McDermott Has Evolved

Doc Brown

McDermott has been heavily criticized in the past for going the conservative route when push came to shove.  Him choosing to go for it on 4th and inches is a significant step imo as I think Sean kicks the field goal at this same time last year.  His first year when he punted in the snow game making a tie highly likely which would've essentially knocked us out of playoff contention.  He got lucky that it worked out but I still can't defend that call.  Then not going for it on 4th and short before the half last year against KC and again in the 3rd quarter when you knew field goals weren't going to cut it against that team.

In this situation the analytics were on your side.  The way the game was playing out made it an easier decision.  Our defense was reeling and all we needed was the best player on our team tonight to pick up half a hard.  You put it in Josh's hands.  If he doesn't slip it's a first down at minimum and likely would've led to a game winning touchdown.  This loss sucks but I thought McDermott showed the aggressiveness needed in a head coach in today's NFL.  That bodes well for this team going forward.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It has been proven over and over that McDermott is not a conservative coach and has countless instances of being aggressive and going for it on fourth down. He sometimes chooses a conservative route, and sometimes you should as a coach. A coach needs to know when to be aggressive and when to be conservative.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

McDermott has been heavily criticized in the past for going the conservative route when push came to shove.  Him choosing to go for it on 4th and inches is a significant step imo as I think Sean kicks the field goal at this same time last year.  His first year when he punted in the snow game making a tie highly likely which would've essentially knocked us out of playoff contention.  He got lucky that it worked out but I still can't defend that call.  Then not going for it on 4th and short before the half last year against KC and again in the 3rd quarter when you knew field goals weren't going to cut it against that team.

In this situation the analytics were on your side.  The way the game was playing out made it an easier decision.  Our defense was reeling and all we needed was the best player on our team tonight to pick up half a hard.  You put it in Josh's hands.  If he doesn't slip it's a first down at minimum and likely would've led to a game winning touchdown.  This loss sucks but I thought McDermott showed the aggressiveness needed in a head coach in today's NFL.  That bodes well for this team going forward.

And we have a 6'6 260 lb QB.

Of course you go. Josh doesn't slip , we win. It happens.  

His defensive gameplan was awful. One of the worse I seen of him and Frazier. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd rather lose that way than go for the FG and then have a tie.

I love the aggression late going for the W. What I don’t like is settling for chip shot feel good FGs early. Might as well start playing RZ offense as if it is 4 down territory. We simply can’t squander 45% of all RZ trips. Especially early in the game. I appreciate Josh’s 0 career TOs in RZ but something is amiss, and is mostly not being able or willing to use a back like Moss or Gilliam to grind hard yards. 

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He's not 260. I've seen it everywhere from 237 to 250, but it's most likely low to middle of that range. The other Josh Allen, the DE, runs around 255. Are you thinking of him? Our Josh is a big strong dude, but he's been stopped on sneaks before.

And if he didn't slip, he still wasn't getting the yardage there. Might possibly have been able to change direction or something, but they had it stopped.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

It has been proven over and over that McDermott is not a conservative coach and has countless instances of being aggressive and going for it on fourth down. He sometimes chooses a conservative route, and sometimes you should as a coach. A coach needs to know when to be aggressive and when to be conservative.

I guess this came from his time with Riverboat Ron.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't know, that mo-fo from the Titans who BLEW up Dawkins is a big man, he'd have a chance to get it, but it wasn't a guarantee if he didn't slip that's for sure there was alot of flesh he would have to move to make that first down. The left side did him 0 favors on that play.

His combine weight was 262 pounds.  That's before the chicken wings.

Um, think you ought to check that one again. 237 at the combine.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/2018-combine.htm

You may be thinking of the other Josh Allen, the one who is a defensive lineman. That guy, now a Jax Jaguar, was indeed 262 at the combine.

And I don't think that situation put the analytics on our side. They were prepared for the sneak. They had a guy in each of the guard-center gaps and another on the other side of the LG between Dawkins and Feliciano. So both the center and the LG had a guy on each shoulder.

If you catch a team unawares with one of those gaps not covered, yeah, the odds are way in your favor. They weren't on this play.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's not 260. I've seen it everywhere from 237 to 250, but it's most likely low to middle of that range. The other Josh Allen, the DE, runs around 255. Are you thinking of him? Our Josh is a big strong dude, but he's been stopped on sneaks before.

And if he didn't slip, he still wasn't getting the yardage there. Might possibly have been able to change direction or something, but they had it stopped.

First, I don’t have a problem with going for it, but the blocking wasn’t there.  Forget the slip of the feet.  I believe it was Feliciano who slanted in, and the outside penetrated, so Feliciano helped Morse, but there was a gap open.  Allen based on the way the play evolved wouldn’t have made it.  I would’ve been fine with the field goal, and it would’ve been a toss up.  We were moving the ball, and Bass has been consistent for a long time now.  Then again, our D Line wasn’t getting much pressure so it’s a toss up.

I don’t think you pin the loss on that one play.  We have to go back to the drawing board for after the break.  I don’t know if it was a good decision to sit AJ and Basham.  Addison had one play I could see helped, but overall, eh.  Wallace was picked on as expected, but still overall a solid CB.  It’s not Madden and the other four are excellent.  Those penalties by Sanders and the hold on the McKenzie return sucked.  We could’ve won that game and credit to the Titans for playing a tough physical game.

You know after the Cards loss, we destroyed teams.  Look fir the same this year.  Fins, Jags, Jets, Cheats, be very afraid.  You’re going to pay for Henry after four years embarrassing us.  You too Colts, and Saints.  I can easily see us 10-2 going into the Bucs game.  Wentz is nothing, and Winston at times can be a pick machine.  I know you guys are PO’ed, but we’ll bounce back and play more angry than ever before.  They get two weeks to stew on the fact we were not the physical team last night.  They were.  Like us healthy as we can’t blame anything on injuries like last year, they had back their three weapons in Julio, Brown, and the King.  He showed his nickname.  I can hear the call from my 91 yr. old dad we should’ve tackled Henry today.  It’s almost not even worth telling him the man is a truck at 255 lbs., and it’s like tackling a Sherman tank.

The next challenge.  BEAT THE EVER LIVING CRAP OUT IF THE TEAM WHICH IS MY CURRENT HOME TOWN IN THE BUCS. We do that and all is forgiven and forgotten.  

• Agree 3

It should have been a different play.  We badly blew it on a fourth down earlier, we don't do many QB sneaks and so I felt we should have done something different.

Fake the sneak just like they ran it, Josh peel out of there and pass to former TE Spencer Brown who reported as eligible.

We're not good at the sneak. Wrong game to try and get better at it.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

260?  Eating a lot of wings over the last few weeks?  I've never heard any commentator put him at 260.

Just now, BillnutinHouston said:

260?  Eating a lot of wings over the last few weeks?  I've never heard any commentator put him at 260.

Edit:  and he's 6'5".

I loved the call, but didn’t love Daboll trying to get cute again. Yes, it was a simple QB sneak, but Josh doesn’t slip without the trick play element of running up to the line. I understand variety, but we have enough talent to simply line up and beat people. Line Josh up under center, or run a shotgun formation to give him a run/pass option play. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.