What are our issues?

Milanos Milano

The biggest “issue” is that Beane traded away an All Pro interior lineman and has thrown three straight second round picks in the garbage.

The Bills are a great team, but they’d be an elite team with at least one more impact player at guard, CB, WR or pass rusher.  Those second round picks have real value and Beane squanders them for no good reason.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Do you know any front four, without blitzing, that get even GOOD pressure with their front four?  We have a GREAT rotation in the front four.  We'll have it all year (we're pretty deep there).  We will get SOME pressure from the front four, some plays/days/games better than others.  But we don't, right now, have the new BRUUUUUCE on the line.  Those are once a generation for a reason.  We had decent play, when he wasn't being HELD every other play, by Jerry Hughes.  We MIGHT have another really nice edge-rusher in the rook.  But give it a break;  teams don't get studs on both sides of the line for multiple years.  We have close to that right now, this year.  Just one of those is in his waining years, and the other is a rook.  Give it a bit of time to level out.

Ed Oliver and AJ were drafted pretty hi and neither are really helping, Ed got blown up all night and hardly ever makes a play and A.J can’t get on the field the guy up top is right we have spent a lot of draft on the D line and it’s not helping. Maybe we should focus that to the oline because we can’t run block to save our life. 

Couldn't agree more. We did nothing to improve the run game. Breida sucks and is inactive. Our OL like last year is incapable of blocking on either side. And our 2 headed running back lacks any type of playmaking ability. 

2 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Ed Oliver and AJ were drafted pretty hi and neither are really helping, Ed got blown up all night and hardly ever makes a play and A.J can’t get on the field the guy up top is right we have spent a lot of draft on the D line and it’s not helping. Maybe we should focus that to the oline because we can’t run block to save our life. 

Too bad we didn't draft up a couple spots and take Diggs. We've have 2 great corners. But the bottom line is we're only going as far as the OL/DL take us. Last night they both sucked.....

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lol its the offensive linemen...run blocking is not their strength.  Singletary/moss had some impressive carries tonight despite having zero holes to speak of.  The salary cap is reduced this season and offensive line talent across the league is diminishing...your team is always going to have weaknesses no matter who you are.  The fact that we have people screaming to run the ball with a running back when you have an absolute freak at qb and you can do run-like quick underneath passes to someone like MacKenzie blows my mind it's like y'all want to lose lol

I agree with you about the oline can’t run block to save there life. But everyone is scared because they no you have to be able to run the ball to win a super bowl period. Win you get in playoffs or make it to a super bowl and your one dimensional it’s game over, we saw that last year in KC win there Dline pin there ears back and rushed the passer not worried about the run 

Frazier is the problem.  Every time the play book is taken away from him the players seem to know what they are doing and don’t look lost .  I have  said it before we won’t go away we’re with Frazier calling the plays.   Case in point against the Steelers he let Big Ben sit back there and pick us apart.  McDermott takes the plays away in Miami and we have 5 sacks and a shut out.  Frazier, is too committed to his 19th century cover 2 and if you think playing that type of defense against KC again is going to work ask the Washington.

Yes, the O could have played better but they put up 31 points. That's good enough to win. Imo, this loss is more on the D. They could barely touch Tannehill which is terrible considering the resources invested in the DL. Couldn't stop their run or the long drives. We played physically against the Chiefs and won. We have to solve the likes of the Titans and Bucs 

Bobby Johnson is a guy who is a poor line coach.   Everyone is saying we traded away an all pro.  The secret to the browns success is Callahan he is one of the best offensive line coaches in the game.  It is not the lineman but the guy who coaches the line. I believe you should get rid of Bobby  Johnson before you get rid of lineman.

6 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Frazier is the problem.  Every time the play book is taken away from him the players seem to know what they are doing and don’t look lost .  I have  said it before we won’t go away we’re with Frazier calling the plays.   Case in point against the Steelers he let Big Ben sit back there and pick us apart.  McDermott takes the plays away in Miami and we have 5 sacks and a shut out.  Frazier, is too committed to his 19th century cover 2 and if you think playing that type of defense against KC again is going to work ask the Washington.

I wasn't sure what Frazier was trying to do.  Either try to contain Henry or not.  His game plan put too much stress on the LB to play the run, react, and then drop into coverage which left lots of gaps over the middle that the QB exploited.  Maybe not playing that base 4-2-5 and going with a 4-3-4 in early downs would have been better.  They forced a total of two punts, the first two drives.  In trying to balance stopping the run and play the pass he did neither.

Also, I didn't see it here but my big issue so far this season is holding or block in the back on kick off and punt returns every game.  I expect to see a flag before every return.  How many times has field position been impacted on returns and last night on McKenzie's TD return?  Illegal blocks that are not even part of the play.  Clean that up over the bye week.

Overall, the Bills lose a game 34-31 when going for a 4th and a couple feet because the line can't get push and Allen slips and can't get traction moving towards the line because the late night temperature drops below the dew point and the grass gets wet. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Titans are physical and the Bills are finesse. Not really much more than that. 

so true.

we really could use a nasty physical guard.  nothing would improve our O more than that.

last night, we got out coaches more than anything.

Tenn is the inferior squad, but they had an answer to everything we wanted to do.  we got 31, and they did get a lot of points from goofy errors and such, but the degree of difficulty our o was playing under was simply higher than them.  just like last season, they were better prepared for this game than we were.

it reminds me of the our tenn game last season, and the playoff run the titans went on in 2019.  vrabel is a caveman, but he gets his guys prepped with a very specific game plan.  i think if you can beat that plan, you walk to victory, but if you can't adjust, you get what we've been getting.

6 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Bills ARE NOT going to win a Super Bowl with Singletary and Moss, period. Todd Gurley is still available. He's only 27, and wouldn't he be an upgrade over Singletary? He was a bruiser just two years ago. I realize nobody has touched him, but going to a SB contender might get him going! Cut Breida and bring him in. They have everything to lose by staying with the current RB's. They have done NOTHING all year.    

Gurley may be an upgrade over Moss. Singletary consistently averages over 5 ypc and everyone hates on him. He's a better back than Moss. 

1 minute ago, colin said:

so true.

we really could use a nasty physical guard.  nothing would improve our O more than that.

last night, we got out coaches more than anything.

Tenn is the inferior squad, but they had an answer to everything we wanted to do.  we got 31, and they did get a lot of points from goofy errors and such, but the degree of difficulty our o was playing under was simply higher than them.  just like last season, they were better prepared for this game than we were.

it reminds me of the our tenn game last season, and the playoff run the titans went on in 2019.  vrabel is a caveman, but he gets his guys prepped with a very specific game plan.  i think if you can beat that plan, you walk to victory, but if you can't adjust, you get what we've been getting.

We had open receivers all over for a lot of the game. Allen ignored them trying to play hero ball. They didn't have an answer for everything we did. This one is on player execution. We should have blown them out. 

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their defensive line was ridiculously bad…. Still think they some what blew it by not pursing one of the myriad of good veteran pass rushers available in FA in favor of Addison and Butler. 

RB is the least of their problems. If they don’t win a SB it will be because they failed to properly address both lines…. The Cody Ford pick could be the pick that holds them back.

Wouldnt go that far.  Groot lost his contain on the two big running plays but beyond that they held up well, issue was mainly the strategy on third downs.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They 4 man rush was non existent.  They didn’t sniff a guy who was the most sacked QB in the league entering the game. 

Because we were so worried about Henry after the big run.  Rousseau barely played after that and rightly so.  We went with our better run stuffers the rest of the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The threat of Henry def manipulated the defense on early downs but it seemed like every 3rd down Tanny had an eternity to throw the ball…. 

Agreed there.  Epenesa would’ve helped if you only put him out there on 3rd and long alone.  I would’ve put Rousseau back out there on clear passing situations too

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Last Night??  The defense. It is not as good as we thought they were. 

I think they are still good. We don’t play well against power teams. Our offense needs to be able to take over games against these kind of teams, to get a substantial lead early. If Josh goes 3 and out against a team like Tennessee and TB we become trapped and even more 1 dimensional than we already are. Every time we play teams like this, it’s apparent our Oline isn’t good enough to win a Super Bowl, but we are very close. 

If we had the Colts Oline we would win the super bowl this year, no doubt about it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.