Allen QB sneak success rate

The Firebaugh Kid

Often times, the Bills have used trick plays instead of sneaks... and well the OL is not that great at pushing people back. Still, I'm sure they get this at least 85% of the time. And IMO Josh "didn't slip" on his own, he ran into the opposing DL that wasn't blocked well enough! 

• Agree 1

I have yet to figure out how offensive linemen who outweigh their opponents by 30 or 40 pounds continually get pushed back on running plays. Either the strength coaches need to do their jobs, or the line coaches need to look for another job. I'm thinking the latter. Unfortunately,  McD wouldn't think of making changes that would make sense. 

23 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Anybody know what his career success rate is? I'm not sure how to find that information but I'm willing to bet the analysis of the situation and previous success rate dictated the decision to go for it. 

I can't remember one he was stopped on. Maybe one other time?

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I have yet to figure out how offensive linemen who outweigh their opponents by 30 or 40 pounds continually get pushed back on running plays. Either the strength coaches need to do their jobs, or the line coaches need to look for another job. I'm thinking the latter. Unfortunately,  McD wouldn't think of making changes that would make sense. 

Leverage. He who gets lower wins.

18 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Often times, the Bills have used trick plays instead of sneaks... and well the OL is not that great at pushing people back. Still, I'm sure they get this at least 85% of the time. And IMO Josh "didn't slip" on his own, he ran into the opposing DL that wasn't blocked well enough! 

said it in other threads but not sure how our scheme had mongo pushing right and then what appeared to be dawkins blocking a guy shading inside of him. And then josh going head to head with the most likely path he’d crash into without a bills jersey between them.

will be curious to see a reply today less frustrated but still think we may have flubbed some assignments unless he really shockingly fast got off on the snap or dawkins was sleeping 

But it seemed like weird handoffs of assignments were happening with mongo at times earlier in the game 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Anybody know what his career success rate is? I'm not sure how to find that information but I'm willing to bet the analysis of the situation and previous success rate dictated the decision to go for it. 

He was 13 for 14 on 4th and 1 sneaks going into last night. The only one he didn’t get was a muffed snap in the opener of 2019. 

Flukey deal last night. That play is about as automatic for Allen as there is in all of sports 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He was 13 for 14 on 4th and 1 sneaks going into last night. The only one he didn’t get was a muffed snap in the opener of 2019. 

Flukey deal last night. That play is about as automatic for Allen as there is in all of sports 

0-2 last night.  Should be automatic.  OL was abused all night last night and really was just flat-out embarrassing.  

• Like (+1) 1

I agree it was the right call to go for it.  Don't let the bad outcome cloud the decision making process.  If you go to OT you're a coinflip to win.  A QB sneak has well over a 50% success rate.

The only  things I would have done differently is not lined up in the shotgun first and had your FB in for the push. 

Edited by DasNootz

31 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Should not have called for a sneak. We needed a play that had a chance to result in a TD, not just a first down with only 20 seconds left.  Brain fart by Daboll/McDermott. Going for it absolutely the right call though.

20 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I think it is a FO issue not a coaching problem. 

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

0-2 last night.  Should be automatic.  OL was abused all night last night and really was just flat-out embarrassing.  

0-2? Am I forgetting the other one? 

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

Should not have called for a sneak. We needed a play that had a chance to result in a TD, not just a first down with only 20 seconds left.  Brain fart by Daboll/McDermott. Going for it absolutely the right call though.

Still had a T.O. Call was fine. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nfl/allen-bills-come-up-short-as-buffalo-coach-goes-for-win/2021/10/19/9585040e-309b-11ec-8036-7db255bff176_story.html

"But Allen had converted an NFL-best 24 quarterback sneaks for first downs since 2018"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Flukey play against an awful defense…. Blind squirrel finding a nut 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.