Are we getting spoiled by how good Allen is?

78thealltimegreat

Anybody notice the announcers have this weird obsession with Daboll? If Allen makes any good play, it's a credit to Daboll. If Allen makes a mistake, it's on Allen.

What's up with that? Is he so good he's disrupting some sort of matrix? Or are people such zombies they stick to their opinions rain, sleet, or snow for years? 

"Allen had Sanders wide open in the end zone! How could he miss that?!". (While he's running for his life)

"Allen had the easiest TD of his life to Beasley there. Easiest throw of his career". (While 4 guys chasing and on the run firing a perfectly accurate missile to go ahead in a game against a playoff team on the road before half during primetime). 

I want to say it's comedic, but I feel like Allen is exposing something about human nature. I just can't figure out what it is. And why can't everybody get behind the most talented to QB we might ever have seen in the NFL? No stories about his arm strength? His hurdling? His velocity? Don't national fans love hearing about that kind of stuff? Why is Daboll the better story? 

• Like (+1) 1

You can say the guy had a bad game without being spoiled. Stats dont mean jack.

He had 47 passing attempts, he better have decent yards. Compared to only 13 true rushing attempts by the Offense.

Spoiled would be calling to cut him after one bad game. I'm still rolling with him as my MVP and soon-to-be Super Bowl champ. Doesnt mean I cant say he was not comfortable and had an off night in a close loss.

I will say Bills fans have become a little spoiled in general this year. Folks at halftime were sounding like the team was a disaster when really, we have been blowing teams out so badly, we forgot what it was like to be in a good ol dog fight of a game. I was still confident we'd be in it at the end, and we were.

Oh well, lots for the team to look at over the Bye. Josh's performance is part of that.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

The Bills play in a division with Moe, Larry, and Curly. I know its only 6 weeks in but both the Bills and Cowboys(same reason as the Bills) have clinched playoff spots already. Unless injuries or covid hits you might as well put that little "y" next to their name in the paper that says "clinched division".

I would say the Titans too.

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Half the board blaming him for a loss in which he was responsible for 4 touchdowns and threw for over 350 yards…man how far we’ve come since arguing on here if it’s time to start Jeff Tuel 

Yes and no…. In the case of the game last night, I don’t think you can blame Allen for not converting the 2 RZ touchdowns, when he kept putting points on the board.  The defense was the main issue.  

I do think there are times in the past where Allen played subpar and fans were overly protective of him.  

To your point, Allen looks to be the real deal, as long as that happens, the Bills are going to compete every year. 

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yes and no…. In the case of the game last night, I don’t think you can blame Allen for not converting the 2 RZ touchdowns, when he kept putting points on the board.  The defense was the main issue.  

I do think there are times in the past where Allen played subpar and fans were overly protective of him.  

To your point, Allen looks to be the real deal, as long as that happens, the Bills are going to compete every year. 

When the offense puts up 31 points, you’d expect to win most of those games. Let’s hope we beat the teams we should beat before meeting the Bucs  in December, then see how we do against a legit SB contender. If we drop another game before then, I won’t hang my head. This is the NFL. 

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You can say the guy had a bad game without being spoiled. Stats dont mean jack.

He had 47 passing attempts, he better have decent yards. Compared to only 13 true rushing attempts by the Offense.

Spoiled would be calling to cut him after one bad game. I'm still rolling with him as my MVP and soon-to-be Super Bowl champ. Doesnt mean I cant say he was not comfortable and had an off night in a close loss.

I will say Bills fans have become a little spoiled in general this year. Folks at halftime were sounding like the team was a disaster when really, we have been blowing teams out so badly, we forgot what it was like to be in a good ol dog fight of a game. I was still confident we'd be in it at the end, and we were.

Oh well, lots for the team to look at over the Bye. Josh's performance is part of that.

You think he had an off night? 

• Haha (+1) 2

I think we are spoiled by QB play across the NFL. 5 years ago Allen's play right now would be bar none the best in the league. This year there are more than 5 QBs that are playing at an elite level. That makes what he's doing seem less impressive. Personally after watching 20 years of just awful QB play I am not going to nitpick him. He had one truly bad drive last night but the TDs he singlehandedly carries us to more than makes up for it.

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

When the offense puts up 31 points, you’d expect to win most of those games. Let’s hope we beat the teams we should beat before meeting the Bucs  in December, then see how we do against a legit SB contender. If we drop another game before then, I won’t hang my head. This is the NFL. 

This is especially true when playing a ball control running team like the Titans.  I get that against Arizona or KC 31 points might not be enough but against teams like the Titans or Indy it should be more then enough.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think we are spoiled by QB play across the NFL. 5 years ago Allen's play right now would be bar none the best in the league. This year there are more than 5 QBs that are playing at an elite level. That makes what he's doing seem less impressive. Personally after watching 20 years of just awful QB play I am not going to nitpick him. He had one truly bad drive last night but the TDs he singlehandedly carries us to more than makes up for it.

I guess I don’t know what people want…he completed 75% of his throws, if he had finished the drive everyone keeps referring to it would have been like 400+yards, over 80% completion, likely 4TDs…is that now our threshold of acceptability somehow?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I guess I don’t know what people want…he completed 75% of his throws, if he had finished the drive everyone keeps referring to it would have been like 400+yards, over 80% completion, likely 4TDs…is that now our threshold of acceptability somehow?

Anyone remember when a 300 yard game might have led to thousands of people at the airport at 2:00am and a parade?   :)

He tried to do too much late. You can coach that down, but it’s hard to fix a guy who is afraid to throw a ball down the field or doesn’t have the arm to make it work. 

Edited by Augie

For me looked more comfortable and poised last night than I've ever seen. His decision making is also better than ever, and he makes it look oh so easy. All while covering up for a mediocre offensive line and RBs ,and a defense that looked like swiss cheese. I don't get the people who think he looked anything other than smooth ,decisive, confident and under control last night.

Most people know the window is open “Now”.  next season is an entirely new deal and the team as a whole may not be as good. So i can see why fans are being fanatical about Josh, etc.  Get the home field and win this thing. This Year.

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's just that his stat line last night is no longer rare. Top tier QBs are expected to do that regularly against bad pass defenses. I'm not disagreeing with you though. One bad drive and a couple missed passes does not mean he is to blame for the loss.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.