Beane's Draft Picks: Is Allen His Only Success?

Gugny

It’s the flavor of the week to pile on some of these guys. Beane drafts talent, it’s on the coaches to develop that talent. It’s on the players to put the work in. I don’t think we can look at recent draft picks and say they don’t have enough talent to be successful in this league. Why are they not progressing? Why aren’t some of these guys hitting their max potential? Valid discussions can be had for a lot of that, but the talent is there

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with sharing my opinion that I think Beane is a fantastic GM and that I've liked the vast majority of his early round picks.

But reading various topics and comments here, I feel like the general sentiment on this board is that Beane's only decent picks have been Josh Allen and Tre White.

According to many, the list of busts include (but is not limited to):  Moss, Singletary, Knox, Edmunds, Ford, Oliver and Phillips.

Maybe I'm a homer; but it's more likely that some people/"fans," are just impossible to please.

That is what a genius McDermott is....able to take a rag tag group of no names to the top of the league.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not sure what to make of the strange way they are approaching our recent 2nd Rd EDGE guys is Basham and Epenesa.... frustrating to say the least. 

After the game on Monday night McD was asked why AJ and Boogie were healthy scratches and I thought I heard McD say "We wanted to get a look at some other guys."  This leads me to believe they are looking to trade some of our d line depth.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

After the game on Monday night McD was asked why AJ and Boogie were healthy scratches and I thought I heard McD say "We wanted to get a look at some other guys."  This leads me to believe they are looking to trade some of our d line depth.

I mean, that makes sense, but also... what?? That was a big game and we're out here auditioning dudes lol?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Gugny changed the title to Beane's Draft Picks: Is Allen His Only Success?
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

White wasn’t a Beane pick.

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't pick Tre White. 

I think lots of Beane's picks have been a success. Josh is the only one who has been an elite difference maker.

Thanks, fellas.  I've made the proper edit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Well they lost by 3 points so of course some people will think his picks all suck. If they win after the bye week his picks will be mostly great again. 

I'm surprised Allen is still a good QB after he failed to get the first down

Allen is trash. Utter trash. Didn’t throw for 450 and 6 TD.  We should have beat them by 28 Pts easily.  He should have rushed for 150 with another 2 TD. He also needs to sack-up and start playing Defense and get a few sacks.  Lazy trash for what we are paying him. I also think he should start playing center since that’s a weak spot. Direct snap to himself and maybe if he passed better he could pass it to himself too, in the end zone of course. That would be another 2 TD-easy. Utter trash 

So it might make sense to go through the depth chart and assign FA, Draft, Before Beane (BB)

Per the Bills Website: 

WR - Sanders - FA

LT - Dawkins - BB

LG - Feliciano - FA

C- Morse - FA

RG- Williams- FA

RT- Brown- Draft

TE-Knox - Draft

QB- Allen- Draft

RB- Singletary - Draft

WR - Beasley- FA

WR- Diggs - FA - Trade

LDE- Rousseau - Draft

DT - Oliver - Draft

DT- Star - FA

RDE- Hughes - BB

MLB- Edmunds - Draft

WLB- Milano - BB

NCB- Johnson - Draft

CB- White- BB

CB- Wallace - UDFA (draft)

S- Poyer - BB

S- Hyde - BB

Totals: 
Draft - 9 Starters

FA - 7 starters

BB - 6 Starters

His best draft pick to date is Allen hands down. I don't think he inherited the terrible roster some here like to say. The defensive roster was pretty good, noting 5 starters are still kicking around from the pre Beane era. 

Rousseau is probably his best, right out of the gate good, starter. 

He has struggled to fill OL, we have average performance for the 5th highest paid unit in the league. It is OK, but also doesn't really have any draft picks playing. Letting Wyatt Teller go is on both him and McD. 

The real Beane test will be how he can draft for immediate impact while managing the cap going forward. Like next year, with Edumunds 5th year option we will have the 6th highest paid unit? If we re-sign Edmunds, that number will stay about the same, and we will need to do a much better job of filling the OL and WR rooms with draft picks than we have in order to save cash. (I have faith in Davis and Stevenson, they just aren't playing much at the moment). How does he replace Hyde and Poyer? Do you resign Oliver, at what cost, or who replaces him? The Star decision will be at about the same time. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

terrible idea.  you "get a look" at some other guys in preseason.  Not during an important divisional matchup.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Hes done a pretty good job but some of his high round picks have not lived up to their draft status. 

Is it nitpicky? Kinda.

The other issue is if a guy takes by year 4 to be a impact player you have lost the benefit of the rookie contract.

Cody Ford is a pick that has definitely set us back. Ed Oliver is not living up to the pick, that may not be his fault.

They have gotten solid players at most picks so we have avoided the bad busts for the most part.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1

I just mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth mentioning again...

I think Beane has done a great job building a team that can rack up wins in the regular season, but this is not a team built to win in the playoffs because we have no bullies in the trenches. Just a bunch of finesse players that can get the job done for the most part but struggle mightily on both sides of the ball against physical teams that 'take it to you'. And we will no doubt see the Titans or a similar team in the playoffs and that's where our season ends IMO.

So assuming we exit the playoffs early and/or don't reach the SB again this year, we'll find out how good a GM Beane really is because big time changes will be needed on the OL/DL in the offseason and not sure we'll have the cap space to successfully navigate that and can't rely soly on the draft to fix.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

he is the best talent evaluator, drafter, trader we have had in 30 years. we are a top 3 team in the league and can play with/beat anyone. 

we are set up for a 3-4 year super bowl window with a manageable cap. 

we have a +100 point differential

do you prefer to go back to the russ brandon, buddy nix, doug whaley/ rex etc. clown shows?

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.