Boomers: Does Derrick Henry remind you of Cookie Gilchrist?

John Gianelli

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Maybe Bo Jackson to an extent as well.  

Jim Brown is before my time, but from video, yes.

Bo Jackson was the closest. Earl Campbell was different - low to the ground, huge thighs, not those long strides.

It's easy to say Henry will take a beating and wear down young, but will he? He inflicts far more punishment than he takes. I'm gonna guess that by the time he hangs it up we're looking at a Hall of Famer.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Other than Henry is a lot faster?

Listen to some of the testimonials on YouTube. Many former players say he was the best, or one of the best, football players they'd ever seen. They talk about his combination of size and speed. Derrick Henry's times for the 40 at the combine were 4.52 and 4.54. Cookie ran the 40 in 4.6. Henry may be faster, but not a lot faster.

• Like (+1) 1

Cookie was 6-2 at least 250, never played college ball.  Saw him run for 243 yards [5 TD's] in the Rockpile in 1963 on muddy field with puddles.  Cookie was also the placekicker at times, and played two ways in Canada.  He was bigger than most of the D-Lineman of that era. Jim Brown was a gifted multi-sport athlete, Football, basketball, lacrosse, track & field.  Played hoops, lax and ran track at 'cuse. Finished 5th in the 1955 AAU decathlon.  Actually had to change the rules in Lacrosse because of him, when he pinned the ball to his chest, impossible to get it away from him.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Sweats said:

King is the 2nd coming of Jim Brown.....aggressive with monster break away speed.

Exactly.  He runs very much the same way.  I've noticed it for years.  Even down to being pretty emotionless as he plays.  The stiff arm - Brown was masterful. It's all there. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Exactly.  He runs very much the same way.  I've noticed it for years.  Even down to being pretty emotionless as he plays.  The stiff arm - Brown was masterful. It's all there. 

Belichick [Cleveland native] told Sports Illustrated that Brown ran a 4.5 40 in pads from a 3 point, [not moving] stance in 1958.  Brown was also a great receiver out of the backfield on swings and screens.  Cleveland was the Buffalo TV team for the NFL.

Edited by BearNorth

1 hour ago, John Gianelli said:

Listen to some of the testimonials on YouTube. Many former players say he was the best, or one of the best, football players they'd ever seen. They talk about his combination of size and speed. Derrick Henry's times for the 40 at the combine were 4.52 and 4.54. Cookie ran the 40 in 4.6. Henry may be faster, but not a lot faster.

Henry certainly was a lot faster than his combine time when he set the highest speed this year at 21.8 MPH on that long TD run.

Cookie's career was messed up, missing out on college ball because he was tricked into signing a semi-pro baseball contract.  With better coaching and today's training, he would have been just as good as Henry and even (forgive me my sins) Jim Brown.  But he was what he was.  And he didn't play that long after the Bills traded him to Denver.  

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 1

On the 76 yard run, he was hit once from the side, by a DB engaged/[?held?] by a blocker.

On the 3 yard run Obada whiffed at the 2. [Should he even be playing pff grade is 36.8]

On the 13 yard run it was blocked well on the LOS and Hyde tried to tackle from the side after Henry was rolling and was laughably ineffective.

No way to stop this guy unless you are squared to him, and prepared to be punished.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.