What are your thoughts on Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He needs to shoot the gaps more often. He did that in the beginning of the game yesterday and he was dominant. He really likes to play heads up with a lineman and beat him like that instead of using his quickness and power to just blow by them and shrug them off if they get a hand on him. I think some of it is scheme/coaching tho. 

Yes he needs to talk to Bruce Smith, because being like Pat Williams, is not his game he does not have the weight Pat did needs to be more like Bruce was when they had him lined up over the guard just use that speed off the ball to get the center thinking.

Just now, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Yes he needs to talk to Bruce Smith, because being like Pat Williams, is not his game he does not have the weight Pat did needs to be more like Bruce was when they had him lined up over the guard just use that speed off the ball to get the center thinking.

I think this is a fantastic idea. I hope it will help bear more fruit for Ed Oliver and the Bills D moving forward. Win Win scenario.....I bet #78 would be into it right? Yeah of course why not? He seems in good health.... make it happen 1BD

GO BILLS!~!~!~!!!

He had a nice game yesterday, gotta have more of that play or he can officially be labeled as a rotational DT with nice upside. Not the guy you pay 15M or a top 10 pick for.  Thought it was a bad pick at the time and I stand by that.  I think this regime has just a little too much pride to not pick up his option, but unless he completely breaks out, they should not.  

He joins the growing list of guys they have over drafted and given too much opportunity to.   Thus far, only Allen has been the only early round pick worthy of the position picked.  Edmunds, Ford, Oliver, Eppenessa, and Basham are all looking bad in terms of their production vs the picks to get them.  It’s early on Boogie and Epp, I’ll say Groot looks like a real good pick, but this had better be his floor, not ceiling.  If he keeps growing, that’s going down as a great pick.    If we really get down to it, the first 3 rounds have not been great under Beane, Brown may also be a nice pick, but time will ultimately tell on that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's worth re-signing. He has not earned huge extension though so I I can see him not coming back. 

Agreed, this one will be interesting.  This has been his best season IMO, is that because he is figuring it out or because he is working for a potential contract/5th year option?  I guess if he wants to be in Buffalo and the Bills would want him longer term maybe there is a moderate deal (that fans will probably think is too high) that can be struck.

My hot take: I'd rather re-sign Oliver than Edmunds.

Like mentioned earlier in the thread, Ed has flashed a bunch this year. And has had a couple real solid games, including yesterday. I think he's finally being put in a position to succeed now that Star is back.

Definitely picking up his 5th year option and going from there.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Dislike 2

I think he's played well enough to earn getting his 5th year option picked up. Unless he makes the pro bowl this year that option would be ~$10m which I would take any day. This gives you some room to make a decision as he plays on his 5th year option and give you some runway to extend some other folks first (Edmunds).

If he keeps playing the way he does I'd come with a 3 year deal and try to make it average out to somewhere between $11-13m a year (would put him top 10-15 range of DT salaries), depending on how the cap shifts I'd like to see if I can get the cap hit down into the 8-9's through various contract negotiation mechanisms (signing bonuses, etc). I think he's worth money, but not top 10 DT money. Mostly due to production and the fact that the Bills run a platoon style defensive line so you gotta be able to spread the money around to 8 guys instead of 4.

9 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

They tried that in the preseason and it didn't work out.

I mean on like 3 or 4 snaps. I don't think he is a defensive end. He is a 3 tech. But it is a a point that in pre-season they used some really funky pass rush formations with Ed kinda of at a 7 tech and AJE inside stood up next to Harrison at the 3 etc and we have seen almost none of that since the season started. I wonder whether we ever will see it in a regular season game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.