Attention To Detail

pocoboy

Everything came up the way you wanted it at the end of that game. Well, almost everything.

This was a foreseeable game. Big win last weekend. Titans team that's specialized and seemingly feast (last night) or famine (Jets game). To have a little let-down is not shocking, especially on defense as you feel like you have Tannehill's number most of the time.

But even through struggles, you still have the chance you need. In a shootout, grabbing the lead on a late score may be your best chance, as the defense had few 2nd half answers (though I'd suspect they'd be better in 2 minute defense as the threat of TEN running would be lessened).

The trouble - that sneak. And the other one. There just seems to be some level of "guarantee" believed to these plays. It's easy to understand. It also leaves you wondering if it's being treated a tad nonchalantly (whether by Josh or by the coordinators).

Maybe it's just a great guess by the TEN defense and they just happened to shoot the gap Allen needed to hit. Just looked rushed & nervous, and possibly even a mistake. He takes his step towards that gap, and he may have realized that it was intended the other way (Morse & Williams partly caved that side of the line) and slipped as he knew he was going to get smashed.

You hate to lose. But their two losses this season have great learnings. You need to string wins against good teams in the playoffs, and this was a chance to do that (in what may be the meatiest part of the sked). Their inability to do so should register in their minds heading to a longer break until MIA.

• Like (+1) 1

Everything seemed rushed to me.  

The run out of bounds, I thought he made it, the replay was hard to follow, there was no review which surprised me.  

The 4th down play started with shotgun, then under center.  I think this may have helped Tennessee, they had to play the sneak. 

The blocking on the left side was not there.  

Allen went left and slipped on his own - that may have been because the o-line collapsed.  ? 

Vrabel never stopped the clock so he was playing to defend the 3 points or force a tie and OT.  They made the big play, we didn’t. 

• Like (+1) 3

On both sneak attempts Allen went left. On both tries the right side did their job. On the first one Allen looked like he was trying to fake inside and then rush outside like he did last week. On the last attempt he slipped. Even with the rush he may have made it if he could have kept his feet under him.

The lack of execution or precision is a direct result of being physically overmatched. Other than Allen, Tennessee is just bigger and stronger at almost every position. Our O-line got worked bad. Morse had one of the worst games of his Bills career. 

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Allen went left and slipped on his own - that may have been because the o-line collapsed.  ? 

Vrabel never stopped the clock so he was playing to defend the 3 points or force a tie and OT.  They made the big play, we didn’t. 

If you want to approach the slip from a physics standpoint, if he sees that side of the OL getting a poor jump on the snap, he may have gone low to try to advance under the defense. That angle of attack may be enough to compromise the traction needed to accelerate at that trajectory.

In my mind, whatever caused the OL to be late off the line is the issue.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The run out of bounds, I thought he made it, the replay was hard to follow, there was no review which surprised me.  

The 4th down play started with shotgun, then under center.  I think this may have helped Tennessee, they had to play the sneak. 

That’s how the game ended to me... rushed.   I get wanting to snap the ball before the defense can think.  But in that situation... one play is all you have.  Call the time out, catch your breath and run the play. 

I’m gonna have to rewatch the game just to see what exactly I missed!  

I still say kick the FG and take your chances in OT.  I know we hadn’t stopped them all 2nd half, but that gives you the best odds at winning.  

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

I still say kick the FG and take your chances in OT.  I know we hadn’t stopped them all 2nd half, but that gives you the best odds at winning.  

Your best chance to win that game is the sneak & timeout. You then get 1-2 chances to complete passes to the EZ to win, and then can still hit the chip shot to take your OT chances.

There is no good excuse for kicking the FG on 4th and inches. I'd prefer a shot to the EZ on 4th and in rather than the FG. For one thing, you're automatically behind the 8-ball based on a 50/50 coin flip. You lose that, and I don't have confidence our offense would get the ball.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

If you want to approach the slip from a physics standpoint, if he sees that side of the OL getting a poor jump on the snap, he may have gone low to try to advance under the defense. That angle of attack may be enough to compromise the traction needed to accelerate at that trajectory.

In my mind, whatever caused the OL to be late off the line is the issue.

Yep.  I didn’t know it was possible for a man as large as Dawkins to get thrown into the backfield like that on a run play.  Dude is not earning his money.  His body fat % gotta be well north of 20%.  

12 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Your best chance to win that game is the sneak & timeout. You then get 1-2 chances to complete passes to the EZ to win, and then can still hit the chip shot to take your OT chances.

There is no good excuse for kicking the FG on 4th and inches. I'd prefer a shot to the EZ on 4th and in rather than the FG. For one thing, you're automatically behind the 8-ball based on a 50/50 coin flip. You lose that, and I don't have confidence our offense would get the ball.

I don’t know.  Titans stuffed Josh on exact same play on the goal line in the 1st half.  I like going for it.  Don’t like the play call.  Should’ve treated it more like going for 2 to win game.  And you got added benefit if you roll Josh out that he doesn’t even have to get in end zone.  Titans stuffed the same play and did it again.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

Everything came up the way you wanted it at the end of that game. Well, almost everything.

This was a foreseeable game. Big win last weekend. Titans team that's specialized and seemingly feast (last night) or famine (Jets game). To have a little let-down is not shocking, especially on defense as you feel like you have Tannehill's number most of the time.

But even through struggles, you still have the chance you need. In a shootout, grabbing the lead on a late score may be your best chance, as the defense had few 2nd half answers (though I'd suspect they'd be better in 2 minute defense as the threat of TEN running would be lessened).

The trouble - that sneak. And the other one. There just seems to be some level of "guarantee" believed to these plays. It's easy to understand. It also leaves you wondering if it's being treated a tad nonchalantly (whether by Josh or by the coordinators).

Maybe it's just a great guess by the TEN defense and they just happened to shoot the gap Allen needed to hit. Just looked rushed & nervous, and possibly even a mistake. He takes his step towards that gap, and he may have realized that it was intended the other way (Morse & Williams partly caved that side of the line) and slipped as he knew he was going to get smashed.

You hate to lose. But their two losses this season have great learnings. You need to string wins against good teams in the playoffs, and this was a chance to do that (in what may be the meatiest part of the sked). Their inability to do so should register in their minds heading to a longer break until MIA.

Allen changed the play to a sneak McD said postgame...said Allen has the ability to go to that if he thinks he sees something and he is fine with him doing it.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t know.  Titans stuffed Josh on exact same play on the goal line in the 1st half.  I like going for it.  Don’t like the play call.  Should’ve treated it more like going for 2 to win game.  And you got added benefit if you roll Josh out that he doesn’t even have to get in end zone.  Titans stuffed the same play and did it again.  

I would have liked to see the fake sneak jump pass to Davis like in the Seattle game last year

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

On both sneak attempts Allen went left. On both tries the right side did their job. On the first one Allen looked like he was trying to fake inside and then rush outside like he did last week. On the last attempt he slipped. Even with the rush he may have made it if he could have kept his feet under him.

The lack of execution or precision is a direct result of being physically overmatched. Other than Allen, Tennessee is just bigger and stronger at almost every position. Our O-line got worked bad. Morse had one of the worst games of his Bills career. 

it looked like the gap on the defense was on the right...there was space between the DT and the DE on that side that Allen could have likely easily gotten the yardage he needed since they wouldn't have been able to close that quick enough.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen changed the play to a sneak McD said postgame...said Allen has the ability to go to that if he thinks he sees something and he is fine with him doing it.

I would have liked to see the fake sneak jump pass to Davis like in the Seattle game last year

it looked like the gap on the defense was on the right...there was space between the DT and the DE on that side that Allen could have likely easily gotten the yardage he needed since they wouldn't have been able to close that quick enough.

Agreed

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Thanks.  I haven't watched any post game pressers yet.  When the play was happening in real time last night I was looking at the alignments

and hoping Josh would change out of a sneak (it's what I was expecting the play to be).  Learning moment for Josh.

Daboll should bring in a few options for the checkout (he already may have some) for the future.

The old cliché "it's a game of inches" was so true so many times last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks.  I haven't watched any post game pressers yet.  When the play was happening in real time last night I was looking at the alignments

and hoping Josh would change out of a sneak (it's what I was expecting the play to be).  Learning moment for Josh.

Daboll should bring in a few options for the checkout (he already may have some) for the future.

The old cliché "it's a game of inches" was so true so many times last night. 

I initially thought the play before was a first down, the refs signalled first down and then apparently the booth reversed the call and told them to spot it short per McD

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, pocoboy said:

I was in the stadium, and the vibe and energy i felt in that place dictated a FG.  and i told the people i was with, just kick it and get to OT. Don’t screw around.  The Titans fans were whipped into a frenzy and you just felt we were going to be pushed back. I don’t care about analytics. McD needed to have a feel there. It’s not like we are Alabama going against Vanderbilt here and Buf will impose their will. I thought it was an arrogant decision and if the Bills fail to earn home field we can look back to this decision.  Sometimes the way NFL decisions have been made for years (kicking it) are done that way because it’s the better way to go.

This loss was really tough to take, but be thankful this was NOT a playoff game and it didn't end our season.

It's only week 6.  

We still have a ridiculously easy schedule and a really good team.

We should be looking strong at the end of the year, and losses of this type hopefully make the team better come playoff time, as we learn from mistakes made.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

I was in the stadium, and the vibe and energy i felt in that place dictated a FG.  and i told the people i was with, just kick it and get to OT. Don’t screw around.  The Titans fans were whipped into a frenzy and you just felt we were going to be pushed back. I don’t care about analytics. McD needed to have a feel there. It’s not like we are Alabama going against Vanderbilt here and Buf will impose their will. I thought it was an arrogant decision and if the Bills fail to earn home field we can look back to this decision.  Sometimes the way NFL decisions have been made for years (kicking it) are done that way because it’s the better way to go.

In your opinion, what percentage of the crowd was pro Bills?

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This loss was really tough to take, but be thankful this was NOT a playoff game and it didn't end our season.

It's only week 6.  

We still have a ridiculously easy schedule and a really good team.

We should be looking strong at the end of the year, and losses of this type hopefully make the team better come playoff time, as we learn from mistakes made.

In your opinion, what percentage of the crowd was pro Bills?

Walking to the stadium it felt like a 50/50 split because every Bills fan wears the team colors.

But when the place was full and those big moments came for Tennessee fans to make noise you could tell it was maybe 35%-40% Bills fans.  which is still 25,000+ Buffalo fans and a ridiculous number for a road game.

I was talking to a Tenn season ticket holder and he said the only other time he’s ever seen anything like it was when New England was great. They’d bring a ton of fans.

6 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Hindsight is 20/20— but using a timeout there would have really been wise. Settle everything down; get into the right play call. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm curious if the QB sneak was the call the whole time or if Daboll called that with a pass plays letting Josh make the call it the line with what he saw the defense show. Titans only had 4 down linemen. That would have been the correct read on Allen's part.

My only questions on the run is why you would aim for their best DL player on Simmons who is being blocked by a weak player in Feliciano who dropped 20lbs last offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Some shenanigans happened with the spot that I think our coaches took huge exception to and it threw everything off. officials signaled first down and then some magical force from above changed the call on the field without it being an official review.   I do think they ended up with a good spot though for the record but that is not how it shouldve happened and that really messed us up...guaranteed McDermott is furious he just doesn't want to make excuses.  If it was an official review even if the first down ruling was reversed we wouldve had more time to cook up a play. We really got screwed pretty hard but if you can't get a couple inches to pick up the first down you don't deserve to win so we have no business blaming the refs.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Hindsight is 20/20— but using a timeout there would have really been wise. Settle everything down; get into the right play call. 

I mean...how could we use a timeout... we only had two left right? And that wasn't a goal line play so the clock was going to be running if we got the first...that spot not getting reviewed really screwed us since they ruled it a first initially I'm surprised that's not getting talked about more 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

What I don't understand is, and maybe I just don't have enough football knowledge, but why are the bills so anti blitz? They seem to change things up offensively, but defensively, they never seem to adjust when they're struggling. Granted, the defense has been great up until last night, but to me when your run d and pass d are getting lit up, maybe start thinking outside the box 🤷

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.