44 Years Ago Today.............

Chef Jim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynyrd_Skynyrd_plane_crash

I remember when I found out. I was 16 years old and played in a ABB/Skynyrd cover band. Every day on my way to school I'd stop in the local gas station for a smoke and read the paper (imaging a 16 year old doing that today...sorry I digress). I think the news report was on page one but it was a kick in the gut like no other.

35 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynyrd_Skynyrd_plane_crash

I remember when I found out. I was 16 years old and played in a ABB/Skynyrd cover band. Every day on my way to school I'd stop in the local gas station for a smoke and read the paper (imaging a 16 year old doing that today...sorry I digress). I think the news report was on page one but it was a kick in the gut like no other.

The story of the crash and aftermath is crazy.  Sad stuff.  

Btw, there was a podcast a couple years ago where Artemis Pyle talked about the crash and the band, and his experience trying to get help.  I feel like it was an interview with Chris Jericho, who was a pro wrestler.  Fascinating story.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Just a few days before the crash, I bought the Street Survivors album with the band in flames ... EEK ... It was a kick in the gut when I heard about it as well.

It was released three days prior to the crash.  I always felt it was terribly ironic they survived the street but not the air.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The story of the crash and aftermath is crazy.  Sad stuff.  

Btw, there was a podcast a couple years ago where Artemis Pyle talked about the crash and the band, and his experience trying to get help.  I feel like it was an interview with Chris Jericho, who was a pro wrestler.  Fascinating story.  

I just watched a very good documentary on the band recently on Netflix (If I Leave Here Tomorrow).  The most interesting commentary was from Ed King.   Also I loved the story about the Knebworth (London) concert with the Stones.  Ronnie ventured our onto the Stones' "Tongue" which was verboten.  They stole the show!!

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I just watched a very good documentary on the band recently on Netflix (If I Leave Here Tomorrow).  The most interesting commentary was from Ed King.   Also I loved the story about the Knebworth (London) concert with the Stones.  Ronnie ventured our onto the Stones' "Tongue" which was verboten.  They stole the show!!

I’ll watch it. My son plays guitar, and his instructor is a pretty well known guy in this area.  He’s involved with Grammy voting (or was), worked with many notable artists (Phish, the Wilson sisters from Heart, Kanye as i recall).  Anyway, he makes custom guitars and was working with Ed King on a guitar just before EK died in 2018.  He said the hard part is the artists typically want what they want, but he’s particular on how he makes them and won’t sacrifice.  I think he and EK had worked through all that and unfortunately he passed away.  

I also have to check—many years ago my company had a conference in Mexico and the entertainment was the World Class Rockers.  We were drinking poolside and we’re going to skip the event but my son wanted to go, he was 11 or 12.  Anyway, it was a very cool event.  Guys from Skynyrd, Steppenwolf, Journey and the like played and invited some of the kids on stage.  I believe it was Ed King who invited my son up and let him strum the guitar a bit.  My son got them all to sign the set list and it’s in the house somewhere. 

My recollection is hazy because of the various guys in and out of Skynyrd over the years.  

Rock on Chef! 

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ll watch it. My son plays guitar, and his instructor is a pretty well known guy in this area.  He’s involved with Grammy voting (or was), worked with many notable artists (Phish, the Wilson sisters from Heart, Kanye as i recall).  Anyway, he makes custom guitars and was working with Ed King on a guitar just before EK died in 2018.  He said the hard part is the artists typically want what they want, but he’s particular on how he makes them and won’t sacrifice.  I think he and EK had worked through all that and unfortunately he passed away.  

I also have to check—many years ago my company had a conference in Mexico and the entertainment was the World Class Rockers.  We were drinking poolside and we’re going to skip the event but my son wanted to go, he was 11 or 12.  Anyway, it was a very cool event.  Guys from Skynyrd, Steppenwolf, Journey and the like played and invited some of the kids on stage.  I believe it was Ed King who invited my son up and let him strum the guitar a bit.  My son got them all to sign the set list and it’s in the house somewhere. 

My recollection is hazy because of the various guys in and out of Skynyrd over the years.  

Rock on Chef! 

Watching the documentary confirmed my suspicion that Ed was a very cool guy.  He really didn't fit in with the band.  From LA, not a southern boy, played in a pop band Strawberry Alarm Clock (Incense and Peppermints).  He got tired of the alcohol fueled shenanigans especially Ronnie who loved to fight.  So he bailed.  

It was interesting recently I listening to a Skynyrd song a couple of years ago (Workin' for MCA I think) and realized that I had picked up my drumming style from Artemis.  Shows how much I listened to them when I was cutting my chops as a teen.  We sure had fun playing their music.   

• Like (+1) 1

BTW the only time I saw them with Ronnie was at the Aud during the One More From the Road tour.  One of my favorite all time live concert memories is Ronnie was at the edge of the stage.  One hand on the mic the other on the mic stand.  Someone from the crowd jumped up and tried to grab his hat of his head.  Ronnie with one swift move and not missing a beat bashed the guy in the jaw with the mic stand base. Not sure if you've ever picked up a mic stand but those bases are heavy.  It was ***** awesome.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

BTW the only time I saw them with Ronnie was at the Aud during the One More From the Road tour.  One of my favorite all time live concert memories is Ronnie was at the edge of the stage.  One hand on the mic the other on the mic stand.  Someone from the crowd jumped up and tried to grab his hat of his head.  Ronnie with one swift move and not missing a beat bashed the guy in the jaw with the mic stand base. Not sure if you've ever picked up a mic stand but those bases are heavy.  It was ***** awesome.  

Old school!  

I never saw LS play, missed the concert at Rich (though @Muppy) was in attendance.  My buddies went, but I was doing something else.

I did see Rossington-Collins Band at Kleinhans, and somewhere else as I recall.  Love em, hate em or anywhere in between you saw true rock legends!  I’m not a musician, I flaked around when my parents paid hard earned money to take lessons and I was so unprepared I laid low in the back at church and hoped no one would notice I had no idea the chord progressions (or chords).  Still, I figured they would know I was Christian by my love (by my love)  and forgive me.   Little RC folk music humor if you don’t know the tune. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Old school!  

I never saw LS play, missed the concert at Rich (though @Muppy) was in attendance.  My buddies went, but I was doing something else.

I did see Rossington-Collins Band at Kleinhans, and somewhere else as I recall.  Love em, hate em or anywhere in between you saw true rock legends!  I’m not a musician, I flaked around when my parents paid hard earned money to take lessons and I was so unprepared I laid low in the back at church and hoped no one would notice I had no idea the chord progressions (or chords).  Still, I figured they would know I was Christian by my love (by my love)  and forgive me.   Little RC folk music humor if you don’t know the tune. 

Ha!  Funny thing about drummers.  We don't take lessons, we aren't taught, we are born.  I never remember being taught how to play a set.  Rudiments?  Absolutely had to be taught those.  I got my first drum at 4 or 5 and my first set at 12 or so and my first real set (Ludwigs) at 13.  Joined our band at 14.  If any of you old timers were from the Attica/Batavia area in the 70's you may have remember a band called Julius.  We had a keyboard player who's step-brothers were in that band (both drummers) and we played many of the same songs they did.  We told one of them we were thinking of playing Layla.  He quietly said "no".  For a bunch of 14 year olds we were good.  

Julius.  The highest I think I ever got was on that bus before one of their shows at the Attica Park.  LOL

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Ha!  Funny thing about drummers.  We don't take lessons, we aren't taught, we are born.  I never remember being taught how to play a set.  Rudiments?  Absolutely had to be taught those.  I got my first drum at 4 or 5 and my first set at 12 or so and my first real set (Ludwigs) at 13.  Joined our band at 14.  If any of you old timers were from the Attica/Batavia area in the 70's you may have remember a band called Julius.  We had a keyboard player who's step-brothers were in that band (both drummers) and we played many of the same songs they did.  We told one of them we were thinking of playing Layla.  He quietly said "no".  For a bunch of 14 year olds we were good.  

Julius.  The highest I think I ever got was on that bus before one of their shows at the Attica Park.  LOL

The only time I was out that way was to visit a cottage owned by my aunt and uncle. 

This was a good listen-thanks for sending it over.  Bet they were a fun band to see. 

15 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Old school!  

hey leo

I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd right before the crash yep at Rich stadium. Very specific memory of it which was some drunk threw a plastic water jug filled with red kool aid all over artimis Pyles drum kit he was PISSED...this was after like I THINK the first song or 2nd....the band walked off stage, we waited an hour...they came back finally to play Freebird and that was All Folks. a 3 song set due to some drunk ahole.

PS:     am I the only dork that had to really think...44 years ago whoa......2021 - 44  =.........

lol

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.