Josh Made It On 3rd Down!

ExiledInIllinois

Just now, Mark Vader said:

True.

According to the ESPN crew, Derrick Henry was the only player on the field.

Honestly, and this is mean to say, but I think many of the these color commentators especially are kinda dumb. They’re given talking points before the game by producers or behind the camera analysis (“Derrick Henry=good”) and just sort of hammer those. ESPN is especially bad.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

True.

According to the ESPN crew, Derrick Henry was the only player on the field.

When Josh had the pass tipped and had to bat it down dead... The play-by-play guy called Josh: "Tannehill"... Something like: "Good heads-up play to bat the ball down by Tannehill!"

Never apologized, or caught himself.  Just moved on to more Tennessee ball washing! 😕 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is their red line. I didn't put it there.  Josh was still fully in right at this moment.  Why they didn't go to official review (under 2 minutes) is a mystery:

IMG_20211018_233946861.thumb.jpg.c022fa30f21ab408975ee594195fc8a0.jpg

At least review it... 

When he rolled his shoulders and squared them down... Both are in.  His helmet is in on this shot!

I have the other angle and will post it shortly... 

He didn't make it. It was really obvious in slo-mo. I wondered the same thing at first, but he didn't.

He fumbled the ball well behind the line.

• Agree 1

He was short.

The Bills seemed to be like Casey at the Bat.  They could move at will, almost, with the Titans CBs third string.  But it seemed like that would have been too easy.  They kept running the same running play on first down, getting three or four yards.  Then if Allen hit his second down pass, fine, but if he didn't suddenly the Bills were on their heels.  And too many times, there was no joy in Mudville.

There was no reason to run against the Titans.  The weather was good, the field was dry, and the defense was wounded.  

I don't think we got outcoached.  I think we outcoached ourselves.  

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He didn't make it. It was really obvious in slo-mo. I wondered the same thing at first, but he didn't.

He fumbled the ball well behind the line.

But the fumbled ball went out past the line. Hmmm...

IF he fumbled it... It went forward before going out.  Should have been a first down in that case.  IF he lost control and fumbled it. Can a player fumble a ball forward out of bounds, I think they can.  Was he controlling it when his forearm, elbow touched... ?? IF NOT, then the ball was spotted wrong. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

When Josh had the pass tipped and had to bat it down dead... The play-by-play guy called Josh: "Tannehill"... Something like: "Good heads-up play to bat the ball down by Tannehill!"

Never apologized, or caught himself.  Just moved on to more Tennessee ball washing! 😕 

Yeah, I'm not sure he even noticed his own mistake.  It was a good play by Allen.

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

What a game though. It really comes down to those two red zone field goals in the first quarter I think. They had a chance to all but take Henry out of the game in the first quarter. Does Henry even get that long td if the bills score tds there? The safeties are likely playing different, etc.

Absolutely right.  If the Bills got those two TDs the entire game changes.  

I think the play calling was not up to usual standards, and Josh didn't have his usual field awareness.  There were several TDs that we didn't score because he didn't see wide-open receivers.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But the fumbled ball went out past the line. Hmmm...

IF he fumbled it... It went forward before going out.  Should have been a first down in that case.  IF he lost control and fumbled it. Can a player fumble a ball forward out of bounds, I think they can.  Was he controlling it when his forearm, elbow touched... ?? IF NOT, then the ball was spotted wrong. 

I think the rules are different in the last two minutes of the game on balls fumbled forward and out of bounds. Not sure gonna have to look it up…I think that’s the case though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Josh had time to find someone.   Why was no one open?

There WAS an open receiver in the left corner of the end zone.  Allen was just determined to make it on his own, and he wasn't looking to pass anymore once he made up his mind to run.

Edited by Utah John

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

There WAS an open receiver in the left corner of the end zone.  Allen was just determined to make it on his own.

Yes.   But once he crossed the LoS, he can't (can, but may not) throw it.  It would be an illegal forward pass. He crossed the Rubicon so to speak... I would have lost my mind had he made that brain fart.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

There WAS an open receiver in the left corner of the end zone.  Allen was just determined to make it on his own, and he wasn't looking to pass anymore once he made up his mind to run.

Honestly, there looked to be open receivers all over the field that josh missed tonight. Granted, not solely his fault, he had some pressure consistently. But yeah, he missed a bunch.

• Agree 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.   But once he crossed the LoS. He can't throw it.  It would be an illegal forward pass. He crossed the Rubicon so to speak... I would have lost my mind had he made that brain fart.

True enough, but he had time before he crossed the LOS to make the throw.  He committed to the run and that was that.  If he had made it, no one would care he could have passed for a TD.  That was just Josh being Josh.  I'll take it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I think the rules are different in the last two minutes of the game on balls fumbled forward and out of bounds. Not sure gonna have to look it up…I think that’s the case though.

So yeah the immaculate deception rule:

Chargers fans have referred to the play as the Immaculate Deception ever since, and after the 1978 season, the NFL instituted the current rule that a forward fumble in the last two minutes of play (or on fourth down) can only be advanced, if recovered by the fumbling team, by the player who originally fumbled. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I know there's a rule that says no player except the player who fumbled can advance a fumble, in the last two minutes (or five minutes?) of a game. It goes back to a play called the fumblerooskie or something, where the Raiders TE Dave Casper intentionally fumbled forward and someone else fell on it.  Or someone else fumbled and Casper fell on it.  It was a loooong time ago.

I checked on google.  The play I remember was called the Holy Roller and it was in a game between the Raiders and the Chargers on 10 September 1978.  Ken Stabler was the QB and he was surrounded by Charger defenders with the Raiders losing and time running out.  So before he got sacked he flipped the ball forward (making it an incomplete forward pass but it wasn't called that way) and it bounced around into the end zone where Dave Casper fell on it.  The Raiders won.  John Madden was the coach at the time.  

Edited by Utah John

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

I know there's a rule that says no player except the player who fumbled can advance a fumble, in the last two minutes (or five minutes?) of a game. It goes back to a play called the fumblerooskie or something, where the Raiders TE Dave Casper intentionally fumbled forward and someone else fell on it.  Or someone else fumbled and Casper fell on it.  It was a loooong time ago.

Posted it above. Since it was not recovered by Allen (it went out of bounds) it is not advanced.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But it went out of bounds spotted making the first down.   Was it a fumble? Did he have control when his arm hit?  If not, they spotted ball wrong.  

That I’m not sure, definitely gotta watch the replays a bunch more. It was close. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is their red line. I didn't put it there.  Josh was still fully in right at this moment.  Why they didn't go to official review (under 2 minutes) is a mystery:

IMG_20211018_233946861.thumb.jpg.c022fa30f21ab408975ee594195fc8a0.jpg

At least review it... 

When he rolled his shoulders and squared them down... Both are in.  His helmet is in on this shot!

I have the other angle and will post it shortly... 

No he didnt, he was down before the ball went past the line, you just took a freeze frame after he was down prior to this and ball was on the other side.  There is no disputing this, he was 100% down before the marker, they got that call right, the camera was exactly on the line and it was a legit half a foot short.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.