Anyone Have This Frustration With The Titans Game

corta765

3 hours ago, Rico said:

My frustration is that when I look at the Titans roster, I see a team full of scrubs playing way over their head because they match up well against the Bills. :thumbdown:

You should look harder at their roster then. Look they are weak at corner and the Bills did expose that... Beas, Sander and Diggs all had 90 yard days. But people on this forum trash the Titans every offseason and write them off and every year they have a winning record and make the playoffs. Their roster is not perfect, none is in this era, but it is pretty good.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

My frustration is that when I look at the Titans roster, I see a team full of scrubs playing way over their head because they match up well against the Bills. :thumbdown:

Their Defense wanted it more. Same feeling I got in the Pitt game. As the game went on their D played harder than ours. In the 2nd half they made it difficult to convert on 3rd down. Sure Josh made plays but they weren't gimmies. When we had them 3rd and long we still played big to account for Henry and that let AJ Brown and Westbrook of all people to eat Wallace alive on crossing routes. 1st down after 1st down wearing the defense down so Henry can bowl them over once in the RZ. It was really frustrating to watch knowing what their doing and couldn't do anything to stop it cause they were so worried about Henry.

Edited by billsbackto81

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Their Defense wanted it more. Same feeling I got in the Pitt game. As the game went on their D played harder than ours. In the 2nd half they made it difficult to convert on 3rd down. Sure Josh made plays but they weren't gimmies. When we had them 3rd and long we still played big nickel to account for Henry and that let AJ Brown and Westbrook of all people to eat Wallace alive on crossing routes. 1st down after 1st down wearing the defense down so Henry can bowl them over once in the RZ. It was really frustrating to watch knowing what their doing and couldn't do anything to stop it cause they were so worried about Henry.

Which was not very often. 4 times in their last 7 drives were they 3rd and 5+. 

18 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Seems to me like the Bills went into this one with a defensive plan to stop Henry and pressure Tannehill into incompletions. It looked like it worked fairly well in the first half, at least through most of the second quarter. I mean, the Titans offense in the first half was basically three plays: (1) the run by Henry where the defense broke down; (2) the crazy pass that bounced off of the defender and should have been intercepted; and (3) the tipped Allen interception that put them in great field position. I thought the defense actually played pretty well in the first half other than those three fluke plays. Henry had been mostly bottled (except for one run) and Tannehill was getting consistently pressured.

My frustration is that all of that went to ***** in the second half.

I'll say this in defense of the defense. They had a game against the Chiefs the week earlier where they played lights out in an incredibly emotional hard way. The second half I honestly thought having a second night game in two weeks that had a lot of emotion finally was catching them a little bit physically. The guys are human and the first drive for the Titans in the second half was a nearly 7 minute 12 play drive for a Henry TD which included the big 4th down conversion for the Titans. Watching the game it felt like that was truly the big momentum swing for the Titans as had the Bills stopped them Buffalo is up 23-17 with an opportunity to make it a two score game. Instead they went up 24-23 and had forced their will on our defense. It just seemed like things finally caught our guys are little bit. Making matters worse the Titans next two drives were over ten minutes combined so the defense was really starting to wear too and I just gotta believe being human you they started having that feeling it was all uphill climb.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think the biggest frustration with this team is that they look they are certainly built to be successful in the regular season, but not built to win in the playoffs because of their glaring weakness in the trenches.

And if we do get bounced early in the playoffs and/or not reach the SB again this year Beane is going to have to understand that big time changes are needed and not simply believe that 'continuity' will magically change things.

Beane has given the D line a great deal of attention and investment.  We still need another big 1-tech DT.  As for the O line, many of us have felt that in his plans, next year's draft is when he'll beef up that line.  Skinny Feliciano isn't cutting it, Darryl Williams is a tackle not a guard and so isn't going to be optimal, and Morse hasn't played up to the level of his salary.  Dawkins is good, but we need better than good at LT.  

The D did not play well enough to win.  After Henry ripped off that 75 yard TD run & especially in the 2d half the D had trouble against the play action pass.  Our three LBs took a step forward or hesitated & that allowed the Titan receivers to get open behind them for good gains.

We needed some D calls designed to defense the play action.

It's threads like these that remind me how young so many of our fans must be.  Because if you're so brought down by a game like we had Monday night, just because they didn't get that last half yard and win this helluva game, I cannot honestly believe you've been around from those infamous 4 Super Bowl losses, through the Wade Pnillips years, then the notorious downward slide that followed for so many painful years. 

It might help to think about how you might look back on this game, this season (which looks like it will be another great one), ten or fifteen years or so from now when they might now be so good again.  It didn't turn out perfect and they had their issues for sure.  But this team was and is very exciting and is loaded with a lot of young talent that is developing very nicely. 

It seems that so many fans, everywhere really, have an unrealistic expectation of perfection and don't deal well with the bumps that come with a good ride.  They won't win all the big games, but at least they can make it a great game like they did this last Monday night.  It could be so much worse.   It has been so much worse. 

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

Obviously losing Monday stunk for a bunch of reasons. For me while you do not want to lose my greater frustration was just the potential seeding tiebreaker, but I had another thought that bugged me more then anything else. I feel like for the second dang year we played in a game that will be considered one of the best on the season and came out on the losing side. Last year when we lost to Cardinals last second my frustration wasn't as much the loss because it happens and like Monday they lost but it doesn't ruin the season I am confident the team will be fine. But for the love of god can we come out on the better side of this equation haha. We play the Titans next year and like this offseason I am going to have to hear a years worth of how great the game wise, blah blah blah and it's deja vu all over. Hopefully we win the SB so we have the ultimate trump card, but it would be really freakin nice to play in one of the games of the year and not come out on the losing end and actually be able to enjoy watching it back.

Yeah, they're going to make commercials out of Henry's 76 yard TD run just like there are commercials of the Hail Murray. 

Except they're going to have to edit out our guys getting held on the Henry TD. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

think that McDermott just gets outcoached by some guys.  Then, like he did as a HS wrestler, he studies and works and studies and works and goes at it and goes at it until he masters it.

from the look on Vrabels face. 

hard to believe 

6 hours ago, corta765 said:

Obviously losing Monday stunk for a bunch of reasons. For me while you do not want to lose my greater frustration was just the potential seeding tiebreaker, but I had another thought that bugged me more then anything else. I feel like for the second dang year we played in a game that will be considered one of the best on the season and came out on the losing side. Last year when we lost to Cardinals last second my frustration wasn't as much the loss because it happens and like Monday they lost but it doesn't ruin the season I am confident the team will be fine. But for the love of god can we come out on the better side of this equation haha. We play the Titans next year and like this offseason I am going to have to hear a years worth of how great the game wise, blah blah blah and it's deja vu all over. Hopefully we win the SB so we have the ultimate trump card, but it would be really freakin nice to play in one of the games of the year and not come out on the losing end and actually be able to enjoy watching it back.

What bothered me was this notion post-game that we did not want to get into an Overtime game with Tennessee. 

We kick that Field Goal there and its 34-34 and we're a coin flip away from Allen getting the ball again with a chance to score a Touchdown and end that thing. 

Tennessee wasn't stopping the Bills offense either. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You should look harder at their roster then. Look they are weak at corner and the Bills did expose that... Beas, Sander and Diggs all had 90 yard days. But people on this forum trash the Titans every offseason and write them off and every year they have a winning record and make the playoffs. Their roster is not perfect, none is in this era, but it is pretty good.

They lost to the Jets.

Sorry, I don’t see it. They’ve always been a BS franchise to me (except maybe when Bum Phillips was coach in the 70’s).

26 minutes ago, Rico said:

They lost to the Jets.

Sorry, I don’t see it. They’ve always been a BS franchise to me (except maybe when Bum Phillips was coach in the 70’s).

They did. They have a game or two like that every year and were missing players. But their roster is talented. Landry and Simmons up front, Byard in the secondary, AJ Brown and Julio are two top 10 receivers, Lewan is a top 10 left tackle, Henry is a beast. 

Their roster isn't perfect, but "full of scrubs" is just flat out wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They did. They have a game or two like that every year and were missing players. But their roster is talented. Landry and Simmons up front, Byard in the secondary, AJ Brown and Julio are two top 10 receivers, Lewan is a top 10 left tackle, Henry is a beast. 

Their roster isn't perfect, but "full of scrubs" is just flat out wrong. 

I know it isn’t apples to apples because of different systems, but who would start for the Bills that starts for the Titans? Obviously Henry, then Simmons, and I’d take Brown or Julio over Sanders. Byard is arguable, but I’m happy with our safeties. I’d take Saffold, and (though I hate him), I would hold my nose and take Lewan.

That’s it for me. No doubt I’m a homer, but I see a lot of ham-&-eggers on that team.

4 hours ago, Rico said:

I know it isn’t apples to apples because of different systems, but who would start for the Bills that starts for the Titans? Obviously Henry, then Simmons, and I’d take Brown or Julio over Sanders. Byard is arguable, but I’m happy with our safeties. I’d take Saffold, and (though I hate him), I would hold my nose and take Lewan.

That’s it for me. No doubt I’m a homer, but I see a lot of ham-&-eggers on that team.

I agree with those, and I wouldn't take Byard even though I do think he is a good player. But in addition, Ben Jones has been a better center than Mitch Morse the past 3 years, Harold Landry would start for us on the edge and while they are still young and unproven Kristian Fulton who has had a nice season but missed Monday injured and Caleb Farley who left the game injured are more talented than Levi. 

I don't think Tennessee are more talented than Buffalo, but I think there is a strong case that 8 of their guys would make a combined team of Bills - Titans. That is not a team full of scrubs. Teams full of scrubs don't string together 5 consecutive winning seasons (and it is almost bound to be 6). They are to me the classic playoff team that isn't a Championship team. But they have a pretty unique style of play in the 2021 NFL and they can give the teams above them in the pecking order a bloody nose on their day. In the Tannehill era they now have 2 wins vs Bills, 2 wins vs Ravens and 1 win vs Chiefs. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with those, and I wouldn't take Byard even though I do think he is a good player. But in addition, Ben Jones has been a better center than Mitch Morse the past 3 years, Harold Landry would start for us on the edge and while they are still young and unproven Kristian Fulton who has had a nice season but missed Monday injured and Caleb Farley who left the game injured are more talented than Levi. 

I don't think Tennessee are more talented than Buffalo, but I think there is a strong case that 8 of their guys would make a combined team of Bills - Titans. That is not a team full of scrubs. Teams full of scrubs don't string together 5 consecutive winning seasons (and it is almost bound to be 6). They are to me the classic playoff team that isn't a Championship team. But they have a pretty unique style of play in the 2021 NFL and they can give the teams above them in the pecking order a bloody nose on their day. In the Tannehill era they now have 2 wins vs Bills, 2 wins vs Ravens and 1 win vs Chiefs. 

The Titans are very good talented team but their team is focused a certain way. Their two losses in the playoffs the last two years happened when the Chiefs offense got going and Henry was held in check long enough to make the lead untouchable. The loss to the Ravens was a team who could match their style and physicality. Buffalo can do what the Chiefs did and were basically a 4th down stop/FG turned into TD from doing so. I think that is what is kinda their undoing is the fact they have certain brand and if it doesn't work it stymies them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.