Beane's Draft Picks: Is Allen His Only Success?

Gugny

On 10/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, Gugny said:

I'll preface with sharing my opinion that I think Beane is a fantastic GM and that I've liked the vast majority of his early round picks.

But reading various topics and comments here, I feel like the general sentiment on this board is that Beane's only decent pick has been Josh Allen.

According to many, the list of busts include (but is not limited to):  Moss, Singletary, Knox, Edmunds, Ford, Oliver and Phillips.

Maybe I'm a homer; but it's more likely that some people/"fans," are just impossible to please.

There are a few nutballs out there. Always. On any subject.

So far his drafting record has been very good. Not great but very good.

Particularly if you throw out the 2017 draft when Beane wasn't here yet, we've only had one draft class that has been here three years and can thus be properly evaluated. And that class was terrific, though they had an advantage from having so many extra picks acquired in the search to find a QB allowing tradeups.

The next year, even with Ford not looking good right now, is a good class, with Oliver and Knox looking like good and great picks, Singletary looking like a solid third-rounder and Jaquan Johnson, Darryl Johnson and Tommy Sweeney all looking like real bargains. And we hae only seen two years out of those guys, there's still meat on the bone.

Same with more recent classes.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, CaliBills said:

I find it interesting on trying to say if a draft pick is successful or not.  Because in my opinion, it depends on the method on which a GM drafts players. 

Some GMs look for the most "NFL ready" players.  While Beane looks at ability/size and says "I trust our coaches to bring out the best and teach them" which I am sure is the fundamental agreement between Beane and McDermott.   If the coaches do their jobs, then these draft picks can become something special.

Examples: Knox, Edmunds, Allen, Rousseau, Spencer Brown

Then they sign vets that are proven to help develop those players along as well.  

Success vs Failure is not just a 1 person thing.  It falls on GM/HC/OC/DC/Assistants/Teammates/Executives/Scouts/hell maybe even the ball boys or equipment managers lol.

Great points. I'm not sure I agree with your second paragraph. I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as looking at just ability/size. There's far more to it.

But you're dead on that development is a huge issue in this, and that their development process seems to be working really well right now under McDermott, and with the commitment to bring in great locker room guys in FA and trades.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:12 AM, Doc Brown said:

There's a lot of teams in that boat as far as passing over Metcalf goes.  Imagine being the Cardinals and drafting Andy Isabella two spots earlier who is basically Arizona's fifth WR who's been a healthy scratch most games this season.  The Pats picking Harry in the first round that year will always put a smile on my face.

Let's say we did take Metcalf.  Would he have developed in Buffalo (Allen's 2nd year) like he did in Seattle in his rookie year?  He had a future HOF QB in Wilson at the top of his game to throw him the ball and nobody's better at throwing the deep ball than Wilson.  His rookie year was basically running only vertical routes and then he developed slowly into a complete WR.  I don't know if he improves that quickly into a complete WR if we drafted him.  Do we make the trade for Diggs with him on the roster who was crucial to Allen's development?  I just hesitate to label that as a major mistake given where this offense is now.  For all those reasons I'd pry take Elgton Jenkins over Metcalf if Beane had a do over in the 2nd round.

How about AJ BROWN?

• Like (+1) 1

Beane is a wizard.

His drafting, free agent signing, trading, and team building are exactly what the this team needs. 

The overall record since he became the GM of the Buffalo Bills speaks to that. 

This team is set up for continued sustainable success as long as Beane continues doing what he's done since he got here. No need to change anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, BaaadThingsMan said:

Beane is a wizard.

His drafting, free agent signing, trading, and team building are exactly what the this team needs. 

The overall record since he became the GM of the Buffalo Bills speaks to that. 

This team is set up for continued sustainable success as long as Beane continues doing what he's done since he got here. No need to change anything. 

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!:worthy:

• Haha (+1) 2

Beane when compared to the previous seventeen years, has been a complete success, as has McDermott. Fans that only consider perfection as an acceptable outcome are confused, 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, Gugny said:

I'll preface with sharing my opinion that I think Beane is a fantastic GM and that I've liked the vast majority of his early round picks.

But reading various topics and comments here, I feel like the general sentiment on this board is that Beane's only decent pick has been Josh Allen.

According to many, the list of busts include (but is not limited to):  Moss, Singletary, Knox, Edmunds, Ford, Oliver and Phillips.

Maybe I'm a homer; but it's more likely that some people/"fans," are just impossible to please.

Why didn’t I ban you when I had the chance?  Now everybody thinks you’re cute like the crazy eccentric uncle who is always sat at the kid’s table.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.