Does Josh Always Sneak to the Same Gap?

Paulus

4 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Titans brought excellent inside pressure all night and it just didnt seem like we even tried to adjust for it.  OL looked like hot garbage, but even when they held their blocks, Josh sat back there like he was writing the Great American Novel, not a worry in the world.  Frustrating.

I think it was mostly stunts coming from all over that we just weren't picking up which hopefully is more correctable than our guys just getting whooped by the same 3 or 4 down linemen all game 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s 4v3 and they got blown off the line

yeah this should of been a win for the Oline 5 of our guys vs 4 of theirs I even like the chances even better on the sneak, just poor poor execution by the offensive line.  

Still agree with the call, just tip the cap there defense made a play at a critical time, something our D could not do

BTW i rewatched that play, painful, and see why you are saying 3 vs 4 as the RDE didn't attack, maybe so real truth that they knew josh was sneaking and going left

Edited by ILBillsfan

5 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Prior to last night, I read he was 13/14 (92.8%) and the one miss was because of a bobble snap.  So now he is 13/15 (86.6%).

Sam Monson at PFF has him at 29 out of 32 (that would probably include 3rd down sneaks and sounds more plausible given that he's been in the league nearly 3.5 season). That's 91 percent, which is pretty darn high. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Titans Defensive Tackle said on the radio today that Vrabel coached them throughout the week that Allen only sneaks on the left side of the line.

I think he mentioned something like 10 of his last 11 sneaks have been to the left.

Teams pick up on tendencies like that.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

id love to see it- I keep pounding the drum that it felt like the blocking didn’t match his plan of attack. Those plays are so successful because you can almost always create enough of a wall. You don’t even need great push - just don’t let a guy come clean or get pushed back drastic and the qb takes a foot gain every time.

The right side of the line got a good push. Had he gone to the right he likely converts.

B7-B4927-B-6138-424-D-BA28-529-ECE41-D52

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Shift of philosophy.  We're trying more of the "leave reasonable threads that are nominally different alone, let the Mob sort 'em out" philosophy.

Plus, as the Titans pointed out, they planned for the sneak to the left. 

If there were any Bills' staff/coaches/players reading this, maybe they'd adjust. Everyone gets tunnel vision, and there is a slight chance talking about the specific tendency will eliminate it. Who knows? Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Old Coot said:

I don't think the play was a designed QB sneak.  I think it may have been a designed off Lt tackle run.  Here's why I think that:

First, on a QB sneak the QB lunges ahead immediately.  Josh doesn't do that; he seems to dance to his left & then lunge.

Second, the left side of the line all block down.  That's bound to plug up the left A gap.

Third, at the snap Josh is looking at the outside LB 58.  On a QB sneak the QB immediately lunges into the line so that guy doesn't matter.

Lastly, Sweeney's block on 58 is much too late and as a result there's no running lane off the tackle.

It's true that Dawkins gets pushed back but if the play is designed to go outside of him he's done his job

I was initially thinking the same thing when I saw all 3 OL block down, but I think it looks that way mostly because of the way the Dline on that side lined up and sold out into the gap Josh was going.   It looks like Dawkins is blocking down, but I think it is also Dawkins just trying to make contact basically after the DE who is lined up so far inside just beats him to the spot - Dawkins lost any chance of leverage at the snap.  Josh looks totally focused on just that gap - there really isn't any "dance" when you look from above - he takes a step to the left to hit the gap and the DE is already there. 

Others have said the right side was avail - regardless of what happens on that side - Williams pusing behind Morse (and what is Brown doing just running to the pile instead of blocking the guy from the right - thinking he coud push the pile from behind?)  Josh looks totally committed to just that gap.  The DE lined up and exploded right exactly into the gap Josh had chosen.  I think it does come down to the Titans knowing the tendency and just selling out for it and being in the exact right spot.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

The Titans Defensive Tackle said on the radio today that Vrabel coached them throughout the week that Allen only sneaks on the left side of the line.

I think he mentioned something like 10 of his last 11 sneaks have been to the left.

The right side of the line got a good push. Had he gone to the right he likely converts.

That's awesome stuff; thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

yea but I wasn’t trying to dissect hindsight of who won battles. Show me that same photo pre snap

I wonder if Morse hits the DT and Feliciano catches the crashing end if the helmets end up matching up better for a sneak on that side. was the DE shaded inside dawkins slightly at the snap, giving him no chance at a crashing inside rush? 

You don’t have to maul them, just give josh a friendly body to work off the edge of. It seemed like mongo had a few issues identifying his plug during the game and felt like this was another potentially. Would love a replay.

Here’s an example of what I’m saying as an alternate blocking pattern on the play. End is inside of dawkins (and leans a little more after this shot)leaving him playing catch up- no chance getting inside the end 1-1 there. If mongo hits the end, instead of crashing into Morse/the DT and the TE helps push josh behind the 3 vs 2 it creates would the left side have fared better?

81FE8D5A-4062-4F27-9D7B-13C61A0EEC9C.jpeg

Edited by NoSaint

11 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Anybody got the stats on Josh's qb sneak percentage? I'd guess 90%. It was the right call. Shame he slipped

I heard Eric Wood on Cowherd today saying before last night Josh was 13/14 on 4th and 1 sneaks. The only one he didn’t get was a botched snap. I didn’t see it live and there wasn’t a good replay I noticed at the stadium, but clearly he didn’t have his feet under him properly, as he mentioned post game. 

Based upon that, I withdraw my complaint for not kicking and tying the game. I thought the better team would eventually win, but I’m now 100% down with the call. The execution? That could have been better based upon how everyone lined up. Oh, and Josh not slipping…..

52 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Here’s an example of what I’m saying as an alternate blocking pattern on the play. End is inside of dawkins (and leans a little more after this shot)leaving him playing catch up- no chance getting inside the end 1-1 there. If mongo hits the end, instead of crashing into Morse/the DT and the TE helps push josh behind the 3 vs 2 it creates would the left side have fared better?

81FE8D5A-4062-4F27-9D7B-13C61A0EEC9C.jpeg

There is not enough time in a sneak for Sweeney to make that block. As it was, Allen was already being hit by the time Sweeney makes the block on the LB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.