Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

Just now, GunnerBill said:

On what basis would they do that? Legally the League has to follow its own rules. Once it decides things for expedience it gets itself in trouble in the courts.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do believe the league has to approve all trades.  I'm not sure what criteria they use ("for the good of the league"?) or whether their ability to approve/disapprove is limited in some way. I seem to recall the league stepping in a voiding a trade or two in the past, but I can't remember specifics.  

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Based on the number of accusations, and the way that major players have distanced themselves from similar situations with entertainers, it would surprised me if the NFL allowed him to play this year 

agreed. But given all the bad actors that keep getting many chances in the NFL, he will be back next year for sure. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kill the trade?  Well, rumor has it that when the trade was discussed previously, the trade partner wanted contingencies in the trade.  Anything unusual like that, I believe the League would have to approve.

Again though, they need a basis, under their own rules or it could end up in court. The league can do whatever it wants as long as it is in accordance with its own rules. Once it takes steps outside of that it becomes vulnerable.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do believe the league has to approve all trades.  I'm not sure what criteria they use ("for the good of the league"?) or whether their ability to approve/disapprove is limited in some way. I seem to recall the league stepping in a voiding a trade or two in the past, but I can't remember specifics.  

It was when trades breached league rules. If this one doesn't I am not sure it has any authority under its own rules. 

Personally, I'd love to see the Dolphins trade a ton of draft picks for Watson.  I think it would tank their franchise for the foreseeable future.  Watson is a very good quarterback, but he's not good enough to turn a crappy team into a playoff team.  I also believe that Watson is never going to be the same player after this...it's going to be a massive distraction and he's going to be the focus of protests, jokes, innuendo, etc...This is the guy you're going to make the face of your franchise?  Really? There also may be drama surrounding Tua, but I suppose he would just go to Houston as part of the trade.  I just can't see this ending well for the Dolphins...   

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agreed. But given all the bad actors that keep getting many chances in the NFL, he will be back next year for sure. 

Probably…it all depends if/when he settles the civil cases and whatever the hell is happening with the grand jury.  

Lets just say he settles and doesn’t get criminal charges.  The suspension is going to be interesting given the current climate and empathy to these incident.  We aren’t taking about 1 high profile sexual assault accusation.  It’s 20+.  I think he’ll miss more than the typical 4 game suspension.  

So…best case scenario they might be looking at is 6 games into 2022.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Makes Miami much better in 2022 if it happens.

I'm skeptical that Watson ever returns to his previous form, but Watson to Waddle is definitely something to be concerned about...