The Edmunds Report - Week 6, Bills v. Titians, 10/18/21

Freddie's Dead

On 10/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

In the immortal words of John Cleese, "It's people like you what cause unrest".  You've now taken on me, @Mike in Horseheads and @GoBills808, not by debating our conclusions, but with condescending, ad hominem attacks.  This thread is for people that want to discuss football.  If you want to discuss football with respect, feel free to post.  If not, you're not welcome here.  Take your personal attacks and your condescending attitude to other threads, there are plenty of people out there who will be more than happy to engage you.  

Don't be distracted Freddie. We got to get to the bottom of #49's value.

I would like to know how much he's  still learning or if he just can't hunt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

Don't be distracted Freddie. We got to get to the bottom of #49's value.

I would like to know how much he's  still learning or if he just can't hunt.

Thanks, you got it John.  The Edmunds Report is undeterred.  Enjoy your bye week, see you next Sunday.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

On 10/21/2021 at 12:57 PM, GoBills808 said:

Are you saying that you think a QB sneak for than less than a yard is a low percentage play, offensively?

Re: Edmunds

Totallty unsure, but seems like guys long reach (long arms not for sure) better at stopping Henry? Food for thought a weakness?. Edmunds that type of player. 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Totallty unsure, but seems like guys long reach (long arms not for sure) better at stopping Henry? Food for thought a weakness?. Edmunds that type of player. 

Possibly…Henry is just a runaway train, there aren’t a lot of players w the levers to manufacture a hindrance…I’d say Edmunds did about as well as one can.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, gobills404 said:

Turner is right on this.

Of course,  he wasn't saying Edmunds could play faster and better before..........he was always pretending that the criticisms of his late reactions and inability to get off of blocks........weren't accurate.........which was simply disingenuine.    That is unfortunate,  I think he has a good understanding of the game but if you aren't objective you might as well be an ESPN talking head just saying what sells.

Edmunds has absolutely made strides so far this season.

• Agree 5

On 10/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, Mr. WEO said:

how many other players have so many “see?? He’s actually good” threads? 

Look around the league. When you find bone-headed fans continuously finding a scapegoat, you'll see just as many "he's actually good" threads.

The reason being he's actually good and yet many don't want to see it, weirdly.

Lotulelei, another good player weirdly singled out consistently as a whipping boy by folks who don't quite it, rivals him.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:25 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Turner is right on this.

Of course,  he wasn't saying Edmunds could play faster and better before..........he was always pretending that the criticisms of his late reactions and inability to get off of blocks........weren't accurate.........which was simply disingenuine.    That is unfortunate,  I think he has a good understanding of the game but if you aren't objective you might as well be an ESPN talking head just saying what sells.

Edmunds has absolutely made strides so far this season.

He has made strides.

But the rest of your post is just plain wrong. 

Turner absolutely did say earlier on that Edmunds could get even better. And not just once. What you haven't liked is that Turner has said again and again even before this that Tremaine was playing very well even before the improvement.

So, yeah, he has indeed made strides. From very good to even better. Which is great to see. Still not elite, and probably still hasn't maxed out his potential - not surprising for a 23 year-old getting towards the middle of his fourth year - but it's still great to see that he's gotten even better. But he has always fitted the scheme and done well at what they ask him to do. It's why he's been the captain so long and why they picked up his $13M option last year even before he picked up his play even further this year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Look around the league. When you find bone-headed fans continuously finding a scapegoat, you'll see just as many "he's actually good" threads.

The reason being he's actually good and yet many don't want to see it, weirdly.

Lotulelei, another good player weirdly singled out consistently as a whipping boy by folks who don't quite it, rivals him.

He has made strides.

But the rest of your post is just plain wrong. 

Turner absolutely did say earlier on that Edmunds could get even better. And not just once. What you haven't liked is that Turner has said again and again even before this that Tremaine was playing very well even before the improvement.

So, yeah, he has indeed made strides. From very good to even better. Which is great to see. Still not elite, and probably still hasn't maxed out his potential - not surprising for a 23 year-old getting towards the middle of his fourth year - but it's still great to see that he's gotten even better. But he has always fitted the scheme and done well at what they ask him to do. It's why he's been the captain so long and why they picked up his $13M option last year even before he picked up his play even further this year.

I have heard Turner critique Tremaine before as well. Turner is pretty much always spot on. Atleast for the last 3 years. He just usually made sure in the past to state that people's critique of Tremaine was overblown for prior seasons (which is true, but maybe he was defending him a little too much?). I am in line with Badol's point though that this year is significantly an improvement for Tremaine, and really the first time he's showed this aggression and burst in his game. Once I began to see it in Tremaine's play this year, it immediately made sense what Badol was trying to point out before...

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:55 PM, GoBills808 said:

Possibly…Henry is just a runaway train, there aren’t a lot of players w the levers to manufacture a hindrance…I’d say Edmunds did about as well as one can.

I question if Henry is gonna run the ball 25+ times…. On down and distance, early downs etc…. Should the Bills play a 5-2-4? Bring in AJ Klein and put him on the line. Cover every OL and from time to time drop Klein into coverage.

I put 8 in the box all day…. Disguise coverages and drop back Klein or DE.

If Henry is gonna rush 25-30x a game, that’s nearly 50% of the plays. Continuing to run out base 4-3 or 4-2-5 ain’t gonna work. I have a feeling we will see them again this year. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I question if Henry is gonna run the ball 25+ times…. On down and distance, early downs etc…. Should the Bills play a 5-2-4? Bring in AJ Klein and put him on the line. Cover every OL and from time to time drop Klein into coverage.

I put 8 in the box all day…. Disguise coverages and drop back Klein or DE.

If Henry is gonna rush 25-30x a game, that’s nearly 50% of the plays. Continuing to run out base 4-3 or 4-2-5 ain’t gonna work. I have a feeling we will see them again this year. 

If the Bills put 8 in the box to stop DH, Tanny is going to play action us to death.  It will put a lot of pressure on the secondary, and they didn't do so well last time.  Bills D will have to near perfect, and the O can't afford to make the mistakes they made last time.  We're gonna see these guys in the AFCCG.

18 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If the Bills put 8 in the box to stop DH, Tanny is going to play action us to death.  It will put a lot of pressure on the secondary, and they didn't do so well last time.  Bills D will have to near perfect, and the O can't afford to make the mistakes they made last time.  We're gonna see these guys in the AFCCG.

All things being equal next I think I’d rather take my chances going heavier up front and if Tannehill can win vs our secondary good on him.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I’m not saying play the run. Just saying 8 in the box. Maybe they run, maybe they check out of the run. Bills maybe play the run or maybe the pass…. But you’re putting 8 in the box and keeping them guessing. Not saying all game but if 50% of the plays are run…. Why not put 5 guys on the line, plus 2 LBs….. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

All things being equal next I think I’d rather take my chances going heavier up front and if Tannehill can win vs our secondary good on him.

When you say heavier, do you mean a heavier DL or playing 3 LBs instead of Taron?  I’m assuming your talking about playing 3 LBs.  I just don’t think that we will.  McD strayed from his nickel vs the ravens in the playoffs last year, but I can’t see him doing it vs the Titans. Other than 3 runs (and holds) I thought we stifled Henry.  I thought the play action is what really got the best of us.

The DL couldn’t be much heavier than it was vs the Titans except swapping out Zimmer for Butler.  No epenesa or Basham was frustrating.  

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

When you say heavier, do you mean a heavier DL or playing 3 LBs instead of Taron?  I’m assuming your talking about playing 3 LBs.  I just don’t think that we will.  McD strayed from his nickel vs the ravens in the playoffs last year, but I can’t see him doing it vs the Titans. Other than 3 runs (and holds) I thought we stifled Henry.  I thought the play action is what really got the best of us.

The DL couldn’t be much heavier than it was vs the Titans except swapping out Zimmer for Butler.  No epenesa or Basham was frustrating.  

Well obviously McDermott and Frazier know what they're doing...I am just hypothesizing but it wouldn't shock me if we were to play Tennessee again and they went to a more traditional 4-3, if only because Henry and the Titans offense attack you in such specific ways. The Bills are rightly confident in their base nickel but I do wonder if letting the front 7 play the run more traditionally, against an offense that is built around the biggest mismatch RB in the game, would be better option than needing to rely on DBs crashing down the line to hit him below the waist.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well obviously McDermott and Frazier know what they're doing...I am just hypothesizing but it wouldn't shock me if we were to play Tennessee again and they went to a more traditional 4-3, if only because Henry and the Titans offense attack you in such specific ways. The Bills are rightly confident in their base nickel but I do wonder if letting the front 7 play the run more traditionally, against an offense that is built around the biggest mismatch RB in the game, would be better option than needing to rely on DBs crashing down the line to hit him below the waist.

If we play them again this year it would be in the Playoffs and Henry will likely be worn down by that time.  He has already had 209 touched in 7 games which is borderline unsustainable.  At that rate for a full season it would be 448 touches.

• Agree 1

On 10/22/2021 at 10:55 PM, GoBills808 said:

I agree. I mean all Defenses have their hands full with him anyway. But seemed to me Edmunds did pretty solid against him. He laid some good hits on him and didn't seem to get bulldozed and run over.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Agreed.  i was hoping to see some 4-3 vs the Titans this time around and I think mixing it up vs a heavy run team makes a lot of sense…. I just don’t think they’ll do it.  They love them some nickel.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Well that's basically what he did. Probably goes without saying but, so much attention is on Henry it opens up everything else. Especially if Brown/Jones are playing. Although  Bills could have and should have definitely won that game, that said Titians are a team I don't want to play in post season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

When it came to the run defense aspect we were out coached and out played, it was a close game against a good team, Imo we pooched the last play, but my opinion doesn’t mean anything. 

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well that's basically what he did. Probably goes without saying but, so much attention is on Henry it opens up everything else. Especially if Brown/Jones are playing. Although  Bills could have and should have definitely won that game, that said Titians are a team I don't want to play in post season.

Yes, the difference in nickel is how much ground your LBs have to cover in playaction, combined with you are already outmatched physically having a DB instead of a linebacker…going 4-3 vs Titans would put more pressure on the secondary to play coverage but that’s their strength. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.