That was a BAD loss

RyanC883

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They should have played better and won.........the Bills are the better team........but that wasn't a bad loss...........it was one of just 3 road games on the entire schedule that looked like it would require an "A" effort to win.

The Pittsburgh game was a BAD loss........they had no business winning in Buffalo.

You'd mentioned the mid-season let-down McD always (not blaming him totally) has happen.  They had a rough 4 game stretch last year, losing in Tennessee, then in KC, followed by weak Jets and Pats wins last year and then went 8-1.   Not worried.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

You'd mentioned the mid-season let-down McD always (not blaming him totally) has happen.  They had a rough 4 game stretch last year, losing in Tennessee, then in KC, followed by weak Jets and Pats wins last year and then went 8-1.   Not worried.

yeah they've had a stretch in each season where it seemed like they were weary of the process..........but they rebounded to finish well.   

I think the defense just got worn down last night.   They were playing well early but they haven't played a lot of snaps in general this season so all that run blocking seemed to wear them down faster than you'd hope.    The Titans defense is physical.......but they are lousy.........it was really on the Bills offense to bury the Titans defense with a barrage of points early while the Bills D was still fresh.    But the Titans D held up in the red zone and that gave their offense an opportunity to wear on the Bills D.

Settling for too many field goals in the red zone is a common denominator in their last 3 losses.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

yeah they've had a stretch in each season where it seemed like they were weary of the process..........but they rebounded to finish well.   

I think the defense just got worn down last night.   They were playing well early but they haven't played a lot of snaps in general this season so all that run blocking seemed to wear them down faster than you'd hope.    The Titans defense is physical.......but they are lousy.........it was really on the Bills offense to bury the Titans defense with a barrage of points early while the Bills D was still fresh.    But the Titans D held up in the red zone and that gave their offense an opportunity to wear on the Bills D.

Settling for too many field goals in the red zone is a common denominator in their last 3 losses.

Yup. Part of it is a function of a running game that doesn't really work in the red zone if the runner isn't named Josh Allen and they're playing teams that are better than the Dolphins and Texans. I don't blame the backs; I place it on an interior o-line that's pretty talent-deprived in the run blocking game.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills are 26th in Red Zone offense this year (55%).  When a team relies on big plays to score TDs and can't punch it in from inside the 20, you get results like last night.

31 points? I agree with you that they should have scored even more last night... but 31 is nothing to scoff at.

The defense didn't do it's job. 

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

31 points? I agree with you that they should have scored even more last night... but 31 is nothing to scoff at.

The defense didn't do it's job. 

The Offense was desperately looking for a TD ant the very end of the game because they had 2 awful trips to the 5 yard line in the 1st half--including a 1st down at the 5.  2 FG.   You can't settle for 24 and 28 yard FGs (with a punt in between) to start the game.  

This game never should have been this close throughout.  Put them away early--they are one of the worst passing teams in the league.  Don't show them your belly by surrendering for FGs inside the 10.  

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Def looked like the D wore down, they had some pressure those first couple series, then that mostly went away.

Also, Tenn was physical all-around.  I'm not sure it was as much the Bills buying the hype, but maybe Tenn using the Bills hype to fuel a big Monday night game.

And yup, those RZ field goals proved to be the difference.  Bet they'll see a lot of RZ work when they're back at it...

:beer:

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills are 26th in Red Zone offense this year (55%).  When a team relies on big plays to score TDs and can't punch it in from inside the 20, you get results like last night.

Good thing we sometimes score from outside the RZ on occasion! :D

2 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Def looked like the D wore down, they had some pressure those first couple series, then that mostly went away.

Also, Tenn was physical all-around.  I'm not sure it was as much the Bills buying the hype, but maybe Tenn using the Bills hype to fuel a big Monday night game.

And yup, those RZ field goals proved to be the difference.  Bet they'll see a lot of RZ work when they're back at it...

:beer:

Good thing we sometimes score from outside the RZ on occasion! :D

lol

1 hour ago, Floydboy12 said:

Definitely a bad loss. Tennessee is riddled with injuries and still managed to out-tough the Bills. The Bills still don’t have the talent at critical positions they need to win a super bowl. 

Who does though? The bucs maybe? I think every team in the league has glaring weaknesses and nobody is really looking overly dominant 

We were literally one play away from not having any of these discussions.  Yeah I get it. Everyone has the right to discuss what went wrong w the game. But the takes towards our own players is disappointing.  We are a good team. Built to compete for years to come. Lost to the best RB on second away game in a row at the last second. Titans are a good team. Not sure I understand comments like our defense can’t stop anyone or our D are frauds or our D got exposed.  Show some faith.  They had 3 possessions in the second half. 2 TDS and a FG.  Oh well. Can’t shut out people every week.  Oh I know. Those teams sucked so it doesn’t mean anything. 

I didn't think it was a 'bad loss'. You could argue it was winnable for sure, but you have to give credit to the Titans D and Derrick Henry for making plays when they needed to. 

Also, the game before the bye week is arguably the best one of the season to lose. The team now has two weeks to stew over their disappointment and stay hungry, rather than pat themselves on the back and rest up. 

5 minutes ago, chongli said:

Assuming we win the division this year and Tennessee wins theirs, we will get to host them next season on our turf, so we will have a shot at redemption. Maybe sooner.

Just took a look at future NFL schedules and you are right we do get them at home if both teams win their division.

Home

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

AFC South*

Away

Baltimore Ravens

AFC West*

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Detroit Lions

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.