Josh Allen 2022 season verdict... OC & DC let him down: 64.5% comp %, 51 TDs, 18 TOs, 97.9 Passer Rating, 313 YPG (offseason assessments page 46 on)

transplantbillsfan

48 minutes ago, ganesh said:

It is a game on the road against a very good defense and a great running game

If Josh Allen is a serious candidate for the MVP award, this national audience game will be the first big push for it. If he plays great with everyone watching--and then two others shortly thereafter (Tampa Bay and NE)--he will get serious consideration. Play big when the spot light is on, and you get attention.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I hate to say it but idk how Brady isn’t the clear front runner. 

He’s thrown 27 TDs so far this year and leads the league in yards. Maybe these are based off of what they expect to happen 2nd have of the season, which for Allen based on last year, could be lights out. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think "often" is a bit OTT but you are right in that he reminds me of Marcus Peters. He is a gambler at the corner spot. He will always gets picks but he is gonna give up some plays at the same time. He is a playmaker though and the emergence of him and Parsons plus the major upgrade at coordinator has been big for Dallas.

Dont get me wrong, I like him and his INT total is crazy…but I don’t think his style of play is sustainable.  

Yeah, the INTs are exciting, but he won’t ever be able to keep that pace or volume in terms of frequency.  At some point to be an elite corner he’s going to have to adjust.  When the turnovers stop happening so frequently, he’s just going to be a another guy who gives up too many plays or TDs that teams don’t fear like they fear a Tre White for example. 

There is a reason why teams keep throwing at him.  There is a reason teams don’t throw at White.  

Don’t get me wrong, his INT total is insane right now, and a major accomplishment.  And I agree him and Parsons are really impacting that D between his interceptions and Parsons overall play.  But I think his style is gonna catch up to him and we will see then if he can adjust and start becoming a guy teams avoid.  

Parsons has been phenomenal for them and I think is headed to becoming an elite player for a long time.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If Josh keeps playing well and accounting 80% of our offense I think he ends up winning MVP. 

Voters were skeptical last year that it was a fluke (and Rodgers balled out) if he finished with another high end season for the 2nd year in a row they’re going to lean a little more his way. Especially with how congested things are. 

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

He’s thrown 27 TDs so far this year and leads the league in yards. Maybe these are based off of what they expect to happen 2nd have of the season, which for Allen based on last year, could be lights out. 

Kind of similar to MJ or LeBron. They are or were always so good they could win it every year.  Brady is in that conversation, but the media and the league for that matter is always looking for the next great player.  Wilson and Mahomes were that and now Josh is that guy. May come down to whoever plays better Dec 12th

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

If Josh Allen is a serious candidate for the MVP award, this national audience game will be the first big push for it. If he plays great with everyone watching--and then two others shortly thereafter (Tampa Bay and NE)--he will get serious consideration. Play big when the spot light is on, and you get attention.

I am sure Josh understands it more than anyone else.   He was a slipped 4th and inches call away from beating two of the top dogs in the AFC.   He is now going to play on national TV against the Saints,  Patriots and the Panthers.  I think he is going to be ready.  

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dont get me wrong, I like him and his INT total is crazy…but I don’t think his style of play is sustainable.  

Yeah, the INTs are exciting, but he won’t ever be able to keep that pace or volume in terms of frequency.  At some point to be an elite corner he’s going to have to adjust.  When the turnovers stop happening so frequently, he’s just going to be a another guy who gives up too many plays or TDs that teams don’t fear like they fear a Tre White for example. 

There is a reason why teams keep throwing at him.  There is a reason teams don’t throw at White.  

Don’t get me wrong, his INT total is insane right now, and a major accomplishment.  And I agree him and Parsons are really impacting that D between his interceptions and Parsons overall play.  But I think his style is gonna catch up to him and we will see then if he can adjust and start becoming a guy teams avoid.  

Parsons has been phenomenal for them and I think is headed to becoming an elite player for a long time.  

I doubt he will ever have this many again, agree with that. Marcus Peters had 8 as a rookie and has never matched it. Part of that is people will stop throwing at him quite so much but they will adjust when they throw at him and how they throw at him to try and take advantage of his aggressive style. But Peters has still averaged over 5.5 INTs per year in the years following his rookie season, so being a ball hawk who regularly takes the ball away is sustainable. You don't have to be Tre White to be an impactful corner in the NFL. There are maybe two or three guys that teams don't throw at - Tre White, Jalen Ramsey and increasingly Jaire Alexander - even the other top 5 or 6 guys like Hayward and Humphrey and Lattimore get thrown at. Being a guy who takes the ball away regularly is, in itself, an impact and Diggs has the instincts and that real aggressive style to sustain making plays in this league. Basically it isn't just luck. Diggs is good. His style is boom or bust, but so is Marcus Peters, so is Xavien Howard... they have still be really good corners in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

It's largely based on projection of team W/L record at the end of the year and who will have the #1 seed IMO. Two weeks ago and even going into this week both the Bills and Bucs looked like the odds on favorite to land those #1 seeds. A lot of QB's will have great numbers and production. Only two will be on teams with #1 seeds. 

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

Gee, that's not asking for much.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not Gene but it really isn't asking too much. He's in a two game slump currently but there is really no reason why he shouldn't be averaging 2.5 TD's per game. I don't think they all have to be passing TD's though. Just 2.5 per game run or pass would give him 42 for the season which would have him in the mix. Then it comes down to getting the #1 seed really. Probably about 50/50 right now of that happening. 

51 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

If Josh keeps playing well and accounting 80% of our offense I think he ends up winning MVP. 

Voters were skeptical last year that it was a fluke (and Rodgers balled out) if he finished with another high end season for the 2nd year in a row they’re going to lean a little more his way. Especially with how congested things are. 

there is definitely no clear front runner this year. It is wide, wide open. It is the sort of year where had he stayed healthy I think they might have given it to Henry because no single QB made an overwhelming case and he was on pace for 2,000 yards. If I was having a dabble on it right now I think Dak at 8/1 is where I'd put my money. I think he is the value in the market. I suspect it will come down to Josh, Brady and Dak and Josh and Tom are very short. Dak still has four games against crap NFCE teams to stat pad. 

13 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's largely based on projection of team W/L record at the end of the year and who will have the #1 seed IMO. Two weeks ago and even going into this week both the Bills and Bucs looked like the odds on favorite to land those #1 seeds. A lot of QB's will have great numbers and production. Only two will be on teams with #1 seeds. 

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not Gene but it really isn't asking too much. He's in a two game slump currently but there is really no reason why he shouldn't be averaging 2.5 TD's per game. I don't think they all have to be passing TD's though. Just 2.5 per game run or pass would give him 42 for the season which would have him in the mix. Then it comes down to getting the #1 seed really. Probably about 50/50 right now of that happening. 

I very respectfully disagree, Sammy, if for no other reason than it is traditionally an important measure stick for a QB and for being MVP.

Right now he is tied for sixth in the NFL in TD passes with 19, and the league leader and the guy trailing him have 27 and 25 respectfully.  I doubt they or the others will drop off.  I just am having difficulty seeing 36TDs, with 6 rushing TDs and a total of 42, and a 13-4 or 12-5 record getting it done compared to others around the league.  Especially when he finished second last year with 44 total TDs.

He was great yesterday...to win the MVP, the topic of this thread, he needs to be even better than that and for all his remaining games.  

EDIT:  two five baggers (preferably 5-0, but 4-1 works, as well) in the last 8 would go a long way.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Pretty wide open MVP race.  

I believe Josh is the most talented QB in the league, but he hasn't been MVP caliber this year (so far).  That said..  nobody else has been either.  

It probably would've been Henry's to lose, but without him, I think Josh can probably lock it down if we go on a run and he plays well in these upcoming games. 

30 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Asking for 14-3 is kinda what put it over the top for me. There are probably 3 more losses.

Probably. But never know. The #1 seed is what is important. Might take 14-3 or maybe 13-4 could take it too. Titans are on a roll but I could see them putting up a couple stinkers too. And if a team other than the Bills did get the #1 seed, Titans would probably be the most preferred team to do so. Would rather travel there than KC, Baltimore or New England. 

30 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I very respectfully disagree, Sammy, if for no other reason than it is traditionally an important measure stick for a QB and for being MVP.

Right now he is tied for sixth in the NFL in TD passes with 19, and the league leader and the guy trailing him have 27 and 25 respectfully.  I doubt they or the others will drop off.  I just am having difficulty seeing 36TDs, with 6 rushing TDs and a total of 42, and a 13-4 or 12-5 record getting it done compared to others around the league.  Especially when he finished second last year with 44 total TDs.

He was great yesterday...to win the MVP, the topic of this thread, he needs to be even better than that and for all his remaining games.  

EDIT:  two five baggers (preferably 5-0, but 4-1 works, as well) in the last 8 would go a long way.

You may be right. But Allen also didn't have the #1 seed last year. If the Bills did that would have given them a better overall record then the Packers and the vote may have been very close if that was the case. 42 is probably a little low but I think it comes down to Allen vs the NFC QB's if the Bills have the #1 seed. Just can't see it going to Lamar, Carr or Mahomes even if they have better TD totals than Allen if the Bills have the #1 seed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

of all the dumb things on Twitter 

Okay stalker... glad you never post any dumb tweets...

oh wait... :w00t:

And also... the fact that JA has never thrown a RZ interception is absolutely incredible.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.