What happened to our red zone O?

JerseyBills

Bills oline doesn't run block well enough. Bills let Lee Smith go who was an excellent run blocker on the edge. They aren't running Josh enough in the red-zone. They don't have a physically dominant WR that can out jump the defenders.

They can still be effective and I think they will. Run Josh more like he did against KC and it will open up the pass.  Once he starts running a few QB sweeps the defense will collapse on him and open up guys in the endzone

15 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

We were the best in the game last year and now we're terrible.  We can move the ball with ease down the field but can't do anything inside the 10.  We have no real running threat down there and should just spread em out n throw. 

We were 12th in the league last year. We are 6 percent worse at scoring touchdowns this year, or about one in 16 possessions.

• Like (+1) 1

Lee Smith isn't here who was a great blocker and also did some damage in the red zone. Lack of a consistent running game hurts too. Also with McKenzie being more of a return man we haven't seen him in the offense as much this season. There isn't any single reason that said we're still scoring 30 plus points a week which is no small feat. We have a very good team, yes we can improve but most games are won/lost on a few plays and sadly for us they've happened due to rare circumstances and not overly worried. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Good points. I think both can be true.  Because our offense is such a handful we get into the red zone a lot.  But once there we don't take full advantage of the opportunity's because we have fundamental deficiencies on offense. 

But ultimately the offense had 31 points, over 400 yards and only one TO.  You should win games when those kind of numbers are put up. We're complaining about the offense not being perfect in the RZ while ignoring the real reason we lost last night - poor defensive play. 

I think obsessing over the offense is a classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Had the defense got the Titans off the field a couple of more times that would have meant at least 2 more possessions and likely 3 - 7 more points.  Then at the end at most we need is a FG to win the game.

So would I. The most discouraging thing is that even when the D is not playing the run on 1st down our O-line and RB's can rarely exploit it for big gains.  To often what should have been 6 or 7 yard gains turn out to be 2 yard gains.

On almost every big run by a RB this season they have run through gaping holes, not made anyone miss or break a tackle. In fact Motors 14 yard run in the 1st quarter was the first time this season I saw a Bill's RB make something out of nothing. 

Sure the D sucked Monday, but all year, the O has been among the worst in the Red Zone coming away with 7 (55%).  This manifested as a major problem Monday (40%).

I almost think we (Daboll and McD) are taking a Belichickian approach of using the first half of the season to develop and experiment with different packages and approaches.  We are absolutely trying to work the traditional RB run game more often in the red zone and so far that hasn't been working out.  Hopefully, that improves or at least sets up some important plays later in the season or in the playoffs. 

Last year we were great because we just spread everyone out and Josh could "just be Josh".  Obviously, I wish we would have done that on the final play on Monday night.  I was thinking something like the chest pass to Knox in the Indy playoff game.

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't think Josh is the greatest of fade throwers, which affects the production. That said, he threw a great corner route to Diggs in the EZ which was defended (and there was a false start on the play anyway by Long).

The fade is the worst play ever conceived.  

21 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

We were the best in the game last year and now we're terrible.  We can move the ball with ease down the field but can't do anything inside the 10.  We have no real running threat down there and should just spread em out n throw. 

This has been going on all year but our D was playing outta their minds so it hasn't been a hot topic.  

We were 2 of 5 today , our 3 misses got us 6 points. Wish we could run it in like every other team but that looks like our 1 weakness on O.

So how do we fix this ? If we want that Lombardi,  this is unacceptable,  it won't happen if we don't fix the RZ issues , I mean how do you go from the best RZ team to one of the worse??

Its simple if you ask me.   We have been good the last couple years because if Josh running ability.  He either moved and caused people to uncover or ran it in.  This year they are keying in on him running and have 0 respect for our running backs.  

We need to run the damn ball down there with someone other than Josh. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because no one respects our run game. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.