What are our issues?

Milanos Milano

For me, it’s obvious, that RB/OL is a major need. We aren’t balanced enough to take games under control because we aren’t physical enough when it matters. Allen is exceptionally good, but so is Mahomes, and we have shown and been shown that it isn’t enough. To win in the NFL, you have to be balanced and dominate opponents to keep them off the field in critical moments. If a team wants to take Allen out of the game, we have no counter attack. How many times have we needed Singletary or Moss to impose their will enough to extend downs and to keep enough pressure off Allen to get in a grove. Sometimes it feels like Allen still thinks to himself that he needs to play hero ball at times because he thinks he needs to pick up large chunks of yards or else. I love that he has the heart of a lion and we need that, but its wrong to place that much responsibility on Allen. Most NFL teams have just enough of a power running attack to extend plays when needed, and we just don’t have that because we don’t have a good enough RB and we don’t have enough road graders on the line. We can blame the defense all we want, but at the end of a the day, a powerful balanced offense is the best defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

Sometimes a team has your number, and you can't make any mistakes. The Titans are that team. Our mistake happened with the tipped int (there's others for sure but that was a killer). Learn from it and move on. This team has the skill to go all the way. 

Edited by Bferra13
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

We’ve invested considerable resources on our d-line and we still struggle to get pressure and sacks with our front 4.

We also struggle pass blocking and creating holes for the run game.

Hard to fix those problems mid season.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

We were what 7-3 at the bye last year?

We'll be 7-2 going into New Orleans on Thanksgiving.

Oh I know, I’m not worried about making the playoffs. My concerns and focus are squarely on the super bowl. I don’t think we are quite built to win. I thought were were going into the season, but our Oline is just not physical enough. You can’t lose at the point of attack and win a super bowl. A team like Tampa will eat our Oline for breakfast. 

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We’ve invested considerable resources on our d-line and we still struggle to get pressure and sacks with our front 4.

It’s really sad honestly. We just don’t have that d lineman that can take over a game. I think Rousseau will be a good one, but we need big massive human wrecking balls that will command 2 blockers at all times. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Do you know any front four, without blitzing, that get even GOOD pressure with their front four?  We have a GREAT rotation in the front four.  We'll have it all year (we're pretty deep there).  We will get SOME pressure from the front four, some plays/days/games better than others.  But we don't, right now, have the new BRUUUUUCE on the line.  Those are once a generation for a reason.  We had decent play, when he wasn't being HELD every other play, by Jerry Hughes.  We MIGHT have another really nice edge-rusher in the rook.  But give it a break;  teams don't get studs on both sides of the line for multiple years.  We have close to that right now, this year.  Just one of those is in his waining years, and the other is a rook.  Give it a bit of time to level out.

10 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Sometimes a team has your number, and you can't make any mistakes. The Titans are that team. Our mistake happened with the tipped int (there's others for sure but that was a killer). Learn from it and move on. This team has the skill to go all the way. 

2 penalties to take 14 points off the board were bigger killers.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills ARE NOT going to win a Super Bowl with Singletary and Moss, period. Todd Gurley is still available. He's only 27, and wouldn't he be an upgrade over Singletary? He was a bruiser just two years ago. I realize nobody has touched him, but going to a SB contender might get him going! Cut Breida and bring him in. They have everything to lose by staying with the current RB's. They have done NOTHING all year.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Physicality. On offense we are reverting back to finesse when confronting adversity. We trust Josh, and that’s fine, but too often we forget the running game & go to a 100% pass offense. Even the best offenses mix in the run. Moss could be a big factor late, if we weren’t playing from behind and instead were needing to chew clock. We need to find ways to mix in more running plays and be deliberate in our approach. Playing with a lead will help do this, but abandoning the run in a tight ballgame is not my idea of a balanced attack. Do we want to be a team that only runs after we are up by 8 or more?

On defense we need to do better at filling running lanes & winning up front with our front 4. Our LBs were so committed to stopping the run; they got burned on the in breaking post routes off PA.

We have looked bad on OL vs elite DL talent, and looked bad tonight on DL vs a run heavy attack. 

The question remains? Do we want to continue being a finesse offense, or can we be a team that punches in the ball earlier in the game when we get in the RZ, and can we be an elite RZ defense?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What he said.

Zero pressure on statue Tannehill.

No excuses.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TtownBillsFan said:

Do you know any front four, without blitzing, that get even GOOD pressure with their front four?  We have a GREAT rotation in the front four.  We'll have it all year (we're pretty deep there).  We will get SOME pressure from the front four, some plays/days/games better than others.  But we don't, right now, have the new BRUUUUUCE on the line.  Those are once a generation for a reason.  We had decent play, when he wasn't being HELD every other play, by Jerry Hughes.  We MIGHT have another really nice edge-rusher in the rook.  But give it a break;  teams don't get studs on both sides of the line for multiple years.  We have close to that right now, this year.  Just one of those is in his waining years, and the other is a rook.  Give it a bit of time to level out.

AND, (at least I hope!!!), our Frazier knows that as well, and will modify things as needed.  We really just need to blitz a little bit more, and I think we'll start destroying QB's.  We HAVE the front four/five at any given time that can really make a QB's life no-fun.  We just need to start bringing the blitz a little bit more.

17 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

For me, it’s obvious, that RB/OL is a major need. We aren’t balanced enough to take games under control because we aren’t physical enough when it matters. Allen is exceptionally good, but so is Mahomes, and we have shown and been shown that it isn’t enough. To win in the NFL, you have to be balanced and dominate opponents to keep them off the field in critical moments. If a team wants to take Allen out of the game, we have no counter attack. How many times have we needed Singletary or Moss to impose their will enough to extend downs and to keep enough pressure off Allen to get in a grove. Sometimes it feels like Allen still thinks to himself that he needs to play hero ball at times because he thinks he needs to pick up large chunks of yards or else. I love that he has the heart of a lion and we need that, but its wrong to place that much responsibility on Allen. Most NFL teams have just enough of a power running attack to extend plays when needed, and we just don’t have that because we don’t have a good enough RB and we don’t have enough road graders on the line. We can blame the defense all we want, but at the end of a the day, a powerful balanced offense is the best defense. 

The 'hero ball' critique and the defense getting absolutely demolished seem to suspiciously always happen in the same game lol so called hero ball is the only reason our offense is doing anything in games where our oline gets beat up that bad..honestly if you forced me to criticize the play calling I think we ran too much today and set up too many 3rd and medium ish situations...I think this 'you need to be able to run the ball with a running back to compete' is a complete oversimplification...Tennessee is about the best you can get with offensive balance and I will eat crow if I'm wrong but wake me when they win the super bowl. In fact, we watched the outrageously balanced SF offense lose to a mahomes led offense in a super bowl.  Today was more about the defense not matching up well than anything else

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The 'hero ball' critique and the defense getting absolutely demolished seem to suspiciously always happen in the same game lol so called hero ball is the only reason our offense is doing anything in games where our oline gets beat up that bad..honestly if you forced me to criticize the play calling I think we ran too much today and set up too many 3rd and medium ish situations...I think this 'you need to be able to run the ball with a running back to compete' is a complete oversimplification...Tennessee is about the best you can get with offensive balance and I will eat crow if I'm wrong but wake me when they win the super bowl. In fact, we watched the outrageously balanced SF offense lose to a mahomes led offense in a super bowl.  Today was more about the defense not matching up well than anything else

But the OL/RB situation is precisely why we lost. We couldn’t extend drives when we needed to, and we couldn’t control the line of scrimmage. It’s a recipe for losing against physical teams like Tennessee or a Tampa. We aren’t winning a Super Bowl with just an Air Allen. Every Super Bowl winner in the history of the NFL won because they had elite trench play. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

A Guard.  Find one and get a deal done.  

A center as well. There is no reason why a QB sneak can’t get a good push up the middle. Morse and Mongo aren’t good enough. The only NFL elite olineman we have is Brown imo. I honestly hope we draft every single pick on the line next draft and just cut the ones who don’t stick. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.