What are our issues?

Milanos Milano

8 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Bills ARE NOT going to win a Super Bowl with Singletary and Moss, period. Todd Gurley is still available. He's only 27, and wouldn't he be an upgrade over Singletary? He was a bruiser just two years ago. I realize nobody has touched him, but going to a SB contender might get him going! Cut Breida and bring him in. They have everything to lose by staying with the current RB's. They have done NOTHING all year.    

Lol its the offensive linemen...run blocking is not their strength.  Singletary/moss had some impressive carries tonight despite having zero holes to speak of.  The salary cap is reduced this season and offensive line talent across the league is diminishing...your team is always going to have weaknesses no matter who you are.  The fact that we have people screaming to run the ball with a running back when you have an absolute freak at qb and you can do run-like quick underneath passes to someone like MacKenzie blows my mind it's like y'all want to lose lol

Having a #1 RB every week. I thought Zack Moss was taking over that role, but Singletary starts the game tonight. I think Moss was the better choice against the Titans. And I think these guys need consistent carries to get into a groove. I think Moss should've been the main back last night. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lol its the offensive linemen...run blocking is not their strength.  Singletary/moss had some impressive carries tonight despite having zero holes to speak of.  The salary cap is reduced this season and offensive line talent across the league is diminishing...your team is always going to have weaknesses no matter who you are.  The fact that we have people screaming to run the ball with a running back when you have an absolute freak at qb and you can do run-like quick underneath passes to someone like MacKenzie blows my mind it's like y'all want to lose lol

Our identity is obviously a passing team, which it should remain so. But we still have to control the line of scrimmage during running attacks when we need to control the game. We are unable to do so because our line sucks. We are incredibly lucky to have a mobile QB like Allen or we would be screwed. 

1 minute ago, Bubba Gump said:

Having a #1 RB every week. I thought Zack Moss was taking over that role, but Singletary starts the game tonight. I think Moss was the better choice against the Titans. And I think these guys need consistent carries to get into a groove. I think Moss should've been the main back last night. 

They just aren’t good enough. They don’t have enough talent to breakthrough the NFL barrier. They don’t do anything particularly well to stand out. They don’t have enough speed, and they don’t have enough strength. Watching runners like Hunt, Henry, and McC is just proof. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The 'hero ball' critique and the defense getting absolutely demolished seem to suspiciously always happen in the same game lol so called hero ball is the only reason our offense is doing anything in games where our oline gets beat up that bad..honestly if you forced me to criticize the play calling I think we ran too much today and set up too many 3rd and medium ish situations...I think this 'you need to be able to run the ball with a running back to compete' is a complete oversimplification...Tennessee is about the best you can get with offensive balance and I will eat crow if I'm wrong but wake me when they win the super bowl. In fact, we watched the outrageously balanced SF offense lose to a mahomes led offense in a super bowl.  Today was more about the defense not matching up well than anything else

This. 

I said before even when Singletary gets 3 or 4 yards it felt like a loss tonight. I feel like daboll puts josh In 3rd and medium alot cuz he wants to establish the run or keep play action honest. The titans pass defense could get lucky and stop a pass every once in awhile, and running the ball was almost giving them a break. We should have abandoned the run in the 4th and let josh cook, every reciever was burning their defender all night. Grinding the clock and wearing the D down with the run is the titans game not ours and never will be with smaller slower backs like ours unless we have a large lead burning the clock.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Our identity is obviously a passing team, which it should remain so. But we still have to control the line of scrimmage during running attacks when we need to control the game. We are unable to do so because our line sucks. We are incredibly lucky to have a mobile QB like Allen or we would be screwed. 

It seems almost every fan base thinks their o-line sucks.  I think we're an above average pass blocking team and a below average run blocking team.  I get your point though that it will come back to bite us in the postseason.  You have to wonder if Beane is looking at the trade deadline to upgrade at guard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, McBean said:

What he said.

Zero pressure on statue Tannehill.

No excuses.

Tanny played WR at Texas A&M before switching to QB. The man's an athlete.

And that's gotta be one of the best O-Lines.

Nevertheless I'm disappointed as well. Impactful DLines are a huge difference maker between playoff teams

Just now, Doc Brown said:

It seems almost every fan base thinks their o-line sucks.  I think we're an above average pass blocking team and a below average run blocking team.  I get your point though that it will come back to bite us in the postseason.  You have to wonder if Beane is looking at the trade deadline to upgrade at guard.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m still really happy with this team, but like all of here I want to win a super bowl. The only way to do that is get past physical teams like Cleveland, Tennessee, Tampa, and KC. KC is just unbalanced as a team enough to the point we can play a little 1 dimensional to stop Mahomes. You can’t do that against teams like Cleveland, Tennessee, and Tampa. We are really close to winning a super bowl, I just think we are short a couple of players still. If we focus super hard on the Oline in the draft and get 1 FA difference maker on D, and I think we win next year. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

They just aren’t good enough. They don’t have enough talent to breakthrough the NFL barrier. They don’t do anything particularly well to stand out. They don’t have enough speed, and they don’t have enough strength. Watching runners like Hunt, Henry, and McC is just proof. 

That's exactly where I was going with that just with a different spin...air Allen gives the bills their best chance to win and he is masking the deficiencies in the roster which is exactly what you need your star player to do.  Every roster is gonna have holes...our weakness is we have guys that should in theory be decent pass blockers and struggle against the run.  Nearly every team in the league is complaining about their offensive line right now there just isn't elite talent at those positions coming out of college anymore because the college game is so different.  We are gonna go down this road where we force carries with our rbs all in the name of balance for what?  There are plenty of ways you can threaten the defense in a similar way to a rb carry without handing the ball off to a rb.  I am just shocked that the takeaway from a game where the offense was likely a qb slipping/ a different official spotting a ball away from scoring 38 points and that teams defense gave up 6 consecutive scores and we are complaining about the offense lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That's exactly where I was going with that just with a different spin...air Allen gives the bills their best chance to win and he is masking the deficiencies in the roster which is exactly what you need your star player to do.  Every roster is gonna have holes...our weakness is we have guys that should in theory be decent pass blockers and struggle against the run.  Nearly every team in the league is complaining about their offensive line right now there just isn't elite talent at those positions coming out of college anymore because the college game is so different.  We are gonna go down this road where we force carries with our rbs all in the name of balance for what?  There are plenty of ways you can threaten the defense in a similar way to a rb carry without handing the ball off to a rb.  I am just shocked that the takeaway from a game where the offense was likely a qb slipping/ a different official spotting a ball away from scoring 38 points and that teams defense gave up 6 consecutive scores and we are complaining about the offense lol

We don’t have power TEs or FB to play the bruiser game though. You could throw screens all day, but who blocks once teams figure out what you are doing. We are just to 1 dimensional. We are a poormans KC with a better defense. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

4 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

This. 

I said before even when Singletary gets 3 or 4 yards it felt like a loss tonight. I feel like daboll puts josh In 3rd and medium alot cuz he wants to establish the run or keep play action honest. The titans pass defense could get lucky and stop a pass every once in awhile, and running the ball was almost giving them a break. We should have abandoned the run in the 4th and let josh cook, every reciever was burning their defender all night. Grinding the clock and wearing the D down with the run is the titans game not ours and never will be with smaller slower backs like ours unless we have a large lead burning the clock.

Exactly....the Titans and browns are really the last old school ground and pound to set up play action type teams left and I guess we'll see how they do but there is no sense forcing that into your offense when you have so many strengths in other areas.  Like think about Henry tonight...one of the best to ever do it right...you still gotta feed him tons of carries to break big runs. he had a great night and still got stuffed at the line plenty of times.  And all those touches are less touches for the strength of your team against a weak pass defense.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

For me, it’s obvious, that RB/OL is a major need. We aren’t balanced enough to take games under control because we aren’t physical enough when it matters. Allen is exceptionally good, but so is Mahomes, and we have shown and been shown that it isn’t enough. To win in the NFL, you have to be balanced and dominate opponents to keep them off the field in critical moments. If a team wants to take Allen out of the game, we have no counter attack. How many times have we needed Singletary or Moss to impose their will enough to extend downs and to keep enough pressure off Allen to get in a grove. Sometimes it feels like Allen still thinks to himself that he needs to play hero ball at times because he thinks he needs to pick up large chunks of yards or else. I love that he has the heart of a lion and we need that, but its wrong to place that much responsibility on Allen. Most NFL teams have just enough of a power running attack to extend plays when needed, and we just don’t have that because we don’t have a good enough RB and we don’t have enough road graders on the line. We can blame the defense all we want, but at the end of a the day, a powerful balanced offense is the best defense. 

MAJOR issue? Snap judgments by paper thin fans like you. You could go away…one less issue.

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We don’t have power TEs or FB to play the bruiser game though. You could throw screens all day, but who blocks once teams figure out what you are doing. We are just to 1 dimensional. We are a poormans KC with a better defense. 

I'm not talking about screens that's a pass rush beater anyway.  It's just comical how far from one dimensional our offense is I wish y'all could talk to the defensive coordinators game planning against us lol just having thr discipline to prevent josh from scrambling is an absolute nightmare...we hammered kc early with designed qb runs not passes then they had no answers...MacKenzie is a headache then you've got diggs and beasley and sanders to worry about not to mention Knox coming on strong.  It's borderline indefensible trying to double diggs and cover all these other guys teams are probably thrilled when we hand the ball off even if it goes for 4 or 5 yards.  I think we're a better offense than kc honestly...they lean so heavily on tyreek hill that mahomes seems to slip up when he's out of the equation...we have plenty of weapons beyond diggs 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

MAJOR issue? Snap judgments by paper thin fans like you. You could go away…one less issue.

It is a major issue. Allen has to dance back behind the line because he has no choice. I was always wishing we had the olines Peyton had. Clean pocket for days. Then watching our Oline get tossed around in the trenches when we need a nice run play or two. You are blind if you don’t see the Oline as a major problem. 

36 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Bills ARE NOT going to win a Super Bowl with Singletary and Moss, period. Todd Gurley is still available. He's only 27, and wouldn't he be an upgrade over Singletary? He was a bruiser just two years ago. I realize nobody has touched him, but going to a SB contender might get him going! Cut Breida and bring him in. They have everything to lose by staying with the current RB's. They have done NOTHING all year.    

If you're saying we could use a STUD at RB, sure, I'll agree.  But to put it the way you did;  no, you're wrong, and how many teams over that last 10 years have had a STUD RB, as you're defining it?  Especially how many of those won BECAUSE of a stud RB.

It sucks to have lost, today, to the team with the best RB in the league.  Yes, that sucks.  But they won't even make it to the Championship, much less the SB.  Get a F'ing grip!

41 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Do you know any front four, without blitzing, that get even GOOD pressure with their front four? 

Yes

41 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

We have a GREAT rotation in the front four.  We'll have it all year (we're pretty deep there).  We will get SOME pressure from the front four, some plays/days/games better than others.  But we don't, right now, have the new BRUUUUUCE on the line.  Those are once a generation for a reason.  We had decent play, when he wasn't being HELD every other play, by Jerry Hughes.  We MIGHT have another really nice edge-rusher in the rook.  But give it a break;  teams don't get studs on both sides of the line for multiple years.  We have close to that right now, this year.  Just one of those is in his waining years, and the other is a rook.  Give it a bit of time to level out.

We currently have quantity over quality on our d-line. Guys like Obada and Addison aren’t making teams nervous coming off the edge. Neither is Hughes at this point in his career. Groot has potential but so far he’s not showing a consistent ability to beat guys off the edge and get to the QB. That’s a tough ask for a rookie so he gets somewhat of a pass. 

This was supposed to be the year for a guy like Oliver to make more impact plays in the backfield. Admittedly he’s done that against the run but he hasn’t gotten there rushing the QB. 

At the end of the day, we’ve invest a top 10 pick in Oliver, a 1st in Groot and 2nd round picks in Epenesa and Boogie, both of which were healthy scratches tonight. We need more impact plays from the guys up front.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Yes

We currently have quantity over quality on our d-line. Guys like Obada and Addison aren’t making teams nervous coming off the edge. Neither is Hughes at this point in his career. Groot has potential but so far he’s not showing a consistent ability to beat guys off the edge and get to the QB. That’s a tough ask for a rookie so he gets somewhat of a pass. 

This was supposed to be the year for a guy like Oliver to make more impact plays in the backfield. Admittedly he’s done that against the run but he hasn’t gotten there rushing the QB. 

At the end of the day, we’ve invest a top 10 pick in Oliver, a 1st in Groot and 2nd round picks in Epenesa and Boogie, both of which were healthy scratches tonight. We need more impact plays from the guys up front.

We do need better trench play for certain. Whenever Allen has a clean pocket, he’s nearly unstoppable. I fully believe we are a LG/C away from being super bowl winners. 

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Moss had 8 carries and managed 3.0 ypc tonight

Singletary had 5 carries and managed 5.4 ypc tonight

I would say you ware wrong

1 hour ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

Tanny played WR at Texas A&M before switching to QB. The man's an athlete.

And that's gotta be one of the best O-Lines.

Nevertheless I'm disappointed as well. Impactful DLines are a huge difference maker between playoff teams

How can that be.  Tannehil without getting sacked tonight is still the most sacked QB in the league.  He has been sacked 20 times and our team didnt lay a finger on him.  I think our D is good but thats a serious problem.  Not a freaking finger got to him.

Issues? Not sure we have any issues. We played well. We lost, on the road, to a good football team who are on the second longest active run in the NFL for winning seasons (and with Seattle struggling will likely be the longest by January). 

There is a theme for our two defeats though and it is line struggles. Especially offensive line. It is not bad enough to be a liability but it will show up at times and I am not sure that is fixable in season. The Bills have already played their hand in terms of possible solutions I fear.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.