McDermott Has Evolved

Doc Brown

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no thanks.

After the tie we have a chance to win.

I don't think it was an awful decision, but I kick the field goal there every time.

We have a chance to win if we convert that play too. Our D couldn't stop them the last 5 drives. If they win the coin toss they most likely beat us. I liked the guts. Was just poor execution. Hit Beasley in the back of the endzone on that scramble and none of us are even talking about this, but we will live to see another day. Our division is *****, so the days of us counting AFC wins/loses to try and steal a wildcard shouldn't even be a thing. I would have loved the W, but its not going to derail the season. Go Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

He kicked two FGs in the first half when this team knew they had to score A LOT to win this game.

I just don't understand what the heck he was thinking at the end of the game.

Let's say you get the first down.  You are down to 18 seconds with left with no timeouts (Assuming he took the TO to stop the clock after the sneak).  With this teams inability to run and not being able to stop clock, what the heck were they going to do down there?  They weren't scoring a TD anyways, even if they got the sneak.  It was a horrible call.  If you were going for it, they should have went for the end zone.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

He may have evolved with being more aggressive, but his clock management at the end of games still sucks.  That was some of the worst.  He had timeouts, why not use at least one of them to get his team in order and calm down to run a good couple of plays.

I was OK with him going for it on 4th down.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

He may have evolved with being more aggressive, but his clock management at the end of games still sucks.  That was some of the worst.  He had timeouts, why not use at least one of them to get his team in order and calm down to run a good couple of plays.

I was OK with him going for it on 4th down.

Turn a tie/OT into a loss and bring 2 Time Outs home with you on the plane is now labeled as "gutsy"...

I agree...Also, can everybody stop fawning over Micah Hyde now.   He got his backside handed to him yesterday.   The book on the Bills is you have to smack them in the mouth and put Mcdermottt on tilt.  Pittsburgh and Tennessee both did it = to a  T.   

Oh ,  the D line is not getting home,

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no thanks.

After the tie we have a chance to win.

I don't think it was an awful decision, but I kick the field goal there every time.

After a tie you go home and wait for your next game.  A tie is not the same as a tied score before the end of the game.

With the 10 minute overtime, if each team stalls on one drive a tie is a significant possibility.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

We have a chance to win if we convert that play too. Our D couldn't stop them the last 5 drives. If they win the coin toss they most likely beat us. I liked the guts. Was just poor execution. Hit Beasley in the back of the endzone on that scramble and none of us are even talking about this, but we will live to see another day. Our division is *****, so the days of us counting AFC wins/loses to try and steal a wildcard shouldn't even be a thing. I would have loved the W, but its not going to derail the season. Go Bills!

I don't think anyone is concerned about making the playoffs. Most are concerned about getting the #1 seed, for good reason. With this schedule, we'll never have a better opportunity to get to the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

They weren't scoring a TD anyways, even if they got the sneak.  It was a horrible call.  If you were going for it, they should have went for the end zone.

What the hell? They would have literally had four pass plays from inside the 2 yard line. I kind of like their chances.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, badassgixxer05 said:

No, we have zero percent chance to win. His exact quote was that he "would rather lose that way than ". Again, "lose that way." After you've lost, you have zero chance. 

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I'd rather lose that way than go for the FG and then have a tie.

That's nuts, preferring aggressive losing to having a chance to win. So, no, I would have just about an infinite preference for having a tie with a chance to win than having a loss. I find it hard to imagine why anyone would not feel the same.

I don't think going for the sneak was a horrible call. But seeing how they lined up specifically to take away the sneak, they should have kicked the FG or at least tried another play. I would have, anyway.

I genuinely hate the whole "I liked the guts" thing. Guts means squat. Smart is much much better. It takes real guts to take off your helmet and run into a brick wall head first time and time again. Guts. Aggressiveness. Courage. And complete insanity and stupidity. 

It's much much better to judge whether to do something based on how smart it is than how much guts it would take.

Hopefully you're right that it won't derail the season. It seems that way to me too.

Oh, and Beasley wasn't open in the end zone till after Josh crossed the line of scrimmage. That's why he was alone, the Titans all came running up after he crossed it. You can see it on the broadcast angle (I went back and looked on nflgamepass. When Josh crosses the LOS, Beasley is about to cross the goal line and he's covered.) When Josh crosses the LOS, Beasley is in the frame.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I'll stand with the decision to go for it all day.  

Agree. I don't actually think coach had much of a choice. What message does it communicate when you take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands in a situation like that. Would signal a total lack of confidence in your centerpiece player.

57 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't think anyone is concerned about making the playoffs. Most are concerned about getting the #1 seed, for good reason. With this schedule, we'll never have a better opportunity to get to the Super Bowl.

What the hell? They would have literally had four pass plays from inside the 2 yard line. I kind of like their chances.

You like our chances?  Four pass plays where the opposing team knows you have to pass in an area that small when our red zone offense is horrible?  One sack or holding penalty, and game is over.  The time to score was on 4th and inches, when defense was expecting a QB sneak.  They did the opposite of what they should have.  Instead of starting in shot gun and going under center, the should have went under center to look like they are sneaking, and then go into shotgun and get Allen on the move to the side of the field that had more green space.  Give him the option to run in from there, and also have options sneaking across the line to get opened in end zone.  The line was getting abused all night, why they expected to be able to bully them on that play, makes no sense.  Its bad coaching.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Turn a tie/OT into a loss and bring 2 Time Outs home with you on the plane is now labeled as "gutsy"...

I agree he should’ve called the time out there.  Head coach  rushed it no reason for that also just got stopped earlier on the same play trying to sneak on the left. 

4 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Where was the aggressiveness on the 24 yard and 28 yard field goals in the first quarter?

Would you have gone for 4th and 3 from the 5 in a 0-0 game? Or the 4th and goal from the 10 while leading 3-0 ?

And to note that the DEF was playing lights out at that point of the game. 

I ripped on McDermotts 4th down decisions in the Steelers game, but I thought he was 100% correct on 4th down calls last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Where was the aggressiveness on the 24 yard and 28 yard field goals in the first quarter?

We had the #1 Defense coming into that game.  Up to the point where Henry busted a long run, our defense looked every bit of #1....  You take the points there.  

I don't think McDermott could foresee the wheels falling off and our defense turning into a tire fire in the second half.  

Not comparable to a decision to go for it on 4 and 1 inside the 5, with a chance to win instead of forcing OT.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.