Beane's Draft Picks: Is Allen His Only Success?

Gugny

I'll preface with sharing my opinion that I think Beane is a fantastic GM and that I've liked the vast majority of his early round picks.

But reading various topics and comments here, I feel like the general sentiment on this board is that Beane's only decent pick has been Josh Allen.

According to many, the list of busts include (but is not limited to):  Moss, Singletary, Knox, Edmunds, Ford, Oliver and Phillips.

Maybe I'm a homer; but it's more likely that some people/"fans," are just impossible to please.

Edited by Gugny
Removed White as a Beane pick.
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

He has done a very good job up to this point. He along with McDermott have built a winning culture. The Bills record over the last 4 years with roster he built along with coaching prove that. No matter how this season plays out I just hope Beane focuses on the OL this coming offseason in FA and the draft.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll preface with sharing my opinion that I think Beane is a fantastic GM and that I've liked the vast majority of his early round picks.

But reading various topics and comments here, I feel like the general sentiment on this board is that Beane's only decent picks have been Josh Allen and Tre White.

According to many, the list of busts include (but is not limited to):  Moss, Singletary, Knox, Edmunds, Ford, Oliver and Phillips.

Maybe I'm a homer; but it's more likely that some people/"fans," are just impossible to please.

I think it all depends what your criteria for a successful pick given their draft status.  IMO you need to have reasonable expectations.  I think it’s fair to question why a Top 10 draft pick like Ed Oliver hasn’t made more of an impact over the first 3 years of his career.  

Or why a 2nd round selection like Cody Ford can’t crack the starting lineup.  

Calling backs like Moss or Singletary “busts” despite being productive as 3rd round picks seems a little unfair.  

All GM’s have had mixed success with the draft, so I think that Bills fans sometimes lose sight of that.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But reading various topics and comments here, I feel like the general sentiment on this board is that Beane's only decent picks have been Josh Allen and Tre White.

It's also likely that some fans have not idea what is being asked of players in the team. Every player you listed that some fans have issue with (outside of Ford IMO) do an amazing job of playing their 1/11th when called upon. 

Amazes me that with so many "busts" and "bad players" we aren't the Detroit Lions: AFC Edition.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I think it all depends what your criteria for a successful pick given their draft status.  IMO you need to have reasonable expectations.  I think it’s fair to question why a Top 10 draft pick like Ed Oliver hasn’t made more of an impact over the first 3 years of his career.  

Or why a 2nd round selection like Cody Ford can’t crack the starting lineup.  

Calling backs like Moss or Singletary “busts” despite being productive as 3rd round picks seems a little unfair.  

All GM’s have had mixed success with the draft, so I think that Bills fans sometimes lose sight of that.  

What constitutes “productive”?  Neither were productive last season.  Both look improved this season but I’d prefer more production out of my 3rd rd picks than what we’ve gotten from them

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What constitutes “productive”?  Neither were productive last season.  Both look improved this season but I’d prefer more production out of my 3rd rd picks than what we’ve gotten from them

They've been productive given their physical limitations and lack of touches.  I don't think they're great, obviously, but they've given us okay production for 3rd round draft picks.  People love to hate on Devin, but he's averaging over 5 ypc, and Moss does a good job of grinding out tough yards.  Go back and watch these games, they aren't getting much of anything blocking wise up front. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

White wasn’t a Beane pick.

I thought he was the first pick made by Beane/McDermott.

3 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Is this a joke? They lose a 3 point game to a good team on Monday night football a week after going into arrowhead and beating a hall of fame coach and quarterback and now we are calling our GM into question who has overseen a playoff team 3/4 soon to be 4/5 years?

To be clear, I am not calling Beane into question (as indicated in the very first sentence of my post).  I'm simply reacting to the daily/weekly topics/comments re: "Early Round Draft Pick," either not playing to potential or being a bust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFan1 said:

Oliver and Ford are two guys that don't seem to be measuring up.

Oliver is fine and seems to be improving incrementally.  It often takes interior defensive lineman a couple of years to really hit their stride.

Ford, on the other hand, seems to be a certified bust at this point.  

Let's take a look at all of the major contributors to our current stud team drafted by Beane:

Allen, Edmunds, Taron Johnson, Neal, Knox, Singletary, Oliver, Bass, Gabe Davis, Moss, Spencer Brown and Rousseau.  And we've gotten contributions from Dane Jackson, Darryl Johnson, Jaquan Johnson, Harrison Phillips.  Guys like Epenesa, Basham and Sweeney also show promise.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

I like the philosophy of taking 3rd round backs, but if Singletary/Moss are what we're rolling out there - might as well just take 5th round backs.  I think they both have more juice than a RB we could get in the 5th round, but the way we use backs can anyone tell me we'd be worse off having backs like Chuba Hubbard and then using 3rd round picks on more impactful positions for us.  

Oliver is a good player, but a bust for where we took him.  We won't have a shot at a pick that high for a long time, and we took a guy who's a rotational DT for us and may or may not be given a second contract here.  

Cody Ford is another massive bust.  

Not sure what to make of the strange way they are approaching our recent 2nd Rd EDGE guys is Basham and Epenesa.... frustrating to say the least.  

HOWEVER, Allen pretty much overcomes any amount of bust picks Beane could have made so far. 

Edmunds shows potential to be great, albeit also being very head shaking at times. 

Tight Ends typically take time to develop, and Knox is beginning to look like he may become one of the next top end TE's in the NFL.

Too early to say, but Brown and Rousseau look like they could be high end players for our lines over the next 10 years. 

Davis was a solid WR taken in the mid round.  

Taron Johnson is one of the top Nickel corners in the NFL. 

Bass was a great pick to lock down our kicker spot.  

• Like (+1) 2

He has acquired many good players but I think we are still looking for a “dominant” game-changing player on defense from one of his draft picks.

I’m also bitter about the Wyatt Teller trade. I would hope that he and those in charge would be able to see a potential all-pro offensive linemen after a year and a half of watching them, and not trade them for peanuts.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.