What are your thoughts on Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he’s a very good run defender but a below average pass rusher.  When we drafted him, I thought it would have been opposite.

Even after today? He’s a penetrator, either way. Run or pass. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he’s a very good run defender but a below average pass rusher.  When we drafted him, I thought it would have been opposite.

Fair point at some point but still after today? He was great on pass rush. Is this Ed Oliver becoming the Ed we wanted or just an outlier performance? I don't want him on another team right now that's for sure, I think he's played beyond Shaq Lawson for example

• Like (+1) 1

I won't take back what I said earlier because there are too many games where he just disappears.

I also predicted he would have a breakout game today against Miami. He shows flashes from time-to-time of the game changer he can be.

If he can develop his game where he brings that intensity and consistency each week, then he will justify where he was taken.

He had a great game today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

I won't take back what I said earlier because there are too many games where he just disappears.

I also predicted he would have a breakout game today against Miami. He shows flashes from time-to-time of the game changer he can be.

If he can develop his game where he brings that intensity and consistency each week, then he will justify where he was taken.

He had a great game today.

I agree with you.  Oliver played a great game.  Now he needs to build off his solid performance versus Miami.  He’s flashes before but hasn’t been able to put together a string of games.  Let’s hope we see that next 

8 hours ago, Nelius said:

Fair point at some point but still after today? He was great on pass rush. Is this Ed Oliver becoming the Ed we wanted or just an outlier performance? I don't want him on another team right now that's for sure, I think he's played beyond Shaq Lawson for example

He's blossoming now, especially for people who know DL play and not just number of sacks etc. He's on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl caliber player-perhaps even this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He was outstanding yesterday. Might have been his best game as a pro. The question still is consistency. He needs to put a run of games at that level together to justify a top 10 pick. He is a good player though, anyone who calls him average or non-impactful or anything like that is just plain wrong. If the argument is he hasn't performed at top 10 pick level however then I think that is correct.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Finally someone on the bills staff said Hey!! This guy is not Pat Williams, he is in the mold of a John Randle, gets throw the gaps with speed and causing guards and centers to be uncomfortable because of his speed off the ball and I believe was a key reason the bills won yesterday because of Ed quickness off the ball caused the dolphins to fumble right before the half.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Finally someone on the bills staff said Hey!! This guy is not Pat Williams, he is in the mold of a John Randle, gets throw the gaps with speed and causing guards and centers to be uncomfortable because of his speed off the ball and I believe was a key reason the bills won yesterday because of Ed quickness off the ball caused the dolphins to fumble right before the half.

He needs to shoot the gaps more often. He did that in the beginning of the game yesterday and he was dominant. He really likes to play heads up with a lineman and beat him like that instead of using his quickness and power to just blow by them and shrug them off if they get a hand on him. I think some of it is scheme/coaching tho. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

On 10/19/2021 at 10:02 PM, JohnNord said:

Overall, I’m a little disappointed with what we’ve seen from Ed Oliver.   Last year, some had theorized that his lack of production was the result of not having a true 1TDT to take on blockers.   Well Star is back and is having his best season with the Bills, yet Oliver still hasn’t made much more of an impact.  

He hasn’t been bad necessarily and can make an occasional splash play.  But he also seems to be a non-factor for long stretches of game and has provided little in terms of a pass rush.  It seems to me that he doesn’t win his matchup enough.  The word on Oliver is that you can take him out of a play completely with a double team.  

At this point, if I’m Brandon Beane, I definitely wouldn’t  pick up his option this off-season, unless Ed takes his game to another level this year.   I feel that you can match Oliver’s production with a younger player or a veteran that will sign for a much cheaper deal than what it would take to keep Oliver in town.  

Would you pick up Oliver’s option after this season?

Disruptive, he has been very good this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.