Josh Allen 2022 season verdict... OC & DC let him down: 64.5% comp %, 51 TDs, 18 TOs, 97.9 Passer Rating, 313 YPG (offseason assessments page 46 on)

transplantbillsfan

15 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

#17 is the best player the Bills have had in a long while and possibly ever. Time will tell. It's a damn travesty to see how he he put his body and everything else he had on the line to bring the team back twice, only to have the defense and coaching staff piss it away. I'm still seething. Baring injury, I never felt so bad for a player. 

It's interesting, I was thinking this week how I felt sooooo bad for Allen as a person after the loss (after feeling sorry for myself of course) - I've never felt that kind of emotional sympathy for a player just based on losing.  It's kind of crazy how much the way he plays and his whole attitude/approach makes you root for him personally - he deserved so much better this game.  Such a damn shame

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, cisco2403 said:

You are only looking at numbers but not looking at the context behind those numbers. The numbers may show that Josh took a step back but IMO he actually didn't. He played in multiple bad weather/windy games and the offensive live was not nearly as good in 2021 as it was in 2020. 

Josh's postseason was not just amazing, it was one for the ages. Its an extreme shame that he isn't playing this weekend to go to the Super Bowl. I think something clicked even more for Josh in the playoffs and we are seeing him playing at even a higher level. Next season, the NFL may see something from Josh that they won't be prepared for. 

He's gonna be the first player in NFL history to play the entire season in shorts.

We all want it

3 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

Disagree. During the entirety of the regular season it was absolutely a step back compared with the 2020 regular season. He was a legit MVP candidate in 2020 and received votes. He dropped off in nearly every metric in 2021 and, unsurprisingly, the Bills regular season record was significantly worse than 2020.

2020 - 4,544 yrds, 7.9avg, 69.2% completion, 37 td, 10 int, 76.6 QBR, 107.2 RT

2021- 4,407 yrds, 6.8avg, 63.3% completion, 36 td, 15 int, 60.6 QBR, 92.2 RT

The numbers don't lie.

Amazing postseason performance and something to build on. That being said, a better regular season performance (obviously not just him), and this team is home for the entirety of the playoffs.

The numbers without context sure can lie.

You conveniently left out his rushing numbers?  And the difference in QB ratings could easily be explained by the much worse weather and the general decline in QB ratings for the NFL this year as fans returned to the stands.

And leaving out Allen's post season performance and focusing only on his regular season makes no sense when trying to decide whether he regressed or not. In fact it seems like you left those numbers out to bolster your argument that he did regress.

3 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

Disagree. During the entirety of the regular season it was absolutely a step back compared with the 2020 regular season. He was a legit MVP candidate in 2020 and received votes. He dropped off in nearly every metric in 2021 and, unsurprisingly, the Bills regular season record was significantly worse than 2020.

The numbers don't lie.

Amazing postseason performance and something to build on. That being said, a better regular season performance (obviously not just him), and this team is home for the entirety of the playoffs.

Cool fact is that Allen played 19 games in 2020 and 19 games in 2021. This includes 3 playoff games in the 2020 season  and 2 playoff games in 2021 season. The numbers are nearly identical. There was no drop off in performance over the course of the entire 19 games for each season. And as many have pointed out the weather was atrocious for many of the home games this year compared to 2020.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The numbers without context sure can lie.

You conveniently left out his rushing numbers?  And the difference in QB ratings could easily be explained by the much worse weather and the general decline in QB ratings for the NFL this year as fans returned to the stands.

And leaving out Allen's post season performance and focusing only on his regular season makes no sense when trying to decide whether he regressed or not. In fact it seems like you left those numbers out to bolster your argument that he did regress.

Sure, the numbers could be different due to the weather.

Rushing regular season stats:

2020 - 421 yrds, 4.1 avg/carry, 8tds, 4 fumbles

2021 - 763 yrds, 6.3 avg/carry, 9tds, 5 fumbles

So yeah, improvement as a runner in the regular season. But do we have to also put that in context? Lack of an actual running game, bad weather, etc?

Bottom line, he was #2 in the NFL regular season in 2020 in QBR. He was #6 in 2021. That's a drop-off, relative to the rest of the league.

Again, these are regular season comparisons. Postseason was outstanding.

2 minutes ago, WNYFAN1 said:

Why not compare all 19 games to get a true sense of whether he regressed or not? It's not like they took a month off after the week 18 game. Why differentiate if we are looking at the big picture?  And as other's have mentioned Allen also turned it on in the biggest games this year in the 2nd New England game and both playoff games.

6 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

The numbers don't lie.

Numbers always lie.  Josh Allen himself has proven that simply with his success as he's made the analytics crowd look like idiots and Brandon Beane look like a genius.

Also, if you are going to provide numbers, at least provide all of them, including his rushing numbers.

2020 - 421 yards, 4.1 YPC, 38 1st downs, 8 TDs, 6 lost fumbles

2021 - 763 yards, 6.3 YPC, 54 1st downs, 6 TDs, 3 lost fumbles

And for God's sake, can you even try to consider how awful our OL was for a good stretch this year and the some of the terrible weather games we played in.

Allen's getting better, even if the numbers don't.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Numbers always lie.  Josh Allen himself has proven that simply with his success as he's made the analytics crowd look like idiots and Brandon Beane look like a genius.

Also, if you are going to provide numbers, at least provide all of them, including his rushing numbers.

2020 - 421 yards, 4.1 YPC, 38 1st downs, 8 TDs, 6 lost fumbles

2021 - 763 yards, 6.3 YPC, 54 1st downs, 6 TDs, 3 lost fumbles

And for God's sake, can you even try to consider how awful our OL was for a good stretch this year and the some of the terrible weather games we played in.

Allen's getting better, even if the numbers don't.

Agree....Although I'm no fan of those designed QB runs, in any event Josh did much better holding on to the ball this year when scrambling/rushing.

4 hours ago, WNYFAN1 said:

Sure, the numbers could be different due to the weather.

Rushing regular season stats:

2020 - 421 yrds, 4.1 avg/carry, 8tds, 4 fumbles

2021 - 763 yrds, 6.3 avg/carry, 9tds, 5 fumbles

So yeah, improvement as a runner in the regular season. But do we have to also put that in context? Lack of an actual running game, bad weather, etc?

Bottom line, he was #2 in the NFL regular season in 2020 in QBR. He was #6 in 2021. That's a drop-off, relative to the rest of the league.

Again you are using misleading numbers.  I don't care how many fumbles Allen had I only care about how many he lost.

And again for your data to be useful you must combine ALL the data from Allen's regular season and playoffs in 2020 and then compare that to Allen's regular season and playoffs in 2021. 

I have to say: Allen elevated his play in the playoffs to a level I have never seen before by a QB. If his play in the playoffs is an indicator of his ultimate peak potential then my lord the NFL is in trouble. Even if its not and we get it here and there then the NFL is still in trouble. What a time to be a Bills fan. Rejoice people. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Anyone who can’t get the hoodie arguably the greatest defensive coach in league history to get him to punt for 8 quarters has very little to work on.

I would actually like whoever takes over as OC to save Josh’s big runs for the Big games and run more 2TE sets but that’s just me 

I think this is a great point. I want there to be some kind of light switch installed in Josh.

Off = Passing can get the job done so don't run and if you do go OB or slide

On = Beast Mode. Someone else can come up with a different name for copyright purposes... but that’s pretty accurate.

I want Josh to be our QB and playing at a high level for the next 15+ years. Running is just one of the things that makes him so incredible... we need the on/off switch so he doesn't turn into Cam Newton.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think this is a great point. I want there to be some kind of light switch installed in Josh.

Off = Passing can get the job done so don't run and if you do go OB or slide

On = Beast Mode. Someone else can come up with a different name for copyright purposes... but that’s pretty accurate.

I want Josh to be our QB and playing at a high level for the next 15+ years. Running is just one of the things that makes him so incredible... we need the on/off switch so he doesn't turn into Cam Newton.

Yep Daboll parlayed Allens crazy athleticism into a big payday for himself and kept going back to Josh’s legs when all else failed. I’d rather have a more creative OC use Josh’s abilities here and there and not all the time 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.