What are your thoughts on Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

21 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

A top-10 pick and we're probably not going to pick up his option? That definitely sounds like a bust to me.

I don't think a guy who has been a starter basically since week 4 of his rookie year can be a bust. Cody Ford who struggled to win a starting job then has lost two of them (first RT then RG) is a bust. Ed hasn't lived up to his draft stock, sure. But he has been a good player for the Bills and has started for 3 seasons (and will start for a 4th even if we don't pick up the option). 

1 minute ago, Mr. K said:

If he flashes on another team we've got another Wyatt Teller... hey, its the bye week

If the Bills decide to let Ed walk after next year I think it is very likely he eventually has a great year somewhere else. I still feel like he is so close to putting it all together. The Bills can't wait forever, that is a fact, but wouldn't shock me if he ends up having an all-pro type season in another uniform. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it is very touch and go. He is inconsistent still even within games. We saw it again on Monday night. He blew up a third down play early on and forced a throw away and then there was a series second half where he made plays but I don't see the consistency that you'd like. He is super talented. I still feel like at some point it will click and he will have a monster year somewhere. 

I feel like he's the type of player that is hurt by being a rotational guy. Ed plays with a ton of emotion. A lot of his splash plays are at the start of a game or start of a half. 

Rotating through may just be hard for him to keep in the flow of the game and keep his high level intensity rolling. 

He’s not living up to the hype but Bills DLine rotates so much you gotta think about if it stalls some of the development of young guys. We got two second round picks that inactive a lot.  Seems like our whole line shows flashes. 

No one is great upfront just a lot of solid guys. 

Edited by BananaB

24 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I feel like he's the type of player that is hurt by being a rotational guy. Ed plays with a ton of emotion. A lot of his splash plays are at the start of a game or start of a half. 

Rotating through may just be hard for him to keep in the flow of the game and keep his high level intensity rolling. 

It is a fair point. Just compare Jeffrey Simmons to Ed Oliver for a second. Simmons played 75% of the Titans defensive snaps in 2020 (and is running at 86% so far this year). Ed played 54% of the Bills defensive snaps in 2020 and is running this year slightly up at 58%. Production wise in 2020 they had the same number of sacks and Simmons had 5 more pressures. 

The rotation is definitely what the Bills believe in but there is a question mark around whether they are really letting their guys settle with a consistent front 4 that learns and knows how to play off one another. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills decide to let Ed walk after next year I think it is very likely he eventually has a great year somewhere else. I still feel like he is so close to putting it all together. The Bills can't wait forever, that is a fact, but wouldn't shock me if he ends up having an all-pro type season in another uniform

Like this?

Patriots.png

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think a guy who has been a starter basically since week 4 of his rookie year can be a bust. Cody Ford who struggled to win a starting job then has lost two of them (first RT then RG) is a bust. Ed hasn't lived up to his draft stock, sure. But he has been a good player for the Bills and has started for 3 seasons (and will start for a 4th even if we don't pick up the option). 

If the Bills decide to let Ed walk after next year I think it is very likely he eventually has a great year somewhere else. I still feel like he is so close to putting it all together. The Bills can't wait forever, that is a fact, but wouldn't shock me if he ends up having an all-pro type season in another uniform. 

It wouldn't shock me either. He seems to have everything in the tool box. He just can't seem get it all together at once. I like Ed, would love to see him blossom in the remaining games, and wish him the best in his career. However I dont know that he gets a second deal from the Bills. He is good but I don't think moving on from him after his deal hurts the McProcess. We will see how Boogie plays....

2 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

It wouldn't shock me either. He seems to have everything in the tool box. He just can't seem get it all together at once. I like Ed, would love to see him blossom in the remaining games, and wish him the best in his career. However I dont know that he gets a second deal from the Bills. He is good but I don't think moving on from him after his deal hurts the McProcess. We will see how Boogie plays....

I think his 5th year option is very much touch and go as I said above. I doubt Beane has made his mind up either way right now. Ed has 11 games and playoffs left to make his case. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The problem with the 5th year option is it basically tethers a guy’s 1st round draft status to him for his whole career. The 5th year option number becomes the starting point for an extension and if a team declines the option, very rarely does a player re-sign with the team.  

This is absolutely right. It is a tough spot when you have a 1st rounder you like but don't love. 

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a fair point. Just compare Jeffrey Simmons to Ed Oliver for a second. Simmons played 75% of the Titans defensive snaps in 2020 (and is running at 86% so far this year). Ed played 54% of the Bills defensive snaps in 2020 and is running this year slightly up at 58%. Production wise in 2020 they had the same number of sacks and Simmons had 5 more pressures. 

The rotation is definitely what the Bills believe in but there is a question mark around whether they are really letting their guys settle with a consistent front 4 that learns and knows how to play off one another. 

I think the best 4 should be getting more snaps.  No problem with a lesser rotation. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Anyone think Ed Oliver could be a surprise trade candidate before the deadline?  

If he can bring back a quality IOL or CB, I'd think we have to entertain it, no?

That would be interesting.  It’s also how the Pats operated during their dynasty.  Get something back for a guy you’re not gonna re-sign.  

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.