Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

Just now, Greg S said:

I am surprised the Steelers aren't in on this. They need a QB worse than the Fins. I don't know what they could offer trade wise but my guess is this is Ben's last year.

And they already have experience dealing with a qb saddled with a history of unsavory character issues, too😈

Just now, GunnerBill said:

They can't suspend him now. Not until something materially changes in his legal case. They should have suspended him before the season. League have messed up.

From what I understood they can't suspend him while his case is active. They could easily put him on the Exempt List still. All they have to say is they "became aware of new facts". Not that the NFL would ever be leas than transparent with something 🤣

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They can't suspend him now. Not until something materially changes in his legal case. They should have suspended him before the season. League have messed up.

Ehhhhhh, Idk GB. I think the league would suspend him or at least put him on the Commissioner's Exempt list. Either way, I don't think he plays until the legal stuff is over and his suspension that is coming will be levied. And that's if he ever plays again at all imo. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s an unprecedented situation. My guess is that the league steps in and kills the trade, at least until Watson’s fate is determined. But wouldn’t the teams involved check with the league first, before they make a deal?

On what basis would they do that? Legally the League has to follow its own rules. Once it decides things for expedience it gets itself in trouble in the courts.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see this at all.  The League is like the question of where the 2,000 pound polar bear sits?  (Anywhere it wants).

That said, IMO: the league isn't going to actually suspend Watson until the legal action is resolved.  Plenty of precedent for the league waiting for legal matters to play out before taking action.

On the other hand, the league has an action available to them - putting Watson on the commissioner's Exempt list PENDING resolution of the legal matters, in which case, the team which has Watson on the roster gets to pay him, but can't play him.  The league has no reason to take that action while Watson is being paid and not playing for the Texans.  But once he's traded and his new team wants to play him, if there's enough outrage I bet that's just where he goes.

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

From what I understood they can't suspend him while his case is active. They could easily put him on the Exempt List still. All they have to say is they "became aware of new facts". Not that the NFL would ever be leas than transparent with something 🤣

They would have to say that, correct. And then if Watson's side or Houston or Miami challenged they'd have to justify that in court.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Still don't think Watson plays this year.  If Fish do this I think it's because they believe things will get resolved by the offseason and they'll have him to begin 2022.

Based on the number of accusations, and the way that major players have distanced themselves from similar situations with entertainers, it would surprised me if the NFL allowed him to play this year 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't see this at all.  The League is like the question of where the 2,000 pound polar bear sits?  (Anywhere it wants).

That said, IMO: the league isn't going to actually suspend Watson until the legal action is resolved.  Plenty of precedent for the league waiting for legal matters to play out before taking action.

On the other hand, the league has an action available to them - putting Watson on the commissioner's Exempt list PENDING resolution of the legal matters, in which case, the team which has Watson on the roster gets to pay him, but can't play him.  The league has no reason to take that action while Watson is being paid and not playing for the Texans.  But once he's traded and his new team wants to play him, if there's enough outrage I bet that's just where he goes.

They HAD that option. They can't do that now without a material change in the legal situation without being vulnerable to a legal challenge. 

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Still don't think Watson plays this year.  If Fish do this I think it's because they believe things will get resolved by the offseason and they'll have him to begin 2022.

I mean if they make the trade with that in mind they're basically giving up this season feels pretty early for that.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Then where does Tua go? Steelers, Packers if Rodgers leaves, Seahawks if Wilson leaves, Saints as Winston isn't a long term answer. A lot of possibilities if this trade happens.