Whitney Mercilus, DE, released by Texans

RyanC883

8 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Why is Houston cutting him ?

I like Hughes, but at his age he can no longer shake off the holding he faces on every play. Opposing Tackles know they can hold him and won't get flagged.

Another team probably already has a deal in place with him and that teams owner threw the Houston owner a couple hundred K to let him go.  

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Another team probably already has a deal in place with him and that teams owner threw the Houston owner a couple hundred K to let him go.  

I believe the correct answer is, It's the Texans.

The Texans- the team that traded one of the best WRs in the game for a broken down RB who currently sits 3rd on the depth chart. Let JJ Watt walk. Are paying a top 10 NFL QB a huge salary with no plans to ever play him again.

In a few more years they'll probably post a HELP WANTED sign online to hire a new GM.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We already have 6 DE's. We're not bringing in a 7th that would have to get familiarized with the scheme and playbook midseason. And even if we were inclined to do it - why would he sign on to be part of a 7 man rotation when he'd surely get more playing time almost anywhere else?

Here is the scheme - run and get to the qb. Not a long lesson to learn. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Hughes is pretty much done and Addison is well....Addison.  I don't think signing him would hurt.  Hell I'd rather see Epenesa play than either of these two at this point.

McDermott chose to go with both of them last night over the younger guys (Epensa/Basham) and you have to wonder how long he's going to give these guys and their 1.5 combined sacks on the season a pass.

20 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Here is the scheme - run and get to the qb. Not a long lesson to learn. 

Yeah man, that's all a Defensive End does. Hand in the dirt and push forward. There's no symmetry with the DT's at all. No shifting inside or out. No scheming routes on run plays or Tight Ends. What's the point of playbooks, game plans, and Defensive coordinators? I mean, why even have practice or Training Camp for that position? 🙄

This is like saying Offensive Lineman just line up and block. You're completely oversimplifying and almost insulting what DE's and coaches do with that post. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

McDermott chose to go with both of them last night over the younger guys (Epensa/Basham) and you have to wonder how long he's going to give these guys and their 1.5 combined sacks on the season a pass.

At this point I go all in with the youngsters. Mario & Jerry are obvious liabilities. Dear Lord Mario gets posterized by Henry. Jerry has alienated every official in the league so he's a easy "no call" hold victim. 

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Why is Houston cutting him ?

I like Hughes, but at his age he can no longer shake off the holding he faces on every play. Opposing Tackles know they can hold him and won't get flagged.

He asked to be cut so he could go to a championship caliber team. I wouldn't mind if they traded him but cutting him makes me perturbed as it's not a good presidence if other plays start asking for the same thing.

26 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah man, that's all a Defensive End does. Hand in the dirt and push forward. There's no symmetry with the DT's at all. No shifting inside or out. No scheming routes on run plays or Tight Ends. What's the point of playbooks, game plans, and Defensive coordinators? I mean, why even have practice or Training Camp for that position? 🙄

This is like saying Offensive Lineman just line up and block. You're completely oversimplifying and almost insulting what DE's and coaches do with that post. 

Obviously there is but of any position it may be the easiest to pick up mid season. These guys have been running schemes for years and know how to shift, stunt, twist, etc. May take a couple weeks - bye week is perfect time. But he can be up to speed fast enough. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Do we really want a DE with a girl's name?

When I lived in Houston, I got on the plane with my wife and Whitney and his SO.

I wanted to say, hey Whitney - then when he'd respond I was going to joke and say I thought that was your girl's name. Then as I got closer I saw he was only 6-7" taller and 100# heavier than me and decided to keep my joke to myself...

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

He's on the wrong side of 30 and probably doesn't make a ton of sense for a team with our D-line depth and a front office that doesn't make knee-jerk reactions.

His off the field persona is exemplary, however. He's a pillar of the community in every sense of the phrase - providing advocacy and support to families of special needs children and has established multiple charitable foundations. It's a much bigger loss for the city of Houston than the team. Not sure if that moves the needle at all, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think they are very invested in keeping the young players,  and rookies in particular,  fresh for late in the season.   If this is a SB run......it's less than 1/3 of the way into the season.  They aren't used to playing a full NFL season so perhaps that's the reasoning.   Guys like Addison and Hughes are used to playing long seasons.

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

He went with them all last year with next to no production.  

Maybe Terry can hire an external FO guy who only handles DL and IOL, because that seems to be this staffs blind spots. (Rousseau potential aside). 

Keep in mind that Mercilus couldn’t crack the starting lineup for the Houston Texans - one of the worst defensive teams in the NFL.  

The Bills signing Mercilus is a move that would look bigger on paper than it would on the field - kind of like signing Kenny Stills to the PS last season

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.