The Edmunds Report - Week 6, Bills v. Titians, 10/18/21

Freddie's Dead

The Week 6 Bills v. Titians edition of The Edmunds Report is here.  I will state what I see on a play, then assign a point system -1, 0, +1, and keep a running total.  I'll ignore plays where he's not involved and only look at coverage if he's onscreen (I don't have the All-22).  I'll also flag plays for the haterz so they can skip the rest.  Based on feedback, I'll also be looking at plays where 49 is rushing the passer to determine his relative effectiveness there.  Let's go to the tape.

Titians 1st possession

3rd and 11, TIT 9 - 49 drops deep, Tanny flips to TE, 49 makes tackle (HATERZ PLAY), but after giving up first down (-1,-1)

Titians 2nd possession

1st and 10, TIT 21 - Off tackle run to Henry, 49 blocked at point of attack, sheds block to cleanup on Groot's tackle (0,-1)

2nd and 10, TIT 21 - 49 held by Lewan on screen block, Henry trips and Tanny throws INC, but 49 was in position to make the tackle (0,-1)

3rd and 10, TIT 21 - 49 drops, Tanny has nowhere to go, scrambles, 49 runs right at him and Tanny air mails a ball into no man's land (+1,0)

Titians 3rd possession

1st and 10, TIT 34 - Toss sweep right to Henry, 49 chases down the line, sheds a block and is in the pile tackling Henry for a 3 yard gain (+1,+1)

Titians 4th possession

1st and 10, TIT 24 - Middle run to Henry, 49 lined up over left tackle, blocked further left by Saffold, as Henry hits the hole, 49 is at least 5 yards away and has no chance (HATERZ PLAY), Poyer, Taron Johnson, and Tre' White all held, no call on any of them, you know what happened next (-1,0)

Titians 5th possession

1st and 10, TIT 21 - Off tackle run left to Henry, 49 blocked in the back past the hole by 64 (no call), 49 gets a shoulder into Henry and Star and Groot clean up for a 2-yard gain (+1,+1)

2nd and 8, TIT 23 - 49 follows tight end in motion, then when Tanny scrambles, drops into zone following Tanny's eyes, as Tanny airmails it over Rogers's head (+1,+2)

1st and 10, BUF 29 - Pitch to Henry left, Addison does his best Josh Norman impersonation while eating Henry's stiff arm, but slows him up just enough for 49 to come in and lay the wood for a 3 yard TFL (+1,+3)  

3rd and 6, BUF 25 - 49 rushes the passer, not much penetration, looked ineffective, Tanny throws INC (0,+3)

Titians 6th possession

1st and 10, BUF 11 - 49 blocked by Saffold on Henry run, 49 sheds block and makes tackle (HATERZ PLAY), but not until Henry makes a 7-yard gain and Lewan gets racked up (-1,+2) 

2nd and 3, BUF 4 - 49 on right side of D in front of Addison who crashes down and bites hard on the RPO to Henry, while Tanny runs into the gaping hole left by Addison and 49 is blocked to the outside by 71 (HATERZ PLAY).  49 gets his left arm on Tanny's package, but that's it, as Tanny fights through Poyer's tackle into the EZ (-1,+1) 

Titians 7th possession

1st and 10, TIT 19 - Henry off-tackle left, 49 makes the tackle, but after a 6-yard gain (-1,0)

First half observations

I understand the haterz frustration with 49.  While he didn't exactly hurt us, he didn't exactly help us either.  We needed someone to step up on D and make a play, and no one did.  Tanny did not throw his way at all in the first half, but as we know, that changed in the second half.

Titians 8th possession

1st and 10, TIT 33 - 49 bites on PA to Henry, then drops, but too late, Tanny complete to AJ in the hole behind 49, 8 yard completion (-1,0)

2nd and 2, TIT 41 - 49 run blitz in to left of offense, runs right for 1st down (0,0)

2nd and 10 TIT 44 - Henry off tackle left, cuts back to middle, 49 blocked out of play (HATERZ PLAY), chases Henry, Hyde gets trucked for 19 yard gain (-1,-1)

2nd and 10, BUF 37 - Henry middle run, 49 crashes down from left side of defense and is in on the gang tackle (+1,0)

1st and 10, BUF 15 - Henry middle run, 49 crashes down to right side of defense, overruns the hole, trips and lands on his stomach (HATERZ PLAY, but well-deserved, 49 looked stupid on this one), Henry with a 4 yard gain. (-1,-1)

Titians 9th possession

1st and 10, TIT 35 - Henry left screen, 49 chases, misses tackle but cleaned up for 4-yard gain (0,-1)

3rd and 5, TIT 40 - 49 drops, as well as Obada on a zone blitz, Tanny (gotta give it up to the little *****) hits AJ for 12 yard first down reception in the seam between 49 and Obada (-1,-2)

1st and 10, BUF 47 - Delay draw to Henry, 49 fights off the block and tackles Henry for a 2 yard gain (+1,-1) NEED MORE OF THIS, 49!!

2nd and 17, BUF 32 - Quick slant to AJ, 49 makes immediate tackle for 6 yard gain (+1,0)

3rd and 11, BUF 26 - 49 drops, Tanny dumps to Jones on the crossing route, 49 makes immediate tackle for 4 yard gain to force the FG (+1,+1)

Titians 10th possession

1st and 10, TIT 30 - Henry middle run, 49 fights off blocks to help cleanup Star and Taron's tackle for no gain (+1,+2)

1st and 10, BUF 34 - Henry off tackle left, 49 fights through traffic and punks Henry high while Zim gets him low for a 1 yard TFL (+1,+3)

2nd and 11, BUF 35 - 49 drops, Tanny hits 15 on crossing route, with 49 again making an immediate tackle for a 5 yard gain (+1,+4)

3rd and 6, BUF 29 - 49 drops, Tanny goes back to 15, who avoids the tackle by 49 for the 1st down (-1,+3)

2nd and 1, BUF 13 - Henry off-tackle left, Saffold pwns 49 and opens a hole big enough for me to hit (HATERZ PLAY) and Henry walks into the EZ practically untouched (-1,+2)

Conclusions

1.  49 was not the reason the Bills lost this game, but he didn't do much to win it, either.  

2.  As a pass rusher, 49 doesn't have much to offer.  It's just not his game.

3.  49 was responsible for 5 catches for 35 yards, no PDs or INTs.

4.  I have to agree with the haterz this time that we needed 49 to make a few more plays this week.

49 grades overall:

Squeelers - B+ (6 HATERZ PLAYs)

Fish - INC (DVR #### the bed)

WTF's - B- (7 HATERZ PLAYs)

Erlers - A+ (2 HATERZ PLAYs)

Chefs - A- (11 HATERZ PLAYs)

Titians - C (7 HATERZ PLAYs)

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

above is the best analysis on this portal and an example of how we got out-executed on the field, stings since we lost the game by inches, hindsight is 20-20...so on the key qb keeper by Josh the whole world knew what play was coming; we had timeouts, why not put a back in the formation, run an RPO, likely keeping it and running right for more options, including a shovel pass, tackle eligible, sweep run by Josh or pass...our red zone strategy needs some deep thinking for improvement.

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Couple things.  

The way we play defense puts Edmunds in a tough position when we play a team like the titans.  2 LBs with responsibility of crashing up to stop Henry but also to get enough depth to take away the middle passes.  Impossible ask.  

Do the same thing for Milano in this game...he was invisible for the same reason.   

Second thing is the stick by Edmunds in second half was one of his better hits in his career.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

I dont have all 22, but I thought the linebackers were putrid in the game.  Feel like both Edmunds and Milano had a terrible time getting off of their blocks, forcing our safeties to take on Henry way too much.  I also thought Edmunds did a bad job on getting enough depth versus A.J. Brown's crossing routes.   He anticipated run plays stepped up out of his zone and let the wideout cross through his zone free.  

Admittedly I am not a big Edmunds fan, but I thought he was turning a corner coming off of two excellent games.   However, I think the bad linebacker play was a big reason the defense got run over on Monday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

21 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Couple things.  

The way we play defense puts Edmunds in a tough position when we play a team like the titans.  2 LBs with responsibility of crashing up to stop Henry but also to get enough depth to take away the middle passes.  Impossible ask.  

Do the same thing for Milano in this game...he was invisible for the same reason.   

Second thing is the stick by Edmunds in second half was one of his better hits in his career.  

It was clear from the tape that play action to Henry kept sucking up the LBs, which opened holes behind them.  Tanny hit the receivers in those holes.

22 minutes ago, eball said:

My admittedly untrained "eye test" while at the game Monday night was that Edmunds played well.  Milano, on the other hand, was nearly invisible.

Cookie's game did not bear close inspection.  He was invisible.

18 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont have all 22, but I thought the linebackers were putrid in the game.  Feel like both Edmunds and Milano had a terrible time getting off of their blocks, forcing our safeties to take on Henry way too much.  I also thought Edmunds did a bad job on getting enough depth versus A.J. Brown's crossing routes.   He anticipated run plays stepped up out of his zone and let the wideout cross through his zone free.  

Admittedly I am not a big Edmunds fan, but I thought he was turning a corner coming off of two excellent games.   However, I think the bad linebacker play was a big reason the defense got run over on Monday.

As posted above, play action to Henry was effective as *****.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Couple things.  

As I said last week, when 49 does get there, he brings the lumber.  He just needed to get there a few more times this game.

• Like (+1) 2

• Freddie's Dead changed the title to The Edmunds Report - Week 6, Bills v. Titians, 10/18/21

Hm, have mostly agreed with the overall assessments up until this one. 

While watching the game I thought it was Edmunds best game and found my friends and I texting quite a bit about him in our group chat. He played phenomenal in my opinion. 

Great work every week though, as this is becoming one of my must reads along with Virgil’s A Couple Thoughts 🍻 

The HATERZ PLAY is a bit tacky though 😭 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, elijah said:

While watching the game I thought it was Edmunds best game and found my friends and I texting quite a bit about him in our group chat. He played phenomenal in my opinion. 

Great work every week though, as this is becoming one of my must reads along with Virgil’s A Couple Thoughts 🍻 

My grade is probably colored by the fact that they lost the game.  If 49 made a PD or an INT on the seam throw between him and Obada, or could have tackled 15 before the first down, either one of those plays and the Bills likely win.  I have to call them as I see them, and we needed 49 to make just a few more plays. 

I use HATERZ PLAY to highlight plays for the haterz, and their primary beefs:

- can't shed OL blocks

- overruns the hole

- never gets to the hole

- bad instincts (whatever that means)

The haterz can then point to these plays, say "49 still sucks" and not read the rest.  Lazy analysis, lazy conclusions.

Thanks for reading, appreciate the feedback.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, elijah said:

me too and I’m one of the so-called “haterz” - I was very happy with his run defense.

4 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

above is the best analysis on this portal and an example of how we got out-executed on the field, stings since we lost the game by inches, hindsight is 20-20...so on the key qb keeper by Josh the whole world knew what play was coming; we had timeouts, why not put a back in the formation, run an RPO, likely keeping it and running right for more options, including a shovel pass, tackle eligible, sweep run by Josh or pass...our red zone strategy needs some deep thinking for improvement.

I honestly can't fault us for running a QB sneak on 4th and half a yard.  I don't care if the other team knows it's coming..  We have a 6'5 tank of a QB.  It should be automatic.  Maybe switch up the gaps he attacks on the sneak, but if you can't get a half yard with Josh Allen sneaking, you need new OL personnel (which we already knew).  Still, if we go shotgun RPO and Moss/Allen get blown up in the backfield or the pass is defended - EVERYONE is screaming that we should've QB sneaked it. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's great to see Tremaine playing at a higher level with consistency this season, and being way more physical. This organization really is starting to show a nice track record of developing their players. Six games is more than a blip at this point and that's VERY encouraging. He's been one of the top players on this defense this year!

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I had the stick at a -1 because it was a 6 yard gain.  <4 is typically a +1, >4 is typically a -1.  I commented on Erik Turner's video above.  

consider down and distance?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

It's great to see Tremaine playing at a higher level with consistency this season, and being way more physical. This organization really is starting to show a nice track record of developing their players. Six games is more than a blip at this point and that's VERY encouraging. He's been one of the top players on this defense this year!

consider down and distance?

I know it's the end of the half.  Giving up 6 yards on a 1st and 10 running play is a negative, for me.  One of the positive plays on Turner's video was a 7 yard run that Henry made down to the 3 yard line, when Lewan got racked up.  That's a -1 for me, all day long.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That can’t be a -1. It’s not his side, he gets there after Milano overruns his gap.

Dave Mason time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Couple things.  

Agreed. This is spot on. It's impossible to play decent pass defense in this situation.

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's virtually impossible to be responsible for Derrick Henry in a serious way and also cover AJ Brown. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.