About the #1 Seed

Big Blitz

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Ok just looked at the Ravens schedule again.  

So long as Pittsburgh keeps trying (week 17) there are 4 legit potential losses minimum in there.  Of course they get the Rams in Baltimore.

Minnesota, 2 v Pittsburgh, Green Bay, 2 v Cleveland.

I feel a bit better.  

The Chargers and Titans have the easier schedules.  But will need to match us the rest of the way so....   

Don’t overlook the Bengals either. They could be a tough out for the Ravens as well.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Doesn't matter. (The Ravens are a lock at this point).The Bills have NO RUNNING Game!! You can't win consistently in crunch time, and especially in the playoffs with NO RUNNING GAME. The league now knows this. Most of the Bills running backs numbers are inflated as they have been running the ball late in blowouts against BAD teams. Name a Super Bowl winning team that had NO RUNIING GAME? None. McBean has been great, but their blind spot regarding the running game will cost the Bills a championship this season.   

Ravens a lock?   

They have:

Browns 

Steelers x2

Rams

Packers

Bengals x2

Bears

Vikings

They could lose any of those games.  Id guess they lose at least 2 division games plus rams and packers. 

• Like (+1) 1

So long as Pittsburgh keeps trying (week 17) there are 4 legit potential losses minimum in there.  Of course they get the Rams in Baltimore.

I feel a bit better.  

The Chargers and Titans have the easier schedules.  But will need to match us the rest of the way so....   

Plus let's not forget the Ravens needed a 66 yard field goal to beat Detroit and they blocked another field goal VS Colts. Every week can be a game of inches. They could easily be 3-3. 

I think 13-4 could get the # 1 seed depending on tie breakers but as someone stated we've only played 6 games, long way to go....

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

I feel a bit better.  

I mean the Ravens can't keep pulling wins out of rabbit hats all year long the way they have...they are due for a few losses. When you need a 4th and 19 miracle conversion and the longest FG in NFL history at the buzzer to beat the Lions they have the ability to lose to anyone, just like the Titans do after losing to the Jets.

I think after last night it's crystal clear this team needs to have the #1 seed and home field throughout to have a chance to get the SB this year.

Yes good teams lose to other good teams on the road, but given the Bills flaws it's hard to see them overcoming them on the road in the playoffs, particularly their lack of physicality in the trenches which was also the reason they ultimately lost in KC last year in the AFCCG.

With that said, still going to be a tough path to get there even with a favorable schedule the rest of the way trying to leapfrog a handful of other 4-2 or better teams in conference right now.

10 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Because of Allen, who's NOT a running back. If they don't find a consistent running game, the season is a mirage. The Bills RB's have been piling up yards late in games because the Bills have had big leads against bad teams. I don't count garbage time yards in the 4th quarter. Your numbers are meaningless. The Bills RB's are a huge albatross on this team.. Period.     

A large percentage of the Ravens rushing yards comes from Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 1

At this point, we should be happy to make the playoffs.  We weren't out-schemed or out-coached last night.  We were out-physicaled in the trenches, like we were against the Squeelers, and that is not something that generally improves as the season goes on.  Unfortunately, when we are out-physicaled, JA17 has to be perfect.  The missed TD to Diggs and the failure to get the FD at the end of the game were all that was required for us to lose the game.  All this First Seed and MVP talk needs to stop, and we need to focus on winning the next game. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s even more important than it used to be, as the 2 seed was also awarded a first round bye in the past. An extra game matters at that point in the season.

51 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

At this point, we should be happy to make the playoffs.  We weren't out-schemed or out-coached last night.  We were out-physicaled in the trenches, like we were against the Squeelers, and that is not something that generally improves as the season goes on.  Unfortunately, when we are out-physicaled, JA17 has to be perfect.  The missed TD to Diggs and the failure to get the FD at the end of the game were all that was required for us to lose the game.  All this First Seed and MVP talk needs to stop, and we need to focus on winning the next game. 

Fwiw, I don’t think the Bills have been talking about MVPs or the 1 seed. I’m sure they were focused on winning the game, but simply got beat at the point of attack. I’ll agree, I don’t think they will improve much in that regard throughout the season. They’re built to outscore teams with the passing game and to play with a lead. When that fails, the games become a toss up. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes.  It will help.  

But its just not THE most important thing.  You telling me a team like Tennessee couldn't come into Highmark and do that in January?

Health and getting hot at the right time is.

See Tampa (3 road wins) and KC (injuries to oline) last year.  

It’s more about the bye week for me given how early our bye is. But I predicted Baltimore to get the #1 seed before the season,  so I wasn’t really expecting it. 

4 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'm at the point where I'd just do away with kickoffs period. Place the ball at the 25 and go from there.

I'm getting there with punt returns as well. Not quite, but could be convinced. Not sure how to handle that one, but a play with only penalties is anything but exciting.

4th and 15 from your own 35?  Keeps punts relevant to high octane offenses.  Also odds of converting 4th and 15 are better than onside kick and ultimately more exciting.

Edited by YattaOkasan

12 hours ago, DapperCam said:

The Ravens needed a record breaking FG to beat the Lions, and a super flukey fumble to beat the Chiefs. AND a last minute TD/2 point conversion along with a missed 47 yard FG to beat the Colts.

Things have really broken their way in close games, I wouldn’t say they are a lock at all.

That's all true.  And, the FG against the Lions came when the officials let the Ravens not be penalized for delay of game - the clock ran out at least 1.5 seconds before their previous snap,

And their miracle comeback against the Colts came after all the Colts' CBs were hurt.  (Note, the Ravens took full advantage of that, and the Bills didn't.)

The Ravens are a good team but will lose games in their division.  

I find it comforting (and amusing), that we Bills fans are even talking about the 1 seed & a first round bye in the first place! 🤣

Remember when we all nearly died of pure joy watching some ginger from another team secure the Bills a lowly wildcard appearance?! 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The Bills came a couple yards away from having a track to waltz to the #1 seed.   Now, they'll have to work at it.  Maybe that isn't a bad thing in the big picture.

I had to keep myself from kind of, sort of wishing for a loss last night (I know I know) because I was a bit worried that if they cruised again to another win, they would get complacent (players, not coaches) and not be focused on continuous improvement during the bye week. It wasn’t so much hoping they would lose to the Titans specifically (I hate them)  but knowing they would certainly lose again at some point and this time in the schedule would be the ideal spot to do that. 

the season is long and it ebbs and flows. In losses there are hard lessons that can be applied toward what is hopefully an undefeated post season. Don’t need an undefeated regular season. This is what makes the nfl so much different from college mindset. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes.  It will help.  

But its just not THE most important thing.  You telling me a team like Tennessee couldn't come into Highmark and do that in January?

It's criminal TB had to play in Washington last season lol I wonder if they ever change that 

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes.  It will help.  

Getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs is massively helpful. Just ask the Patriots.

I can’t see the 1 seed happening now. I think, if you told me we were going to manhandle the Chiefs, we better be 6-0. The Steelers loss was inexcusable and last night hurts a lot after we already had that slip up. I’d say at this point get back to work on being a lot more physically up front and hang on to win the division. Hope you can somehow get 2 home playoff games again but I can’t see the 1 being an option with 2 conference losses already. I’d be surprised if we still end up ahead of KC because it’s only a matter of time before they click. Last night really sucks.

The bye is one part, but home field is the critical part.  To me it does matter and playing backups is not a bye in week 18.  

Going into week 18 pretty much #1 is a lock we can still sit or a pitch count with the banged up guys.

For me this is a bunch of my TBD friends POed we lost and didn’t measure up to our expectations.  It doesn’t mean we won’t rebound.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.