to add anything else ie., an OL for Deshaun. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My understanding is that the league has standard trade language and a standard proviso that anything outside of that must receive league approval.  I recall that being a factor in several other recent trades where the trade was reported, there was a delay, and it was later reported that the NFL didn't approve the original contingency language and it had to be revised. 

Anything in the US can end up in court anyway.

As far as the NFL not taking action, worth reviewing Mike Florio's take (Florio is actually a US-trained lawyer, a former litigator I believe)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/11/nfl-isnt-taking-action-against-deshaun-watson-because-it-doesnt-have-to/

The league does have the right to nix any trade. But if it ends up being challenged it has to justify why. Saying "oh it is because of his legal situation" is fine but then a court is entitled to ask "well why didn't you suspend him."

I don't disagree with what Florio said in September. I think the thing is at that point everyone was banking on the status quo lasting the year and if that had indeed happened then just letting him sit on the Texans bench made sense. But once he is traded... I think the league has a problem. 

33 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean if they make the trade with that in mind they're basically giving up this season feels pretty early for that.

At 1-5 their season is already toast.  Now might be the time to get the best price.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Headed to Texans? Feels like he would be part of the deal. 

Would you take Tua if you were Houston's GM?  I wouldn't.  If Houston takes Tua, their GM is worse than O'Brien

Edited by Albany,n.y.

11 minutes ago, McBean said:

So Gruden fired in 48 hours…

POS Watson been around for 6 Months and might play?

Go figure.

You sound surprised.

One is a top 5 QB that generates millions of dollars for the NFL, the other is Jon Gruden - and Gruden wasn't fired, he resigned.