What are your thoughts on Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

I think Oliver has been fine, but he's really the epitome of what I think is wrong with this defense and why we won't win a SB with this group.

There are no true star players on defense and a collection of mostly good players/role player types.

In Olivers case he's simply not big enough in the trenches to be a consistent impact player and better suited to play DE in a 3-4 IMO where I think he could live up to his pre draft hype as a pass rush threat.

I feel he's to small for the position although he is shoeing up more with Star in the line up .

I have always wanted to see them at least try him as a D end because they say he has a great first step and his size is a bit more to the size of a D end but what do i know ? 

• Disagree 1

I think some people are setting up their whipping boy narrative for this year. It's just not the same without one.

Considering we need to think about Star's eventual replacement, we should pick up the option on Ed and draft a 1t dt. JMO

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, gobills404 said:

He's been great against the run for the most part this year but he's still so incredibly underwhelming as a pass rusher for a 3T with such rare athleticism.

Good points.  He was the 9th pick in the draft I believe in 2019.  Thought he would be the next Kyle Williams, who was a 5th round pick out of LSU in the SEC.  Kyle had an amazing first step off the line and was real strong.  In his prime he was as good a DT as anyone in the league.  Ed obviously has not played to that level.  But I don't think he is as big or as quick as Kyle was.  (Don't think Oliver's athleticism is as good as was advertised.  Because playing defense in the American Conference is not playing defense in the SEC)  He still has some game, which hopefully continue to develop taking him to the next level.  

I thought Harrison Phillips was a force on Monday Nite speaking of interior D Lineman.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Anyone think Ed Oliver could be a surprise trade candidate before the deadline?  

If he can bring back a quality IOL or CB, I'd think we have to entertain it, no?

They aren’t going to trade anyone on the team and a member of the DL is highly unlikely.  If there’s a deal that makes sense, I can see Beane dealing a mid to possibly a high draft for an impact player.  If there’s anything we know about BB though, he’s not going to overreach 

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think Oliver has been fine, but he's really the epitome of what I think is wrong with this defense and why we won't win a SB with this group.

There are no true star players on defense and a collection of mostly good players/role player types.

In Olivers case he's simply not big enough in the trenches to be a consistent impact player and better suited to play DE in a 3-4 IMO where I think he could live up to his pre draft hype as a pass rush threat.

Oliver doesn't have the size or length to be a true 5 technique in a 34 .. true five techniques are 6'5 295+ lb types like JJ watt or Calais Campbell

Nor is he a two Gap defensive lineman in the NFL

Edited by Buffalo716

Ed having his best season yet.  Wish he had an inch and 20lbs on him, he's strong as hell and can penetrate but I'd say in a redraft he's a mid 2nd rounder ish.

Also remember he plays a position that doesnt get a lot of big plays.  Leslie and McD gave Ed more snaps than any D lineman last week, they like the kid.

I think Ed is a really talented player and he hasn't put it together yet/might never do so. I thought we drafted a very rare talent that would consistently crash the pocket with his get off, strength, and size. Almost like a John Randle. Very lofty expectations, too lofty, but he was regarded as a potential number one overall pick. He just went through a lot his last year at Houston not getting the freedom he wanted to rush, arguing with his HC. It led to him being available for us and I loved the pick. He just hasn't become a dominating player yet and I think we will have to look at it long and hard in the offseason depending on what money is being demanded and additional players we need to sign. I kind of look at him somewhat similar to Shaq Lawson as far as his performance and value. A good player for us, but one we likely can move on from if required. 

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.